Wing Chun striking vs Muay Thai striking for street fights

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Generally the MT fighter will be faster, hit harder and be physically more accustomed to working their art under extreme pressure

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

good enough answer for me... makes sense.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'd pick the KM guy every time. Mainly because 99% of KM is crap.

4. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Id fight the krav guy for two reasons

1: They say the only effective users of it are a branch of the israeli military, and I never meet those guys

2: most krav is sub par SD fantasy sold under hte krav maga logo.

5. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

just wear a jockstrap vs the krav maga guy

easy win

6. Saved_in_Blood

hmmm... interesting lol

7. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

well, considering their determination to destroy your crotch area, perhaps one should stuff a pillow down there just to be sure...

...and kevlar

8. Saved_in_Blood

We don't even do that in CHKD, actually I don't recall any groin strikes at all in it tbh. A lot of of knee strikes, elbows, etc.

9. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I saw a krav maga demo somewhere on youtube, that video might have been the inspiration for the "restomp the groin" phrase.

this isnt the video i saw back then, but still groinalicious

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfF4TrR8NEg"]Krav Maga Monaco Demo Claude Pouget - YouTube[/ame]

10. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Hypothetical bro, why would I be talking specifically about you? This is a discussion to me, nothing more.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I did one trial session of Krav and can confirm it is indeed groin-slap-tastic.
    They habitually wear a groin guard so the groin is always a viable target without undue risk of injury and pain.
    An approach I'm not inclined to disagree with to be honest.

12. robin101

so yea, think i saw...1...move in that whole thing that might actually work, the face mash tip over followed by the palm strike. the rest looks really unrealistic to me. pure fantasy.

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Do you mean during practice or just all the time?

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hehe...I *think* it was just for training. Not sure though mind.

15. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

To be honest with you I'm clueless about SD arts and all SD moves look unrealistic to me. Granted, I've never made any effort to look for good SD demos.

I just find the repeated groin attacks hilarious.

16. robin101

wanna see a good SD demo. Have a look at DART stuff run by JWT. There may be people fullfilling roles of attacker and defender, but both parties are out to hurt each other and win, so there is no complience. So they end up looking like real altercations, and not like steven seagal movies

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

There is a reason I never made an effort. JWT and other mappers seem really knowledgeable about SD though, I like how they place importance in de-escalation and just avoiding the whole thing altogether.

Other than that, I'm more interested in the sport side of martial arts.

Perhaps I'll glance a look at the videos though, sounds interesting.

18. Saved_in_Blood

My brother in law lets me sort of beat up on him if you will in the sense that he does the wrist grabs and such with me to help me work on all of my moves for CHKD. He's 6'3 and 240 lbs... does sheetmetal work for the union and so he's in good shape as far as your average guy who does a physical job and such. Point being is that while yes, I can bring him to his knees with numerous locks it WOULD NOT work unless the target is "softened" or a distraction is applied. In CHKD the distraction can consist of multiple things, but typically you are stepping toward and then to the side of the opponent. On the forward step a snap kick to the knee is used often times, but a palm strike or anything that would break their concentration for that split second is the idea. Ideally, assuming you have tried everything to stay out of the fight and have no choice and have an attacking opponent the snap kicks are practiced and if it distracts them, that's great, if it caves the knee completely... even better. My instructors always preach to me the question "what will you do if X or Y doesn't work"? and then follow-up moves or using something completely different are worked on. This is why we use a lot of elbows, knees, kicks (only low kicks), and punches along with the joint locks.

However, saying all of that... at 170ish lbs I might be able to sting him (my brother in law) if I had to, but he's been hit by guys bigger than I and it didn't affect him enough where they were the ones running away. Just a big naturally strong type of guy.

Now I put myself in the same situation with a different art like boxing (since I'm just ok with it)... could I hit him a bunch of times before I got hit? Yeah I think I likely could... but a guy who has over 50 lbs on me it isn't going to affect him as much as a guy my own weight, or height for that matter since I'm 5'8.5 (thanks to decaying discs in my back I've shrunk lol) and he's 6'3 I'm also punching upward which takes a lot of snap off of the punch. So, aside from my best move stated above that was "run" what would I do? I guess at that point you have to be like a rabid dog, grab, scratch, punch, go for eyes, repeated strikes to the knees, even bite.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you can punch your weight at 170lbs you would KO him

20. Tman

Tman Valued Member

You've got about 3 strikes until the fight gos to the ground. And you're going to find the time to check kick and step backwards. This is what I mean about ring fighting not fully preparing you for the street.