wing chung and boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by pseudo, Mar 25, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Tyson was a 'Chunner, huh?

Makes sense, judging by his shoulders he must've been an arm-puncher :p

2. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Lol....yeah Tyson the Chunner...

Seriously, the joke was Mike Typson is a squared-up swarmer who basically does all the things Chun claims to be able to do, but for real.

His style of fighting basically negates almost everything I've ever heard Chunners say about their supposed mastery and domination of centerline fighting.

Can you imagine any Chunner on planet earth trying to out-centerline Tyson?

I even found a picture of Tyson in the kim yeurng ma. He made it work on Nintendo 8-bit PunchOut!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Now that we've touched on pro boxers and wing chun, can I nominate Manny Pacquiao for discussion?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAdeWxeqGa8"]Manny Pacquiao - Thunder and Lightening on the Heavy Bag - YouTube[/ame]

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Didn't help that Tyson's training regime consisted of getting ballooned off his **** on a regular basis and not actually doing any work....and he still nearly KO'd Douglas!

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

It's always about distance management. Getting in a range where your weapons are effective while the other guy's aren't. Like Van Zandt said, I think the vid makes a bad mistake by thinking getting inside is a good idea against a boxer. Not only is the boxer used to strikes coming at him (though admittedly not WC-type strikes) but he's got plenty of weapons to punish the insider and his strikes are far more devastating.

6. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Was just about to say this but you beat me too it.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

He was a professional, and should have conducted himself as such. Even if there was controversy about the fight with Douglass and even if he would have beaten him, he still would have been exposed by the top tier fighters later. The record books state however that Tyson lost by KO. His lack of training was his own fault and he should have taken the guy more seriously... so who's fault is that?

8. Saved_in_Blood

The part where he came straight in and wound up on his face?

9. Saved_in_Blood

Let's think about other fighters who were straight line fighters though if we want to compare centerline. Hannibal and I can both attest to Hatton, who came straight ahead, BUT his feet were fast and he could cut the ring off very well. Cotto doesn't have fast feet, but he uses intelligent pressure and cuts the ring off well, but many times does come straight ahead. Tyson did have fast feet as well and wasn't a ring genius, but he could cut the ring off very well too. It's my opinion from watching a whole lot of boxing as well as getting beaten up by my instructor each lesson that using a centerline is fine, but you must be prepared to use angles, pivots, and lateral movement at least some or you will be quickly KO'd by anyone who knows what they are doing. I think much of the time that centerline thing is crap.

10. Hannibal

That is not the point you were making - you made an argument about it being inherently technical issues (or "style making a fight"). The fact remains that that had far less to do with it than Tyson's own demons - like Douglas himself with Holyfield when he literally ate himself out of contention

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  11. Hannibal

Centerline is a concept - it is more about being positioned for function at all times and DOES inlcude angling off and positioning. Saying "it is crap" is not accurate anymore than saying "keep you hands up" is crap....dogmatic adherence to it IS crap

Finding someone who can actually apply this under any level of pressure is rare though; I have found a couple on my adventures and I can do it myself....but the caveat is I also know when to change strategy and not cling to it when it isn't working

12. Saved_in_Blood

All of these are excuses. Douglass turning into mostly lard what who's fault? Tyson not training properly was who's fault? I get tired of people making excuses for Tyson, the fact is that he made history by being the youngest HW champ, but when it came to more elite fighters, he couldn't cut it.

13. Saved_in_Blood

Which is why I said "much of the time it's crap". We're in the boxing forum and when you have a straight ahead fighter vs. a pure boxer... which one is typically the one who comes out on top? The guy who can stay at a distance and pick his target apart.

14. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

No one is making excuses for him, they're saying that the dominant factor was his lifestyle rather than his fighting style.

15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Centerline is used in wrestling as well. I want my shoulders squared to my opponent and prefer his shoulders to be at an angle to me. This is what stance and movement, and hand fighting are all about. Unless I'm going for a throw of course.

16. Hannibal

Note that "centreline" does not mean "stand in front of" - it is about maintaining MY structure at the expense of theirs. This is MMA, but it is my Sifu showing the principles applied in a more "alive" manner

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCC9WOmYPY4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCC9WOmYPY4[/ame]

17. Hannibal

Who is making excuses? He lost because he is a child in a mans body and has no self control....which is absolutely NOT the point you made

18. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I don't think you understand what they mean when they talk about the 'centerline'.

Open thy mind bro.

19. Saved_in_Blood

Obviously you have to be properly lined up to land your punches and/or kicks. What I am speaking of is coming straight ahead with just straight punches... that's what I've seen from a lot of WC videos that I've watched... perhaps this isn't the proper technique and I am getting it confused?

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

That's not the centerline, that's just flailing. It works pretty much as I described it for wrestling. The idea it to use angles so that you can punch straight in but they are at the wrong angle to defend of hit back. In wrestling it's called turning the corner. For example I clear his right arm, step to his right keeping my center aimed at him and then shoot. I have a clear well set up shot and he is in a poor position to defend.

True though in WC vids you almost never see the angling.