Women's Self Defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Moi, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So who are you traing against or would it matter?

Is it gender specific training?

Just wondering :)

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I would say it depends which part of the world or neighbourhood they live in.

Some people (wealthy) need little more than learning when to back out of a situation

3. Moi

Not something I've considered but yes, huge difference. I'm thinking UK, US as it's my only background and probably the majority on MAP

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. Moi

I doubt wealth makes much difference apart from press interest. Relationships can be power struggles for rich, poor & always stupid

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

We were talking about Rihanna earlier...

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

???

Just thought I'd point out that wealthy women are physically victimized as well.

:confused:

7. Moi

I just had to delete my flippant answer as I realised it's my thread?!

It's kind of the point. Women pretty much always know their attacker. Guessing most of them are in a relationship with the person that kills them

Don't see much bar BJJ and 1/2 of judo that actually deals with this

Don't tell me there's sexism in martial arts?

8. Moi

Thought you were saying wealth demanded certain privalages. My bad x

I actually know what you mean. Never before have they ever been physically challenged as they expect politeness from the plebs

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

What kind of self defence? For what setting? In the street against strangers? At home against an abusive partner? For what kind of skills? Fighting? Stopping manipulative behaviour? More data needed. :p

10. Moi

That's what I'm trying to determine. What is the common threat? It's not you that needs more data, it's 50% of the population (or, considering the thread that gave me this idea) or their Dads :)

Women's self defense, what is it?

What should it be?

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

yes but being wealth and living in a wealthy area usually means you dont have to deal with the violence/higher crime rate of poorer areas which makes self defence easier for not only women but men.

if we're talking about relationships then its a matter of learning what an abusive relationship is like and the options available to you if you're in one.

13. Moi

14. Moi

I'm wondering where the attacks are. Are they 'stranger on the street' attacks (figures kindly supplied by Mitch) or are they attacks by the partner or relation?

15. Mitch

You need to read p20 :)

mitch

16. Moi

Still don't see how millions of unreported crimes each year can be included. Or discounted :)

17. Mitch

I believe it's because it doesn't look at crimes reported to the police, it surveys people and asks them about their experiences of crime.

So, I was burgled/mugged/whatever but didn't report it because the police won't do anything/I don't want the 5-0 round as they'll make it worse/I can't be bothered still registers as a crime, even though it wasn't recorded as such by the police.

I've just skimmed the definition to be honest though, so I may be wrong. I'll look in detail when I get chance :)

Mitch

18. Moi

I just think that abuse isn't going to be mentioned by the victim if they're still trapped within the relationship. I'm reading the report on a phone which doesn't help me much but I still think that so much won't get reported or spoken about.
    The report quotes 0.4 % abuse by a known perpetrator, I think it's going to be much higher

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  19. Moi

By then isn't it too late? Self defense should be about effectively dealing with the issue either before it arises or as it's actually happening which is the martial arts side of things that seems not to have a specific credible answer