Wing Tsun or Wing Chun?????

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Black Assasin, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Assasin

Black Assasin New Member

I do not know what to chose wing tsun or wing chun?????
    Can some1 help me out with the decision!!!!!! :confused:

2. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

You should try to do a search, theres lots of Wing Tsun vs Wing Chun and many other variations of the same topic.

3. Guohuazhai

Guohuazhai New Member

Wing Tsun is bascially the same as Wing Chun except it is of the LEUNG TING lineage. In Hong Kong the name was changed to distinguish the differences. In essence it is the same.

4. WingTsunFtr

WingTsunFtr New Member

Check out www.wingtsunlinks.com
    On the left side scroll down and find videoclips. There are several dead links/clips.

Leung Ting's version is a soft and springy version of the art. Where abouts is this school?

5. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

It depends, go to both classes and see which one you prefer. WT seems like a great style with lots of reference material etc available. But it does take a lot longer to learn via there grading system than wing chun of the non Leung Ting variety. Emin bostepe (sp?) who was an instructor with WT organisation for around 20 years hadn't learned the weapons of the system apparently. Wing chun on the other hand is such a mixed bag with so many differences in forms etc. I've watched several videos of forms by different instructors and there are differences in movements.
    It all boils down to which you prefer, take a look and choose the class that suits you more.

6. Bjoern_VT

Bjoern_VT Valued Member

that is complete crap.... the whole Leunt Ting system is completely different to Wing Chun in footwork, principles, force genration structure, training methods and interpretation of the moves, techinques and also in fighting tactiques...... but as was stated above, there are loads of different threats discussing this topic here...

7. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Who cares, its all wing chun at the end of the day. I love the wing chun lineage in-fighting. If they got back to training instead of whining they might be half decent.

8. Topher

Topher allo!

Well said!

9. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

At the end of the day we are all under wing chun. but, some ppl like to call it differently.

wing chun = weng chun (a bit different) = ving tsun = wing tsun

essentially, WT refers to LT system.

Well, what I like about LT system (not regarding its grading systems or titles). It is very categorised, everything can be explained to the last detail. Ok...give you an example. In IWCA, we learn techniques and we are told to do whatever it is all up to you if you want to step here or there but no reason given or poorly explained answer. For a novice, this type of advice is very confusing and later on you start to doubt your own ability and your instructor. In LT, they tell you your foot have to be here and your hands have to be here etc...it is spoon feeding but it makes sense for a beginner.

So, sometimes I wonder if it is better to think for yourselves or have someone spoon feed the information for training?

What do you think?

10. Bjoern_VT

Bjoern_VT Valued Member

all the former LT Students do esentially the same as LT and KRK.....

but Weng Chun is something completely different....

Ving Tsun,, Wing Chun and so on are not "registered trademarks" so you WIL find some of these names on former LT students and even non yip Man lInes...
    but if you compare the Wong Shun Leung Lineage Ving Tsun, or the Line BC comes from with Leung Ting you have an essentially different martial art... I won't discuss HOW that happened.... ther ewill be enough of these dicussions here anyway...

in genreal people refer to Wing Chun or Ving Tsun as the traditionally yip man ving tsun lines, ther are others thoguh, some older lines who use the sme names I heard, but I forgot the names....

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

don't forget there is also Ving Tsun here in Hong Kong. :D

and while there at it they might as well start quibbling over the grammar used.

You forgot t3H d3ad133 lineage...

Nust Gniw

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  12. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

Bjoern is correct in what he is saying, there is a more definite and glaring difference between Wing Tsun and every other form of Wing Chun including Ving Tsun

13. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

this is not making sense...anyway enough talk more training.

older lineage..pan nam there is one in adelaide.

or maybe wing chun came from yongchunbeiha as featured in martin watt's thread.

14. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Would you believe... Yong Chun?
    Seriously pick whatever school you'll have more fun attending.

15. Bjoern_VT

Bjoern_VT Valued Member

oh it IS making sense....
    As I said, the older lines like Pan Nam I do not know personally, but they are suposed to be different too, some have deeper stances, high kicks and more forms than the Yip Man lines...

bc and I referred to the yip man system of course....

To look for something reasonable, check it out for sometime and see what you like best....

16. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

Ok, i was confused with the wording of bc's reply.

Well here goes, in terms of difference.

BC777 line is very similar to TST line --> Jim Fung (with the obvious no footwork syllabus- well yes and no).
    I feel LT WT is in its own style.
    and WSL VT is the tense and very centerline version of TST.

Whose right or wrong???

Enjoy the one you like I think is best.

17. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

I'm pretty sure they are just different dialects, like one's mandarin and the other is cantonese...

18. ImperialDragon

ImperialDragon Banned Banned

First, do which ever is easiest for you to get to. Then, when you've tried both clubs, go to the one which seems the most reality driven in terms of martial arts. When you've been doing that for a while try the other one, with an open mind, and see which one you prefer. Or do both, or one, or the other.

19. AikenD

AikenD New Member

Wing Chun is proper

The differance is huge - and WT schools are a cheat - the training is dragged out too long, the basics are not properly taught, and the wooden dummy was not introduced until very late on. Rubbish.

I have done both, or 3 systems actually - Lo Man Kam, Wong Shun Leung and Leung Ting (WT)

I was doing WT back in 1995 and there were aspects of the school training I enjoyed at the time, but later on found to be a hindrance.

From all 3 schools I found the Lo Man Kam to teach the better basics and hold more to the traditional teaching methods - Jam Sau spring and wooden dummy on first training day.

Also, Lo Man Kam schools teach exercises which mirror what Sun Tzu would mean with "The good fighters of old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an opportunity of defeating the enemyā€¯ - I never learned or saw these exercises in the WT or Wong Shun schools that I visited.
    Things like Wing Chun arm and leg locks are also taught in Lo Man Kam schools.

I am not saying that the other two systems are without merit and that they do not teach the safety aspects, but I was never instructed in the logic and principles in the other schools in the begining, where it is needed most.

Example :
    WT taught me : If the way is free, go forward
    LMK taught me : If you feel that both of your opponents arms are under control, then go forward
    The first section of the SLT contains at least 2 arm locks and many safety positions - but in Wt for the first 10 lessons I learned a Pak Sau punch exercise - so where is the logic in that ?

Please understand that I speak from 10 years ago when I speak about WT and things may have changed since then of that I am fully aware.

Kind regards

AikenD

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.