Wing Chun Counters For Kicks

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by splodge, Oct 6, 2005.

1. splodge

splodge New Member

Hi,

I have just finished an article on Wing Chun counters for kicks and would appreciate your comments especially those from martial artists of other styles with regard to how these principles fit with your teachings and what you do the same or differently.

You can take a look at it by clicking: WING CHUN COUNTERS FOR KICKS

2. tonyr1967

tonyr1967 Valued Member

Good article.

Some thoughts:

Stepping in with your whole body, as soon as a kick is launched (takes excellent timing) but would normally nulify the kick and catch the attacker on one leg and off balance and send them crashing to the floor.

I'd agree with the point regarding blocking kicks with hands; However, I've seen this one done against an incoming karate roundhouse (not a thai monster) - pak sau/palm strike to an incoming knee cap, just as the leg was straightening. Don't know if I'd recommend it, but it was extremely effective...and looked very painful.

Last thought - When I first learned chi gerk, I used my knees to attack the shins on incoming kicks (doesn't work against incoming shin kicks!!) my classmates didn't appreciate it at the time and my Sifu used to shout lots and often. A very effective technique nonetheless.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  3. Taffy37

Taffy37 just blue

Agree with Tonyr good article.

Still trying to explain to some, that a kick needs to be deflected not blocked on most occasions.

4. splodge

splodge New Member

Thanks guys, excellent points I too made strikes to the knees on circular kicks and it really does need excellent timing but it is devastating when it works, I left it out really because I wanted to stress the point of passive blocking and didnt want to cloud what I was saying but thats not to say other techniques arent effective as I am sure many other martial arts use more direct techniques well it was just my opinion that we should always be soft defensively in Wing Chun and explode hard when we attack.

I did not mention another favorite move that is when you close the distance it is very effective to trap your opponents lead leg with your own to stop the short kicks.................I will add that to it I think when I get chance.

5. combatfight

combatfight New Member

Shaolin Weapon

Check out this site for real Combat Wing Chun Kung Fu Lineage: Yip Man > Ho Kam Ming and advanced Shaolin Weapponry system from Master Sonny Le. http://www.canadashaolin.co