Won my 1st Gym Spar!!

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by |MT|omar, Dec 3, 2005.

1. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Hey guys, havn't really posted in this section for a while but here it goes...

Today i had my 1st Gym Spar, weighed in at 75kg vs my oppenent at 78kg
    I had about 5-10cm hight advantage over him which was good on my part, but he was pretty solid and built.

Anyway, the spar was 2x 90sec rounds, with 16oz gloves and shinpads.

1st round was fairly even, he punched me nicely a few times in the head, but i shin kicked his thighs heaps and he lost a bit of his speed through that.

2nd round he realised that i wasn't doin much punching and he started movin in which was perfect coz i just love my pushkicks :D every time he tried to get close i gave him a nice one right in the stomach... towards the end of the 2nd he tried getting in close for a combo, but i did my trademark pushkick to the face

looked a lot like this, but unlike dekker i had my guard up :p
    [​IMG]

Anyway, it was awesome, such adrenaline and yes, im getting the pics and possibly the vid hopefuly on monday which i'll share with you guys

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

what makes a gym spar different from regular sparring? is it like a smoker with someone from your club?

3. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Umm i donno to tell ya the truth, i guess gym spars are made so you can fight someone you havn't had a fight against from another club... also gives you a feel for the ring and the audience, coz there's usually around 100+ ppl there.

But yeah, it was good fun

4. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Sort of like an inter-gym competition?
    All the gyms from the same corporation get together and have a little competition sorta thing im guessing?

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

That sort of thing, but more competitive than normal sparring.

6. Vexed

Vexed New Member

Give MT Omar some cred for goodness sake. He had a go and did well.

Good onya mate.

:D

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

:eek: Congratulations Omar, I lost my first interclub sparring match to a 2:1 decision, I wasn't too upset, the other guy had 3 years experience on me, and was in better shape.

8. backkickgurl

backkickgurl New Member

even though im not muay thai gurl i thought id just pop in here and say well done hope theres lots more wins in store for you :)

9. sean

sean THOR!

Congrats! Not too sure that i`d ever teep someone from my own gym in the face but that's just me.

Sounds like a good idea to have a full contact full thai rules fight in preperation.

How come the rounds were so small? and so little of them?

10. Cos it was an interclub. Granted, the rounds are often longer, but they normally only have 2 rounds.

well done btw omar

11. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

actually no, my parents hate the idea of me fighting, they said "this is your first fight, and your last" i guess im happy i finished while i was still ahead :p

Nah it's like a huge comp with about 7 other gyms there. Most gyms had atleast 5 ppl fighting for them, while my gym had only me haha. Anyway, at the gym spars you never fight someone from your gym.

The rounds are short and quick coz it's just a little preperation to settle your nerves incase you ever want to get into Pro fighting i guess.

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

oh ok i was kind of confused by interclub sparring, sounds cool though. Its a good stepping stone from sparring in class to fighting in a ring in front of a paying audience thats for sure. I have done a few, won 2 and lost 1, and my coach says the experience will be great for when i fight in a stadium

13. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Yeah that's basically what it is, a good taste of what's to come without getting KO'd :p

14. Brynja

Brynja New Member

You would like to think so! Not always the case :D
    Congrats btw

15. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Here's a few pics as promised

Im the one in the white tanktop

Attached Files:

16. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Cool photos. Can you get a vid up?

17. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Well done Omar! :D

One question- why is your opponent wearing headgear but you aren't?

18. elnan

elnan Valued Member

Nice going Omar. Great frontkick ;)
    Whats up with the other guys headgear? Asumed you couldnt use anything on the head.

19. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Nice teep man! shame the refs in the shot!

20. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

The head gear is optional, personally i'd rather not spend $100 on a helmet which i'd only use once or twice