Wondering about MT

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Wilson, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

hey everyone,

well I am going to take MT soon, but i have a few questions before I am possitive about taking it.

Ok well first of all my friend is being really wierd about me taking MT, he says im going to kill myself if i take it or somthing, and he takes shaolin kung fu and he says that his instructer says it is bad for you or somthing. why do you guys think he is saying this?

and my last question is if somone could list a pros and cons list about MT please.

thank you

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Because he probably likes to believe you can be a good martial artist without the blood, sweat and tears you'll find in an MT gym, by doing forms and silly hand movements. It's not true.

go do some MT :cool:

3. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

Bad for you? Does he mean bad for your health? Elaborate please...
    If he means bad for your health, then the same can be said about any other contact or vigorous sport. You don't have to compete or anything, you can just take it for fun, exercise and physical conditioning. If you do decide to fight in the ring, then bumps, bruises and (hopefully not) breaks will eventually come with the territory.

Pros:

develop great conditioning, simple and brutally effective fighting technique, very fast learning process, ring proven, widely popular all around the globe and in the mixed martial arts, kickboxing arenas.

Cons:

very hard style, no groundfighting or weapons taught in sport muay Thai, techniques are heavily dependent on your body, fighting abilities may decrease with aging process and wear tear of the body

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

5. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

thanks guys this helped alot

6. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

A lot of people from other martial arts still have a pretty narrow-minded bias against MuayThai. MuayThai is no more or less dangerous than any other contact sport.

7. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Valued Member

People are narrow minded against Muay Thai. Its true most people think it will hurt you but thats not true. The level of conditioning a muay thai fighter has is higher than most martial arts. People wonder why they can take so much pain and dish out so much damage. In terms of going toe to toe with a thai boxer most styles have trouble dealing with muay thai becuase the fighters are too well conditioned to be damaged.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What your buddy actually meant was that it would be bad for him, or anybody else who'll get on the wrong side of you ;)

MT training is generally more effective than most because they actually FIGHT! :D

9. steven.bradbury

steven.bradbury bradders

MT bad for you totally the opposite.It conditions you gives you confidence without being cocky.Try it you will find your own answers.PSyou will love it.

10. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

OMG OMG WTF??!?!?!
    i just got into a argument about MT and my friend flipped out on me

me: yoo
    friend: YO
    me: sup?
    friend: nm
    me: samme
    friend: YUP
    me: im going to do muay thai
    friend: YOUR GAY
    me: ur gay
    me: why am i gay'
    friend: because you r fool stfu
    me: they dont make you break wood (his previous argument against MT)
    friend: shut up your stupid
    me: your stupif
    me: and ignorant
    friend: you u r
    friend: spee it right
    me: you u r...spee?
    friend: stupid key bored
    me: lol
    friend: your dumb dont talk to me if u take that ever agein
    me: wow
    friend: YUP
    me: why do you hate it so much :-(
    friend: ITS STUPID
    me: EXPLAIN! why is it stupid
    friend: because all it is is boxing thats it
    firend: and they beat the crap out of you
    me: its full contact sparring, boxing with knees elbows and kicks
    friend: YEAH YOUR GOING TO GET OWNED
    me: its conditioning and **** it will get you fit
    me: kennt i know that
    me: i want to get owned
    friend: your dumb stfu
    me: i want to get the **** beat out of me so i can take a punch if i ever need to
    friend: thats stupid
    me: its juust as bad as anyother full contact sport ( football, rugby, ect.)
    friend: NO YOUR DUMB
    friend:signed off at 3:30:44 PM.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

dont they teach kids english in schools anymore? that was painful to read. drop the loser like a sack of potatoes covered in poos if you ask me, hes obviously an idiot.

12. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

btw. hes takes shaolin kung fu, and he claims his sifu told him it was bad?

13. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Don't train Muay Thai under his Sifu then.

14. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

ohhhh k

15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

At the end of a day, it's this guy's sifu's opinion vs a community of thousands of Muay Thai students, a huge proportion of the entire country of thailand, a lot of people in MMA and other MAs and a hell of a lot of fans worldwide.

If this guy wants to kill himself or not talk to you because of your choice of art, that's his problem not yours.

16. OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit Types with one hand...

Well if he does Kung Fu, he would think it's bad, most of the shaolin 'katas' (or shaolin equivilent) begin with a block, thats part of their philosophy, perhaps he sees Muay Thai as too aggressive, but just claiming that it is stupid and you are gay for wanting to practise it is just ridiculous.

17. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Take it hard core for about a month to two months. In that time you should have learned the basic fundamentals...you may not be that great but you'll probably be better conditioned than he is.
    Then challenge him to a friendly sparring match.

Sometimes people can't accept any reality other than HARSH reality.

18. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

oooo i like that idea i cant stop smiling about it, i wish i found out about Mt earlier i cant wait to challenge him.

19. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

yeah, i dont know he is really wierd...everytime i mention the word muay thai he YELL, CHUCK STFU MT IS GAY DONT DO IT...so while me and 3 other friends including him, he says it, and my freinds yell at him back and say theres nothing wrong with mt

20. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

wow what the heck was that about? Got anymore AIM conversations? I love how he says muay Thai is gay.

Dude just take it. You wanted an honest opinion right? Well you got it from us. We've been there, we're already there. Don't ask someone who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Try it out.

It won't hurt......too much.... :p

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006