Wing Chun book

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by SteelyPhil, Sep 3, 2007.

1. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

I'm looking for a decent Wing Chun book to read on my way to University everday day (30 min there and back on the train). I was wondering if anybody knew of any particularly good ones and which i should steer clear of. I flicked through "Why Wing Chun Works by Alan Gibson" (1998 ed, there seems to be a load of different covers???) though the shop was closing at the time so didn't get to library it for long. Lots of pictures in it.
    I'd like something that could work as a sort of reference guide at low levels and maybe explain the basic techniques (maybe with some theory as well).
    Sorry if re-thread, my search-fu has been poor recently.

2. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Yeah why wing chung works is a great book , i read that when i first started WC like a week into my training helpd me alot helped me understand alot of the practicle work in the art ( thanks to the pictures and explanitons to go with it) There is a why wing chung works part 2 ( more advanced ) which iam currently about to order so hopefully i can grasp this book also as i have advance more since reading the first book.

Iam currently reading the tao of Gung fu .. not a WC based book but still pretty good read at the mo ..

I myself im wanitn got find more books dedicated to WC and not just Kung fu in general which they all seem to be

Sorry this aint too much help but think im in your shoes at the mo , i want a book i can revert to for ideas and what not..

I love reading theories and peoples thoughts on the art itself ..

3. SteelyPhil

Might get Why WC works then, if its a pretty good read. Some guys at my club have books from various masters etc, but never really taken note of them. I've got 1 hour every day to read, so might as well do something productive :D. I was in Waterstones and there was books on Kung Fu then there seemed to be quite a few Wing Chun books all gathered together (5 or 6). Obviously there was a boat load of JKD books there as well.

4. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Yeah well i would recommend Why WC works ( my sifu is actually on the back of the book recommending it , thats why i read it ) Yeah i generaly found that when i was in a book shop ( cant rember the name off top of my head) the MA section was full of your typicall boxing, JKD and bruce lee books .. the tao of gung fu is bruce lee book but isnt a what i like to call "commercial" . its actually factual and a good read !

5. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

If your going to get 'Why Wing Chun Works' by Alan Gibson, get the latest edition(2nd I think); and if you get that one you might as well get 'Look Beyond the Pointing Finger: The Combat Philosopy of Wong Shun-leung' By David Peterson, which has the same material and more.

6. CFT

CFT Valued Member

"Why Wing Chun Works" 2nd ed. is very good; quite different to the 1st one if I remember correctly.

7. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

yeah the first book i have read seems more for people just starting out in the art , but still is a good read no matter i think .. im ordering the 2nd one tomorrow so will order "'Look Beyond the Pointing Finger: The Combat Philosopy of Wong Shun-leung" also if its recommended

8. Gong_Sau_Rick

The reason I recommend Look Beyond the Pointing Finger., is because the reason why Alan Gibson changed his ideas/perspectives from his first edition of Why Wing Chun Works was because of his association with the author of Look Beyond the Pointing Finger, sifu David Peterson (Alan Gibson is a WSL method convert).

Both books are great but Look Beyond the Pointing FInger is not only more comprehensive but also a more enjoyable read, however I've heard it's much harder to get your hands on.

9. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

is wsl book back in print? the last time i inquired david said maybe one day.

10. Gong_Sau_Rick

It will be back in print very shortly, David's also released some in depth DVDs on the first two forms.

11. Gong_Sau_Rick

12. CFT

CFT Valued Member

13. SteelyPhil

I'm somewhat of a noob, is is worth buying the second book or will it be more advanced than I am and serve as confusion??? Or is it just the first book but with more stuff in it?
    That WSL book looks good, will keep an eye out for it.

14. CFT

CFT Valued Member

It's worth buying IMO. I've skim read a friends copy. It seems to be largely a collection of essays about the WSLVT method, lots of photos, etc. There is no "advanced" about it - you should be able to draw what you need from the book. I have always found his writing very accessible.

15. jonsey80

jonsey80 Valued Member

why wing chun works is a good book..though i misplaced my copy :( the ones i have are:

Wing chun: Skill & Phillosophy by Yip Chun with Danny Connor
    The Path to Wing Chun By Samuel Kwok
    Wing Chun: Traditional Chinese Kung Fu for Self Defense & Health by Yip Chun with Michael Tse

and a much lamented book and video i bought before starting the style......

Dynamic Wing Chun by the amazig DR Leung Ting

16. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

17. SteelyPhil

there's 4 books by gibson but the first 2 have similar titles??? I'm pretty sure i saw the second one done in Waterstone tother day.

18. Kilkeel Gary

Kilkeel Gary New Member

Hello There

Hi

Try 'Mastering Kung Fu - featuring Shaolin Wing Chun', which offers info on Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. Good luck with your search.

Cheerio, Gary

19. CFT

CFT Valued Member

The first book (BWC:WWCW) on that page is the 2nd edition of the second book (WWCW).

20. SteelyPhil

how confusing.
    1st book on page = 2nd ed?
    2nd book on page = 1st ed?
    correct?
    sorry to press the point i'm going over to waterstones tomorrow