Woman gets beaten in her own home by burglar

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Though this risks a major thread derail, I would say no. When the police are 30 minutes away, you need to be your own 911.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

My understanding was that she as a person wasn't targetted and it was meant to just be a burglary?

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

All burglaries have a pre-determined-scoped out.

No criminal just walks up to any house and kicks in any door.

He had to have followed or seen her

4. Southpaw535

Ah, my bad I thought you meant why did he pick her to attack

5. 47MartialMan

Or a nice long sharp sword in case you run out of ammo :)

6. 47MartialMan

THIS is why you should LOOK upon all of the facts before making such a statement.

In the video, no where do I see "the man of the house" nearby.

Therefore, this guy busted in the house of a mother and her children.

It could have been just about any mother and child.

All of the "shoulda, coulda, woulda" is meaningless rhetoric

A Assailant "chooses" the victim for the best possible chance of success

His first choice isn't going to be a house of barking Pit Bulls

7. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Surely you could take this to mean that SiB's defence measures are working...? If a burglar takes a look out his house, sees a bunch of mean dogs and a gun, he won't want to rob it...

8. 47MartialMan

Well, the burglar wont see the dogs nor the gun.

But yeah, dogs tend to have common burglars stand clear and move on

I did hear of some uncouth individuals who poisoned dogs to get in.

9. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I'd have to search to find it, but I think there some statistics out there that having ANY dog reduces your risk of burglary by a pretty good amount. Even some micro dog. If they hear barking, they are more likely to move on.

I'm sure having some really big mean sounding dogs would only make the burglars even more inclined to pass.

10. 47MartialMan

Exactly.

The dog is a alarm.

I have a freind who kept having foxes and coyote-like canines come near his house and chickens.

His wife got a little yorkie which barks at any hint of activity.

My friend says he saw a few run away after hearng the barks for the first time and laughed that these larger animals were afraid of a smaller one.

I told him they weren't afraid of the smaller, they were afraid of him be alerted by the bark of the smaller

11. Southpaw535

Someone in an interview with a group of burlgars (Geoff Thomspon?) was told if they saw a "beware the dog" sign they'd move on. Plenty of houses in the world.

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Its the same with hallway lights being left on, alarm boxes in full view, solid doors and windows. The key is to not be the easiest or most attractive target.

13. 47MartialMan

And yet, with these extra measures of home safety, people still cannot seem to escape trouble whenever there is name-calling, territory issues, etc. away from the home.

What good is it having home security-protection when somone does not do so for personel safety once they leave the house?

14. 47MartialMan

A LEO once told me there are veteran criminals and honest criminals.

Veterans are those who know what to look for.

Honest, are those who "honestly" dont know what they are doing.

15. holyheadjch

Because some protection is always better than none. I don't see how not protecting yourself out of your home means you shouldn't protect yourself in your home.

16. 47MartialMan

Well in the course of the thread, I am curious as why this guy went to that particular home.

As I stated, some people will take the safety measures for home, but not when away.

In other words, I have seen people get into trouble away from the home (where they have security like alarms, dogs, better locks, etc.), they do not employ the same mentality

17. holyheadjch

I imagine it was because it had a door he could force open and he had some reason to believe that the occupants either weren't home or would be easily subdued.
    I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the point you are trying to make.

18. 47MartialMan

I think he knew who was there. I think perhaps he had been watching the house.

And going for jewelry, I think he nay have spotted her in a previous time/place wearing it

Not with this case;
    The point is, some people take the precautions at home but do not realise to take same/similar precautions for their personel safety away from the home

19. righty

righty Valued Member

The likely answer to most of those questions can be found within news articles and the links used on this thread.

And for some reasons I doubt anyone will be releasing the medical details of the children involved.

20. Jepha

Jepha New Member

This makes me think of my father. Years ago... before I was born, late at night a man was breaking into the house where my parents lived. My dad woke from a strange noise in the other room and grabbed his pistol. When he saw the man coming into the window he told him to freeze. Scared, the man made a quick movement towards his pant line and this was the last move that man made. My father shot him three times. To this day it messes with my dad to think if there was another way. The point is in the crazy world we live in you can't take any chances or that may be your last move. The man that was breaking into the house was unarmed... My father was protected by the castle law. He did no wrong in the eyes of man.