wing chung and boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by pseudo, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

You can parry a cross, but it's a question of if your timing is good enough and whether you pivot with the parry or if you simply just try to knock it out of the way. A punch is hard to stop straight ahead, but takes little energy to simply deflect, no matter how much power may be behind it. I also block punches with my face in kickboxing... I even blocked a foot with my face the last class.

2. puma

puma Valued Member

Why do people put videos like that first one on youtube? If those people are teaching and taking money off people they should stop now! They punch like pansies! The video should have been called, "How to get yourself killed by a boxer with Wing Chun!"

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to think about this for a good minute and recall the sparring I used to do. Unless a cross is thrown half hearted, it's more of a "catch" than a parry. You can't really parry a strong punch, and if it's thrown accurate you can't really deflect it either (not with your hand, anyways). It's kind of the same thing with uppercuts. You move your hand to "catch" it, but the force of you bringing your hand to intercept and the force of the punch will usually result in a cancelation of momentum on both ends. You won't be parrying a power punch like you can a jab.

Your thinking here is in line with my description above, your use of terminology is just a little off.

Something you might want to consider practicing is learning how to parry and catch punches. It takes a lot of hand-eye coordination to do. The best way to work on it is to just focus on a sparring session where only straight punches are thrown. I used to do this all the time where I would only work on parrying, catching, and blocking with my forearms. It really assists in your defense abilities and keeps you from getting popped, and people have to work to hit you (set things up). It takes a while to learn.

Since you only go once a week, you probably don't have time to do such specific training. You could easily get decent practice at home by throwing a tennis ball at the wall so it bounces right back at your face (just to work on hand eye coordination). If you have a buddy or can drag your wife into it, you can just have them throw straight punches at your face and work on blocking/catching too. I used to do this training with people who were just starting a lot. Any practice is beneficial.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Ero, your profile pic means "crispy" .

5. Ero-Sennin

Not from what I looked up from multiple sources. :p

6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Crispy??

Not "defeat" or "fail"?

7. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Then that's how you write Chesty Puller in Japanese. :)

If not, shame on you.

8. Ero-Sennin

/me hands gapjumper 10 MAP Arcade tokens. Use them wisely, good sir. :p

Shame, shame on me and my whole family! :p

9. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Defeat?!?!

Don't you mean to attack backwards? What sort of jarhead are you?

Me now, I wasn't a very good one but I was just an aviation supply puke. Sitting in a chair and eating pogie bait. REMFs rule!

10. Ero-Sennin

Self deprecation has always been my method of getting past things :p. I've been injured so long without really getting better in the way I want to, and had the "PMA" (positive mental attitude) crammed down my throat so long that I'm tired of it. I'm done with it. I'm screwed up, and I acknowledge that I am worthless at the moment, and will act accordingly dammit.

I keep chastising myself every time I get up and do rehabilitative stuff for my neck and back. I say, "I thought you were admitting defeat and giving up and that you're a failure? Why are you getting up trying to get better asshat?" Nothing like failing at having a defeated attitude. :p

11. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Thankfully as long as Izzo is making videos like this, he isn't out doing this.

Izzo is saving lives every second he's indoors making a Wing Chun vs. video. He's made about a hundred of them this year..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMd3K8qByu8"]WING CHUN - MY OPINIONS - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  12. Saved_in_Blood

Good points, thank you. The thing is I can see the openings plain as day, but the being fast enough to do it is something else. I know a lead right can be throw over the jab, I know the straight right can be countered with just a slight foot movement and a left hook or ... well really take your pick of punches. Problem is that I throw something, and once I throw the punch out, I already have gotten kicked in the leg or ribs lol. I will get it though. Lesson got pushed back to today at 5 instead of yesterday and all I do is think all week about how I can hit the guy lol.

13. Wooden Hare

You pick almost any martial art, technique, flavor of coffee or tea you can think of....

Izzo has a Chun vs. video for it at http://www.youtube.com/user/izzotacticalcombat

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o0r1BOGanI"]HOW TO STOP THE HOOK PUNCH WITH WING CHUN - YouTube[/ame]

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Doesn't seem as bad as Freddie Lee, at least. Freddie is a few sandwiches short of a full picnic.

15. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

Boxing drills work really well with Wing Chun drills, if both are practiced. As for Boxing vs. Wing Chun, the better fighter will win regardless of one's style. But more importantly, Boxing & Wing Chun vs. Wing Chun is always better than just Boxing vs. Wing Chun, and that of course works the other way around as well. Also, in a Wing Chun vs. Wing Chun scenerio, the better fighter will always win - But if one of the Wing Chun fighters were to also practice Boxing, his odds of victory will increase.

16. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I did a quick scan of the channel and didn't see a 'Wing Chun v. Capoeira' video listed even though I recall seeing one of his videos posted here on MAP some time ago wherein he spoke of wanting to do such a thing. I guess what I'm saying is that he still has more videos to make. Make of that what you will.;)

17. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Coming soon:

Wing Chun vs Rocky

Wing Chun vs Godzilla

18. Saved_in_Blood

19. Wooden Hare

Check this one out: about how "relaxation in fighting is BS" (according to Izzo's expertise as a "4AM bouncer and 8 year patrolman").

I understand why Izzo doesn't understand relaxation in fighting: he can't ever relax, period, even when he's not fighting.

Izzo has, since this video was recorded, finally witnessed a good model for relaxation. He met Singh. I hope he learned something.

20. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Can we move this over the Wing Chun forum or whatever?

The boxing forum is usually a straight-up place mostly devoid of posting questionable vids of self-appointed gurus of dodgy styles for the sole purpose of taking the micky out of 'em.

Lets keep at least one part of MAP pure. :)