Wing Chun Forum

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Gnosis, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Gnosis

Gnosis New Member

Would it not be a great idea if Wing Chun got its own Forum? Right now questions about Wing Chun is either in Kung Fu or JKD.

;)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It is a Kung Fu style though and seems to be well covered in this forum - if it was getting lost in the shuffle perhaps, but it's not

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Why do you want to isolate WC from other MA discussion? You want to use WC to fight people from other MA systems. You don't want a WC guy just to fight another WC guy.

The problem to have a WC forum is, quite often people will make the following statements.

- This is not WC.
    - We WC guys don't do this.
    - This is against our WC principles.
    - Your WC is not pure.
    - Why do you keep comparing WC to the other MA systems?
    - You are not even a true WC guy. Nobody care about your opinion. Why are you still hanging around here?

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It would have to be a protected land like the ninjutsu forum where people could spout nonsense without the need to back up their assertions....nuts to that. Wing Chun folks need more exposure to the blinding light of the real world, not less.

5. Gnosis

Gnosis New Member

For the very same reason that Aikido, Boxing, BJJ ect. has their very own. Because WC has a large following across the world, it´s not a small, unknown obscure system.

Right now, Wing Chun questions are scattered all over the JKD or Kung Fu section. I personally don´t like having to go through many different and unrelated threads to find WC.

I do admit that the WC world has politics and immature people, but I was a member of this forum some years ago under a different name and i think Admin did a good job enforcing the forum rules.

6. Gnosis

Gnosis New Member

Wing Chun has a lot of principles not covered in other systems. There should be a healthy debate about what these principles are and how to apply them. Different schools do not have the same understandig nor knowledge of these principles.

BTW I just made such a comment myself about Pak Sao in the JKD section. Let me know if you disagree? And Why?

:eek:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I don't think so. Shouldn't be treated anymore differently than the other KF styles, simply due to size.
    And there's no call for it on this site (yet)

These are their own specific styles. MAP is a fluid site and we constantly merge forums or delete or even create forums. Although we do have millions (and millions) of MAPpers globally and easily have plenty of WC practioners about. There are equal amount of people in other styles.
    If we have to comply to each and every request of a new forum, it'll bog everything down and a lot of moderators would need hiring (volunteering).

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

MAP is going to at some stage undergo a trimming down of the forums and some will be merged.

The reason is many browse via their phones and tablets and currently MAP isn't very phone friendly.

So rather than scoll through several forums looking for WC, Lau Gar or Pak Mei for example it'll just be under Kung Fu,

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Sometime comparison can make people to understand MA in much more deeper level. In a WC forum, the following discussion will never happen.

During the WC beginner training stage, the WC form will ask you to only move your arms while your body is frozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbnOZBsIQSE

During the beginner training stage, many MA systems will ask you to freeze your arms and only move your body.

https://youtu.be/PNPpwIoD0N8?t=30

https://youtu.be/NfwLXkMzTQQ

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  10. Hannibal

Yeah I found it after my post so edited....I thought he meant a thread initially!

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The following discussion also will never happen in a WC forum.

A: What's your opinion on WC YJKYM stance?
    B: It protects the groin area from kick. It also gives your both hands to have the same reach.
    C: Since your knees are too close to each other, it's easier for your opponent to take you down with "double legs". Since your heels are pointing outward, it's easier for your opponent to sweep you.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Along w/keeping WC in the KF forum I'd suggest getting rid of the TC and "Internal" forums. Rename the KF the CMA forum,we don't need the artificial distinctions,esp as there aren't enough active members who do HI/TC/PK/BJ etc. systems anyway.

I don't know what you should do w/ch'i gung matters,tho'.Ya might wanna keep those apart.

13. Gnosis

Gnosis New Member

Maybe there is no call for it because you don´t have it? And since when is a large number not a good reason?

Not specific styles according to your definition would be....

Ju jutsu/Judo/Aikido/Hapkido can be put in the same

MMA/BJJ same same...

14. Gnosis

Gnosis New Member

@Youknowwho

Thank you for your contribution. Which is just as intelligent as people who says Tai Chi does under no circumstance work on the street because no one fights that slow.

15. Hannibal

Those styles are massively different and have a multitude of followers and practitioners. Wing Chun, although not hidden, is not actually that widely practiced compared to many others

JKD only has it's own forum because it is a modern system (and owns up to being so) and Bruce Lee is the most widely recognised martial artist in the world so there is a lot of collateral interest. If Wing Chun wasn;t served at all, I would be right with you, but it fits nicely within the KF forum and it isn't as though it is overwhelmed with Wing Chun threads

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Of course a "large" number would be a good reason. For example, in the beginning there was no BJJ forum. It was included within JuJitsu. But, when the traffic became so lopsided that BJJ-specific discussions eclipsed all other jujitsu discussions, the administrators opened a separate forum.

Forum arrangements are reviewed occasionally. Right now there is not enough wing chun-specific traffic to warrant a wing chun-specific forum, but if it should go the direction of BJJ, I'm sure the Admin will create a separate forum.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah I had to ask the mods to edit/remove the original MMA forum which was called "MMA/Submission fighting". Very tacky and it made sense to change it.

18. Gnosis

Gnosis New Member

And let me repeat myself, maybe that´s because there is no specific Wing Chun forum. People go elsewhere because they don´t want to go through unrelated styles and topics to have a Wing Chun debate.

Ju jutsu, Judo, Aikido, Hapkido all come from the same source... Japanese ju- jutsu. Yet have separate forums, Wing Chun does not have the same source as other chinese systems.

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The kung fu forum in general is quiet. You're not likely to be winning this battle man.

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It originates from Fujian white crane with heavy influences from the other southern Chinese short hand systems, so yes, yes it does. There's no need for a separate forum. It's not like anyone's been scared off by not having an exclusive place to post wing chun stuff. It comes up occasionally, and it does just fine where it is based on the volume of posts.

To quote Rambo, "Let it go."