Won @ Advanced!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Korpy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Hey there!

I am a long time member, but I haven't posted in awhile. This year, I started actively training and teaching martial arts again, after a few years off from personal tragedy and many other issues. But this year I was able to return, and return to form! A little over four weeks ago, I competed at a no gi BJJ tournament. I had competed at a tournament ran by the same fellas in June at the advanced division and managed to beat a couple purple belts to win. This time it would be more difficult, but I would be able to take home the victory...

I competed at 185lbs, even though I weighed in at 160lbs since nobody showed up at my weight. I was in the advanced division, and figured this would be a great way to showcase my technique and the power of BJJ. Even though I am only ranked as a blue belt (though I know I am at a higher level), I was able to win the tournament.

My first opponent was a BJJ brown belt, who owns his own academy. I won by triangle choke in a little over two minutes by triangle choke. Video is below.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lEvRxZxY0Y"]Corey Kuropas vs Paul Flores @ NOGI Grappling Series - YouTube[/ame]

I then had to face an experienced submission grappler and local MMA fighter. I beat him by points decision. Video is below.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5HposlfQWg"]Corey Kuropas vs Alphy Gutierrez @ NOGI Grappling Series - YouTube[/ame]

I am very proud that I was able to do so well and beat such experienced opponents. I hope ya'll enjoy the videos!

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

And for reference, I am the fella with the long black rashguard and black/red board shorts.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Korpy! Welcome back. :)

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Hey ap! It's great to see that you still post! How are you, my friend?

5. liero

liero Valued Member

In the end...they all come back! Congrats on the successful return to peak form!

6. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you liero!

I have one more Jits tournament coming up next month, then my plan is to return to the cage and fight in MMA in February.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good mate. Retired from all this stuff after a recent kidney transplant. Though (just so I fit into this forum) my final training experience was in BJJ. :)

How about you? Looks like things are going quite well.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Beast! And tape too! Congrats :D

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Korpy welcome back. Excellent skills and desrved victories.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Korpy!!!

Nice to see you still kicking behinds!

Welcome back to MAP

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

God bless you! I am glad you were able to enjoy BJJ as a final experience. The art has done so much for me. Things are going well! Both in the martial arts and professional worlds.

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

It is good to see so many of the old posters still left! Gosh, I remember posting here as an inquisitive and dumb kid. Ya'll put up with me lol.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Blimey! Korpy! There's a name that hasn't popped up in these waters for a while! Welcome back!

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Good stuff Korpy! Welcome back to MAP

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Nice work man!

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Brilliant stuff korpy, and great to see you back here on MAP. :)

Mitch

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Loving to see all the love from my fellow (old) MAPPers. I'll keep everyone updated on how the December tourney goes. Submission only fits my style more, so I am expecting good things for it.

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

And I forgot to mention, but very cool to me. The one and only Jeff Glover shared my video on Facebook and complimented me on my technique. I was in awe of that considering Jeff is one of my martial arts heroes.