Wing Chun video ideas?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I'm not a kung fu'er, but here are a couple of ideas:

- Maybe the basics of butterfly-saber use, and if space allows, some target-cutting or the equivalent as done in that art's paradigms?

- You mentioned "JKD" in one of your other posts, which seems to be indicative that you also have background in Jeet Kune Do. Perhaps something displaying the contrasts in the two arts' tactics in your experiences? (I'm pretty sure the commonalities would be obvious enough, considering Jeet Kune Do's origins.)

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I might be able to do a few videos on the relation of certain hand and weapon techniques. Not enough space for test cutting and I'd rather not delve into the complexities of the Baat Jaam Do on video but maybe more of a "this is technique x, this is where it transfers to weapons."

I've dabbled... I don't want to get into the whole "Bruce's JKD vs JKD as a concept" thing but it's definitely do-able.

3. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

Hey Ben,
    Good to see you're trying to do good in the world. So many chunners sit on their backsides or become keyboard warriors, rather than answering the critics by use of media.
    Sadly, wing chun never looks brilliant on film, because its a messy, quickfiring art and not meant to go the rounds. Whereas boxers etc look great going a couple of rounds with shots that probe rather than finish.
    An idea for your video crusade that hasnt been suggested yet, is to visit various wing chun schools and get their take on various aspects of the art. ie you can chi sao with them, go through differences in forms with them etc.

4. ned

ned Valued Member

Have you ever boxed ?
    Doubt you'll have much joy convincing anybody of that :p

(not dissing WC,I'm a chunner meself ! )

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Not to take this thread off topic but do you actually think that boxers don't want to finish their fights as soon a possible?

6. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

I would like to eventually see full contact sparring, where grappling is allowed, against a trained grappler. Mostly due to the fact that I have seen alot of demos about self defence and fighting MMA guys, where they show you multiple "anti-grappling" techniques. I have trouble seeing how they would work. So seeing how they do against someone that can grapple would be very interesting to me.

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I would like to see Win chung v's Shark. Although as more people are killed by bee stings than sharks every year i would also like to see techniques for win chung v's Bee. Bee, or falling coconuts. They are worse than sharks too.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think the problem is boxing have the audacity to actually look like how they train when they actually fight, than can really put of the wing chun guys :cool:

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Frivolity aside. Win chung throws and counters to throws / take downs would be interesting.

10. SWC Sifu Ben

That's an interesting idea... Kind of a Wing Chun Quest :D There's certainly enough in Toronto to start that with :p

Wing Chun's "anti-grappling" is 95% garbage and 4% dirt. There are a few techniques of merit I can show but for grappling defense people are far better off, surprise surprise, actually grappling.

Most chunners need a serious tan gerk to the backside when it comes to resistive training and simplicity of training :bang: That's one of the reasons I want to start this video series. But you did just give me an idea...:D

That's doable. Might have to wait until I can film outside though.

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

here's another one expanding on my previous post: the principles of WC basic stances and footwork, and how they factor into moving naturally rather than standing and stepping in said basic stances like when training a form.

12. SWC Sifu Ben

That's a great idea! I don't think I've ever actually seen the context discussed, nor how to combine the various bits of footwork to how you actually use it.

This is why I like this place. Such friendly people and such nice Fish :D

13. WC Warrior

WC Warrior New Member

I would really like to see this. As a newish (have been training fo 1 year almost to the day right now) chunner I am really strugling with foot work as it all feels so stiff and unnatural vs the relaxes feeling I am comming to find with manyh of my hand techniques.

Moving in a way that feels natural and easy to incorperate along with the rest of the techniques i have been shown so far is somthing I and many other chunners I have talked to struggle with.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

How about A punches at B 20 times with full power and full speed while B tries to dodge/block it?

If A

- can hit B in those 20 punches, A wins that round.
    - can't hit B in those 20 punches, B wins that round.

It may not look as good as if B can also punch back, but at least you can show how WC offense/defense suppose to look like in a full contact environment.

In A's 20 punches, or B's 20 dodges/blocks, the WC "basic stances and footwork" can be seen too.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

It would be really great to see this. in the brief times ive met WC guys, they often say that stances are transitional yet i've rarely seen any training that isnt transitional (i've see classes doing a lot of chi sao stuff and not much else).

it would be illuminating to see how the footwork and stances form into natural movement.

16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

How progresses the plan for the videos? I eagerly await anything that you are kind enough to share. The power generation thread has some unusually helpful contributions on it. If you could add some video on power generation that would be great.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

Well I should have some time next week and hopefully the weather is nice enough to film outdoors.

I appreciate your keeping me on track :D

18. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

So you never got around to do those videos eh?
    Can you suggest any videos that in your opinion are representing your art properly?

19. SWC Sifu Ben

Unfortunately no. Even my own sigung's stuff is 'sabotaged' because it was made for public viewing.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Why is this, ive probably asked you before but what’s the point of purposely putting out rubbish, I can understand hiding your stuff if your life depends on your skills and having an edge on your opponents, but these days no one gets kwoon challenged, or attacked by professional bandits and im not sure muggers bother researching their potential victims on youtube before attacking them?

I know sifus change forms subtly for public demos so those in the know will know if a person learned them properly or off videos BUT that is different from sabotaging and purposely putting bad technique out there?
    Its not like someone can view a clip and imitate it and then boom they have the same skills as you, (I wish that was the case then id be rolling like Rickson but im not)

Does your sifu also subscribe to this practice as well?