Wing Chun striking vs Muay Thai striking for street fights

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Could you expand on this a bit? I can't quite follow your argument.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As opposed to what?

You are about to trot out the utter bollocks that is "street vs sport" again aren't you?

3. Tman

Tman Valued Member

Go and read some Geoff Thompson and then decided for your self if its rubbish. And you could watch your language by the way.

4. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

You know your talking to a guy whose probably had more "Br0tal sTR33T fightz" than most people have had hot dinners? Right?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  5. Tman

Tman Valued Member

I see what you mean! I came on this forum hoping to have a constructive discussion about martial arts, instead I encounter people who think their style is the best, and if you disagree you're talking b***cks. I've said a few times now that I fully respect MT. Im not going to say that its the best and other styles are 'crap' because that would be dis respectful. So, I will bow out of this forum and wish you all the best with your training.

6. Tman

Tman Valued Member

I just ended a conversation with someone who had no respect and therefore lacked confidence.

7. Hannibal

You have no idea what you are talking about do you?

I was an instructor under Geoff and Pete in the BCA in the 90's and I have forgotten more about streetfighting than you know - not bragging, just an unfortunate fact

I don't need advice from you on my language, especially when the argument you are putting forward is utter bollocks

8. Hannibal

Lacks confidence? Please...

You posted something wrong and were called on it - deal with it and move on or maintain your hissy fit ragequit...either way I will sleep just fine tonight

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Just put on a Tapout shirt so you can retain some shred of dignity in the eyes of the person you just criticized.

#Giacomo

10. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

dont agree with this. pretty much 90 percent of the fights I have seen that dont end in the fist punch, go way past this. so even i with my limited experience know this not the truth, fights dont follow patterns, if they did we could avoid them entirely or never get hurt. Some fights go to 300 strikes. Some dont even have one and go straight to the ground. And everthing in between.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

So we're clear, we're not calling you out for your nonsense because we disagree, we're calling you out for talking complete and utter rubbish.

What you have encountered is a load of people with decades of martial arts experience, who have forgotten more than you will ever know (I'm referring to Hannibal here, not myself, although...), but instead of saying 'wow, here's an opportunity to learn some stuff' you've gone straight to 'Waah! My preconceived notions of self defence and martial arts training have been completely torn apart my people smarter and more experienced than me. Waah!'

I'm not so sure why your so worried about ground strikes since it sounds like you're still waiting for yours to drop.

12. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

haha i know how you feel, its a scary thing to have the people of this forum turn against you

just know that eventually you'll realize they were right and you were wrong, or not and you'll remain ignorant forever

also know that they're helping you, i think people refer to this as ""tough love"

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Tough love is the only love we know.

14. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

That's not totally true... I love myself ... A LOT!

15. Saved_in_Blood

I would say that I was a good puncher... but a lot of people think they are and aren't, so that would be up to someone who has experience to judge. I don't want to brag about something I'm not sure about.

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Your sparring partners will tell you. "I didn't even see it coming" means you're fast, "Holy crap you hit hard" means you hit hard, "I can't seem to find you with my punches" means you move well, "I didn't know what to do to react" means your flurries are great, etc..

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I have a unique way of telling my opponents that. It's called a KO. Its non verbal communication at it's finest.

How it works is that when i get hit hard and fast enough, i crumple to the floor and appear to be dead for a few seconds, only to be revived without any recollection of the matter.

18. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

No one said it did.Only serious training in a variety SD scenarios can prepare one as well as one can be prepared for the real world.

The point most make is that the level of intensity in training and the actual execution of technique against fully resisting opponents as required by "ring" sports leads to very applicable skills in a real world scenario.Plenty of evidence both documented,filmed,and dare one say,personal anecdotes/experience confirm this.

But if you leave now you'll never know how the death matches between all of us here who wish to prove our individual "art" the best turn out!

19. Saved_in_Blood

I thought this thread was starting to get interesting actually lol. I know little about Wing Chun... what I do know is that much of it is based on the straight line philosophy. While I agree that punches that are straight are obviously going to get there faster, but is the footwork also in a straight line? Always thought it seemed like an interesting art. I'd try it if there was a good instructor... or anyone at all around here who did it.

20. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

No details, please - I just had dinner. :eek: