Wing Chun punches

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Gambit85, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Gambit85

Gambit85 New Member

Hey everybody, i am new to this message board so i wanted to say hello. I am trying to teach myself Wing Chun kung fu by reading and by practicing and sparring with a friend who knows some. Anyways i noticed that in Wing Chun some punches i saw were said to be struck with the bottom 3 knuckles. However i always learned from boxing and such to use the top 2 knuckles to avoid injury to the hand and in fact last year broke my wrist when i missed a punch and hit only with my bottom knuckle to a guys shoulder. Anyways if you all could help me understand this i want to say thanks in advance and hope to participate more on this board in the future.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi and welcome to MAP.

Where did you learn Boxing that taught you to always punch with the top 2 knuckles?

You need qualified instruction - learning from book swill give you something that "resembles" Wing Chun - that's about it - even if your friend "knows some".

3. Gambit85

Gambit85 New Member

I learned the top two knuckles thing from a personal trainer i used to lift weights with, but i'll trust what you say on punches as you sound like you definately know what you are talking about. Also from reading on these boards i realize that i really do need to get an instructor that i can learn from, preferably one on one if possible. But since i'll be leaving for college in the fall i was hoping to get one then in Madison, and simply teach myself some basics and work on balance and flexibility over summer.

So actually if you know any good stretching techniques or practices for improving balance i would greatly appreciate any advice or tips you can give.

4. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Just stand on one foot when putting on shoes, or clothing, that should get your balance better.
    As for stretching, just do it every morning after you get out of bed, and then before at night. And maybe whenever you have free time during the day.

Before I started I could not get my hands past about two inches past my knees. Two weeks late, and I could get past my toes :D.

There are a few others too, but these should get started

Take about 20 seconds to ease into each stretch, if you go too fast and you may not get any benefit, and you could damage something. Hold the stretch for about 40 seconds.

And don't go as far as to feel allot of pain. Ease back a back a bit if you do. Pain is bad. It will do more damage then good. Take your time to get into the stretch, and don't go to far.

Sit on the floor, with your legs out stretch in front of you. Slowly try get your chin to touch your knees/shins, by leaning you upper body forward. Keep the legs straight.

Sit on the floor, and bend your knees so you get the heels of your feet at close as you can to your groin. Slowly lean forward, grab you feet (optional), and press down on your legs/knees with your elbows.

Out stretch one leg, keeping the other foot where it is (up to the groin). Slowly Try get your chin to touch your knee/shin by leaning forward. Switch legs and do the same.

Also basic stretches, like calf and thigh.

Stand up, press your hands against a wall, out on leg back, and one forward. Bend your forward leg, and straighten the back one... trying to get you heal to touch the ground.... DONT Go To Far. Switch legs.

Stand on one leg, and pull the other one up behind your with your hand to foot. Switch.

Another one is to stand up with your feet together, and bend down, trying to reach you ankles/toes, or floor…. slowly. Keep your legs straight.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  5. Gambit85

Gambit85 New Member

Thanks for the tips Ving Tsun