Womens Wrestling at Olympics 2008

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Melanie, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Womens wrestling was finally added into the Athens Olympics in 2004 and will be on again in 2008. Is wrestling a good form of self defence and how practical (or not) is it in your opinion?

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I don't know the answers but it should be fun to watch at the olympics.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Very effective as wrestling is practiced against non-compliant partners and teaches excellent balance and poise.

4. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I think it would be very effective against the average rapist. It would also work well I would think, against the standard grabs which seem to be a popular threat amoung most self defense classes. I have personally found grappling highly useful, I would assume that wrestling ought to fall in about the same catagory.

5. tellner

tellner Valued Member

If you wrestle you'll be in good shape and have a lot of strength, plus all the other good things people have talked about. It's not perfect for self defense. There's a lot to be said for learning standing hits. And on the ground most wrestling stresses going for the pin rather than disabling. But it's a great component of a thorough self defense strategy.

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Any type of contact martial art is going to help. Especially one that helps breed a competitive mindset. (That's my way of saying that I agree with everything ya'll are saying!)

- Matt

7. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

Honestly, when you think about it, wrestling with merely a few modifications would be very good, it'd just be difficult to teach in any standard self defense class, not to mention the average woman is liable to be a bit timid doing it.

8. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

wrestling would be very useful. I imagine a rapist possibly tackling his victim, in which case, wrestling would allow you to escape.