Woman gets beaten in her own home by burglar

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 26, 2013.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

The highlighted part of this quote is what most people don't think about , we'd all like to think that if we found an intruder in our home that we would "deal" with them , however , if any normal person killed a complete stranger (much more likely with a firearm) there would be some kind of psychological damage to overcome.

2. Jepha

Jepha New Member

At least there should be... I pray to live the rest of my life and never harm another.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

At least your dad had the humane understabding of shooting someone.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

This is why if you are training with self defense in mind you need to accept the fact that there may be a time when you may be forced to seriously injure and/or kill another human being to preserve your own well being of that of another. If you don't think about it in advance it can affect you greatly.

5. 47MartialMan

Agreed.

But thinking about it and then doing it are entirely different things on the mind.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Coming to terms with it beforehand is one of the biggest parts of it in my opinion. If you take action and feel 100% justified in it, you're going to accept it a lot better than if you were only 90% sure.

7. 47MartialMan

True. But thinking about killing someone and having doing so, makes a big difference on the mind.

8. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

about gun owners and people who love the second amendment. I dont like to see people get too fanatical about this. Because I wouldnt want them to think a gun will solve all their criminal problems. They are not invincible. The same as martial artists.

I agree. and yes I do see why he is angry at SIB. That experience is very tramatic that he had, and would annoy anybody, being called a `murderer" because of that. But hey. There are things that MAPPERS have done and said that makes me really not like them at all. No I'll be honest and say I really cant stand them. But, I dont bring it up in every post or thread in which I encounter them in. There is a time and place for it.

:p :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4"]Jaws theme!! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  9. 47MartialMan

The same as anti-gun people thinking the gun will create more criminal problems :hat:

As far as "invincible", I mentioned on another post that some people with guns "think that it is a force field or shield”.

Simply having a gun, and prepared to use it, will not shield one from bullets coming their way.

Think of it as this; LEOs are trained 10x more than civilians, and some do get in a shootout. If they get hit returning fire, what makes a civilian who owns a gun, believe that no harm will come to them?

I think it is too much of an over-confidence, over-faith, or sheer complacency

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  10. Blade96

Yeah, I guess kind of like that....going too far.

I am not anti gun. I dont believe guns create criminals. That is something that is so very very complex, how criminals are created. I think its a combination of nature and nurture. No criminal says to their friends or parents when they're kids Hey I when I grow up I wanna be a serial killer!"

11. 47MartialMan

History has proven most "serial killers" do not use guns ;)

12. Blade96

Hmmm. Thats interesting. I think I'd like to see some stats and evidence on that 1. That soounds interesting.

13. 47MartialMan

Research Serial killers......geez:rolleyes:

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

No need to be a douche about it mate.

No evidence on my part, but using my mental sterotype of serial killers it makes sense. Most get some sort of joy/pleasure out of killing right? A gun's too quick and too detached. If you have some sort of fascination with murder you'll strangle or use a knife because its slower and you get to enjoy the moments of your victims life fleeting at your hands as opposed to pulling a small trigger and its done.

Think the Joker's speech in Dark Knight about why he uses a knife :p

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I bet a fair few American serial killers use guns to at least coerce their victims in some way.
    Even if they don't use them to kill them.

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

For sure, but that can be replaced by a knife quite easily I would think. I don't know anything about serial killers from a psychological perspective so I'm talking out my bum, but I would think they're predatory. Guns might be used to coerce victims into getting into a car or something but I doubt serial killers are drawing down from the opposite end of a car park to threaten people. I'd imagine their initial attacking of a victim is much the same as a predatory rapists.

17. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Most cops I know of only shoot enough to get their qualifications.
    People who shoot as a hobby otoh, would shoot much more.

18. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

The most succesful and prolific serial killer of all time did though.

19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Pedro Lopez I believe - and he didn't