Womens reasons for taking up martial arts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sianxn, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Sianxn

Sianxn New Member

Hi, I’m a trainee journalist from the U.K. and as part of my degree I am doing a feature on how martial arts can be a confidence builder for women who have come from backgrounds of bullying, abuse, anger issues etc.

I’m looking for women who would be willing to have a conversation with me about their history and reasons for taking up martial arts so I can use it in my feature.

I myself do kickboxing, so I’m not completely out the loop!

If anyone would be happy to contact me about this then please do not hesitate, it’d be appreciated and I could keep you anonymous.

Nachi likes this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Hi, I suppose there aren't many active women on this forum at the moment, so you may not get many answers.
    I wouldn't mind sharing my experience, but I haven't really experienced bullying, abuse nor anger issues, so I probably don't fit the profile, either.

3. Sianxn

Sianxn New Member

Hi, thanks for responding. I’ve been on multiple forums and groups so the search is proving quite difficult (understandably due to the topics)

can I ask your reason for starting anyway?

Thanks.

4. Nachi

Sure, thought it isn't anything special. I always thought martial arts were interesting and thought it might be nice to try one day. But I wasn't enthusiastic enough to go look for a club and try a class. One semester when I was signing up for classes at my uni, I found out there was actually Karate as a type of PE. So I was really fast about signing up there, since it was a very easy way to try and the class would be full of beginners. I thought Karate was a bit mainstream and so if there were other options, I might have prefered a different art, but as soon as the classes started, I enjoyed them very much and was looking forward to the next training all the time. I liked the teacher and his style and skills, too. So after a couple of months, I started taking classes at the his dojo as well and stayed there ever since :)
    Two years ago I also started learning Taiji when I saw a demonstration, which I really liked and thought: "Wow, I'd like to be able to do that!"

There's no deep reason for me starting martial arts. I just want to have fun and I am happy it helps with my health, fitness, etc.

5. Sianxn

Sianxn New Member

Nice, it’s great to hear peoples stories of starting anyway. I don’t think many realise how much they’ll get into before they start! Thanks for getting back to me.

6. Nachi

That's true. No problem. What was your reason for starting, if you don't mind sharing? :)

7. Sianxn

Sianxn New Member

I lost a lot of strength over a small period of time, but I used to love practicing hitting with my dad, so I decided I wanted to build my strength again and also my confidence. Got a bit fed up of looking weak so wanted to make a change. I absolutely love it now I consistently do it