wing chung and boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by pseudo, Mar 25, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

[​IMG]

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

My understanding of the center line theory is both you and your opponent can draw a line from the center of the chest. These 2 lines may have an intersection or may not. If these 2 lines have intersection, you try to move to that intersection point so your opponent's center is all open for your attack.

If you move toward your opponent's side door, since your center line and your opponent's center line will never intersect, none of you can take advantage on the center line attack advantage.

IMO, the center line theory is just "front door" attacking that you move in between your opponent's arms. In wrestling, all the body contact throw such as hip throw, leg lift, leg block, leg twist, ... are all center line attack.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  3. puma

puma Valued Member

How come not one Martial Art video on here has been any good? I can't see what any of them have to do with boxing. Why do people make such rubbish video's? If Wing Chun was helpful to boxing, I'm sure Mayweather, Pacquiao, the Klitscko's, Andre Ward, etc, would all be studying it. As far as I know they are not, so...

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Did you watch Singh's out of interest?

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Did you notice in your picture that the thrower has his center line facing the opponent but the opponent has his center line not facing the thrower.

I will admit that most throws are front door attacks but your best single leg shots for takedowns are at angles so he can't sprawl. Double legs are usually clear the path and crash the center.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

and yet again, another excuse... what about when he got older and he became a quitter and got beat up by nobodies?

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

IMO, it's better to have your own center line not facing your opponent, but to have your opponent's center line to face to you. It's better to have your shoulder to be in your opponent's center line path. This way, your own center line is perpendicular to your opponent's center line.

The best single leg attacking angle is not from your opponent's center but from the angle when your back foot and both of your opponent's feet are in a perfect straight line. In other words, the best "single leg" attacking angle is 90 degree (perpendicular) from your opponent's center line. This way no matter where your opponent may move his leading leg, his leading leg will always be in your attacking range. When you attack through this angle, your single leg attack will force your opponent to "cross his legs". This will help you to take him down.

8. Hannibal

How about you stop making arguments that nobody is stating and deal with the fact your initial assertion was completely wrong?

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I think you do a form of chinese grappling, if so, does your style actually do wrestling shots and do you use sprawling as a form of defense against them?

I think we are discussing different rulesets here.

Here's a good example. You need to fast forward to about 1:30 to get to the instructional. See how he steps off center to set up the takedown but still has his shoulders square to his opponent.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNqFB2sIq4&safe=active"]Barry Davis Wrestling Single-Leg Takedowns - YouTube[/ame]

Edit, I just reread your post and you are right about the foot alignment, shame is that isn't ever going to happen against someone who knows how to wrestle freestyle/folkstyle. Don't think it's going to happen in catch either.

10. Hannibal

Significantly Billy Robinson taught collar and elbow using identical centerline principles ...he just didn't call it that

11. Saved_in_Blood

We are talking about Tyson now... and I'm right and you're wrong. You've just come up with all of the excuses that his typical fans do when they try to build him up to something he never was.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This Chinese wrestling "single leg" is different from the western wrestling "single leg". In Chinese wrestling, there are more than 20 different ways to apply "single leg". The most simple way is to use just one hand to get your opponent's leg. You will use your other hand to push his upper body instead.

The sprawling is one way to deal with the single leg. It's not the only way. To pull your leading leg back and to press your opponent's head down to the ground is another way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is why the "set up" will be needed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJsvJQocDE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJsvJQocDE[/ame]

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Not a lot to argue with there, fan boy or not.

14. Hannibal

No YOU are arguing a point no one bloody made!!!

I am not even a Tyson fan

Alright because you are havng difficulty grasping abstract concepts like separating the individual from the style, I will break it down

1) You stated Tyson lost to Douglas because he was beaten stylistically
    2) I countered that style has nothing to do with it and Tyson's slack ass attitude to training and embracing attitude to Peruvian Marching powder did
    3) You said this was an excuse
    4) I said it is, but that it does not alter the fact that Tyson lost not on a "Style A vs Style B" basis but on a lifestyle basis (and by the by, someone else pointed out the same hole in your leaky logic)
    5) You have a brain fart and accuse me of making excuses for him as a fanboy
    6) I make this post to try and explain the difference between being a fan of Tyson (i'm not) and correcting an utterly wrong point you made

If this doesn't work I can do line drawings

15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

YouKnowWho, when I'm talking about a shot for a single leg it looks more like this.

[​IMG]

Similar move, different styles. Hips low and explosive entry. The wrestler doing the takedown is off center from his opponent and his shoulders are square with the leg. At no point does he reach out with his arms to grab the leg like in your example.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Simon, there's been a TON of champions in divisions, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. The point is when he stepped up to top tier competition that he lost and that proved he was a good fighter, but never a great one or what many have made him out to be.

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I wonder which fighters you like. You always seem so critical of them. Are there any fighters you appreciate that aren't hall of famers?

18. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Early Tyson was very, very good, possibly great. He was a swarmer with good head movement, excellent foot work, good defense and a left hook to die for.

Later Tyson was simply a brawler, he lost his manager and trainer and his boxing skills. He could still punch as hard but the footwork, defense and movement were gone. Had Cus not died he may have gone down in history as a great champion.

19. Saved_in_Blood

Glad I could help you understand better... you're welcome.

20. Hannibal

I assume this is some Swiftian level retort....it failed