Wing Chun for kids? - nr Nottingham

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Adam R, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Adam R

Adam R New Member

My 9 yr old daughter has expressed a consistent desire to take up an open hand MA - I would like her to go for Wing Chun - does anyone know if anyone teaches wing chun to youngsters? Locally would be fantastic - but any glimmer of hope would be nice. Failing that - any similar thoughts on what she might take up?

Thanks

Adam

2. itchyfeet

itchyfeet Valued Member

err...where's local?

From my own personal experience of kids, a lot of them can get quite bored of styles with huge emphasis on technique, especially WC and Chinese arts in particular where it's very intricate. I have problems explaining the Siu Lim Tao form to my 11 year old nephew who does Taekwondo.

Some people might see it as unfashionable, but I see Taekwondo or Judo to be perfect for kids - loads of exercise, lots of rolling around, getting their hands dirty so to speak.

Another thing I'd consider is whether there are other kids in the school. It can be quite intimidating to be surrounded by just adults even if they do allow kids. It'll be fun for her if there's plenty of her own age there.

I have no idea where you are but if you're close to East London / Essex then http://www.ukwingchun.com/ has specific kids classes.

Best of luck.

EDIT - ahh. I didn' read your post properly. You're in Nottingham. Doh!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  3. Adam R

Adam R New Member

Yeah - good points, it might be why I only see TKD/Shotokan and Judo classes for kids. I'd like her to do Tai Chi - but I can't imagine any youngster getting to grips with it's esoteric nature. Cheers
    Adam

4. itchyfeet

itchyfeet Valued Member

How about here: http://www.kick-fit.co.uk/jeetkunedo.htm

Jun Fan has elements of Wing Chun, she gets to mix it with other arts, loads of bashing each other with sticks and a specific kids programme.

Sounds perfect! :)

5. Adam R

Adam R New Member

OMG - perfect - I feel blind!