WJJF

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Prizewriter, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I love the way the WJJF moves that are high percentage, are all the Judo ones!

I wonder what the optimal way of training Judo moves is, the Judo way, or the WJJF way?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Oops, misread you. Mea culpa.

3. nigelnire

nigelnire Valued Member

lol No problem. Id be interested to know guys what WJJF moves are like Judo ? I did a little Judo at school back in the stone age lol and remember a few moves very like Inside and outside hocks.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

From something I mentioned earlier:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmFGcYyl_vo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmFGcYyl_vo[/ame]

This tournament actually took place in Northern Ireland. To recap, the Black Belt is from the WJJF and borrowed a Judo gi. The smaller guy is 18 years old and had been doing BJJ about 8 months. A few seconds later the small guy taps out the WJJF black belt.

Another guy went to the WJJF club in Ards before. It was his first night, and he was a blue belt in BJJ. Apparently he tapped everyone out in the class, and was asked where he studied (a WJJF black belt who went to the class told me about this).

My friend Chris, former weightlifter (Olympic style) in the 77Kg division, on his first night in the Bangor WJJF club, pinned a black belt. The BB could not get out and attempted to bite Chris. He complained Chris was "just using strength" and ended the sparring session.

A former work colleague from Kilrea (and a WJJF student for at least 18 months) tried to intervene in a drunken man attacking someone. The colleague was punched repeatedly and had his nose damaged (not broken though) and was unable to defend himself.

And most tragic of all, the young man who died here was a WJJF student (as well as a Tae Kwon Do student) in the Omagh club.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...ts-to-onepunch-killing-in-omagh-30636549.html

Doesn't paint a particularly nice picture of WJJF Ireland in my book.

There are literally dozens of videos of people using BJJ in self defence situations. I have not seen any videos of a WJJF student using their training outside of class.

I use to go to a few fitness classes in the WJJF HQ in Brougshane. A member of the local setup said David Toney and the gang made the call to introduce sparring/comps as they were, and I quote "losing too many people to MMA". So it was all about student retention and £££, not making people better fighters. Regardless of the reasoning though, it was a step in the right direction.

5. nigelnire

nigelnire Valued Member

LOL Not going to argue mate there's plenty of people in WJJF who would take a beating on the streets same goes for many in Jiu Jitsu if on their feet on the street trading punches. I also know right hard men in the WJJF who ive no doubt can handle themselves. I've already said some of it is rubbish as there is rubbish in other styles syllabus .
    My own opinion is stay on your feet on the street " if possible" because if more that one goes against you its curtains.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Pretty much all the ones that don't depend on standing armlock, wrist locks etc.

Wjjf has badly copied Judo, barely copied aikido and a very small amount of copied jujutsu in it.

Drop into any Judo or BJJ place and see for yourself.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hard in the WJJF are hard despite it, not because of it

I trained in it for 3 - 4 years at Hull Uni...the clib was great, the people great, the instructor (Graham) actually a solid fighter at kickboxing....the art was pretty much sloppy gendai

8. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

You seem like one of the more level headed WJJF members I encountered :) Although many BJJ SD clips involved standing chokes, not always going to ground...

One positive I will say about the WJJF in Northern Ireland: They have made an effort to open clubs in small places with no martial arts. BJJ in NI is mainly concentrated around Belfast still, which can be frustrating. It is slowly getting better though.

If you are interested in the history of the WJJF or Robert Clark there is a similar thread ongoing at the moment. Although be warned it's not always complimentary about either (though you may already know the origins and the stories): http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124821

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Precisely! Some people are just tough before they set foot in a martial arts class. Certain arts can possibly encourage people to become tough (MMA, for example) but WJJF isn't one of them.

NB I actually should point out I studied with the WJJF myself briefly 11 years ago.

10. nigelnire

nigelnire Valued Member

Yeah probably tough anyway lol Im in no way here trying to defend the WJJF Ireland so take it easy on me folks I don't think its all good by a long shot but its not all total rubbish either and there are good martial artists in it.

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Fair enough. I think the WJJF Ireland are at least trying to make their training better, which is a good sign. Still wouldn't go anywhere near it myself but each to their own

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its all good and I think your assessment is pretty balanced to be honest

My main issus is not that it offers no value but that it has little that is not better covered by other systems...train almost anything long enough and with a bit of gusto and it has application

13. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I have to agree. The striking it gets from Karate would be better learned from Karate, the grappling from Judo would be better learned in Judo... it presents itself as a Japanese system but it is not (clue: There are no WJJF clubs in Japan, that should surely raise a few eyebrows!) so if a person was interested in studying traditional Japanese martial arts, the WJJF would not be the place to go.

It's not without it's good points though (generally well run, not the most expensive art compared to others, good network of clubs etc...)

14. nigelnire

nigelnire Valued Member

The lack of left side attacks disturbs me, i believe you only work on them after black belt. Best to ask someone on the street if they are right or left handed before they swing at you. Also blocking a right cross with both hands do that and your open to get the full force of a left hook.
    Anyone know much about David Toney ? He is idolised by many in WJJF Ireland. You have to train ten times with him before going for your 1st Dan.

15. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I trained with bjj guys who use to be pretty tight with Mr Toney. Weren't complimentary at all about him but that might be sour grapes. He knows how to run a business well. Seriously. He would be a great guy to talk to if you wanted to start a martial arts business.

16. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I also met him once. Seemed friendly enough.

17. nigelnire

nigelnire Valued Member

He presented my belts at National gradings wasn't sure what to make of him.

18. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I don't want to get into any accusations on a public forum. Suffice to say I wouldn't go near WJJF ireland for a number of reasons. That's just me.

19. nigelnire

nigelnire Valued Member

Yes understand that, heres a video of him in action , those who know more than me may know if hes any good,gives an idea of wjjf sylabus.

http://youtu.be/SIx2wN-vicQ

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd give him a run for his money. There is a guy in my club who is a black belt in JJJ and the truth is that I've seen him shadow box these terrible techniques but because they are fast and smooth he thinks they must be good. I.e throwing elbows. When you throw an elbow your other elbow should be vertical and protecting your face from BEING elbowed. Never seen a JJJ do that before because they've never actually used them.