Women's Self Defense - Ground Choke

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by stonze, Aug 7, 2015.

1. stonze

stonze Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSAsxt9mcVc"]Women's Self Defense - Ground Choke - YouTube[/ame]

Women's self defense is something every woman should look into practicing. There will be a time where you can't get to your mace, taser, and you will have to resort to using what you know to your advantage if you want to be able to walk away from the situation alive.

I will discuss two techniques you can use to defend yourself on the ground if you are being choked. This technique is not hard to do, and you don't have to be strong in order to execute the move properly. Its ultimately a figure 4 arm lock or a Kimora from the bottom guard position, and you use your attackers momentum and weight against them to lock the hold in, and stretch their arm to the point of breaking or pulling their shoulder out of place.

Like these type of videos? Well subscribe to my channel for more free weekly videos and updates. Stonze, MAP is not here to advertise your YouTube channel. Understand that any reference to it at the moment is here only so that MAP members can offer their critique of your material. And I have to be honest with you, I'm not positive that you're going to enjoy it. -ap

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

stonze, you say this is defence against a choke, yet you only grabbed the collar of your opponent.

If you are trying to promote yourself as a self defence instructor, then I suggest at least showing something you've tried and tested, rather than something you learnt in last week's class.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Stonze, isn't that sash level the one you got in your very first sash test? Meaning you are a beginning level student? And then you moved onto practicing Muay Thai in the park with a friend? Or am I remembering your past videos incorrectly?

What qualifications do you have to be "teaching" women's self defense? Or anything at all? Have you moved beyond beginner level yet in any art under a qualified instructor? Nothing at all wrong with being a beginning level student, but if you are going to be putting out "teaching" video's, you need to discuss your qualifications.

You aren't explaining the details of what you are doing, what the principles are behind why you are doing it, or what sort of steps a woman could have taken to avoid getting to that point in the first place. That isn't teaching.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You got the general motion right. Push their wrist up to their neck. However some key points include;

Being "thumbless". Grip with a thumb creates a circle, without it creates a sort of spanner chape, and ultimately more grip.

Keep the wrist close to their body. The closer you keep it the more strength it requires for someone to muscle out

Turning into the technique to finish. You shouldn't be flat on your back at any point really. At the end you turn right in to them.

Also self defence has little to do with actual techniques. It's more about not being there.

Good luck man, I know your heart is in the right place. Format for the channel is really well done.

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

For a practiced and well versed person this might work ..for a SD option too fine a skill...too many things to go wrong ...

For a ladies self defence cours e stick to the basics .....gross motor skills and exit asap ..

Alan

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That was a Terrible Kimura.

Also the Kimura is not optimum for SD.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Honestly...there was no explanation really, the execution was too quick to pick up what was going on (quick at first is OK but then needs to be broken down and properly demonstrated), I think it's odd you went for the non-choking arm as someone with a strength and weight advantage can just lean down on your throat and pull that arm away to defend IMHO, there was no advice on what to do next even if the lock was successful (just watch Palhares v Shields to see what can happen after a brutal kimura...shields could still punch with the locked arm when it was released....what would happen to a woman in the same situation?).
    I think in such a situation a woman is better of stripping the gripping hands by swimming the arms in, kicking off with the legs or at a push armbarring the choking arm.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Most people won't be in guard trying to choke you like that, they'll be mounted. If you've managed to get guard then for self defence purposes there are much better options from there.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Its people like you who get people hurt on the street trying rubbish like this, seriously just stop until you actually have some real training

10. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Stonze,

Take this for what it is, I remember your previous posts and you have not been training for long if I remember rightly.

Why the rush to push out videos ect.. Just train, refine, pressure test and get some teaching experience behind you first.