wing chun and jeet kune do

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Fujian Animal, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Fulian Animal, you miss the point by an absolute mile.

Not only that, you have MMA all wrong and by the sounds of it, JKD too.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

But we are/were on the "progressive" side of the fence in our training Simon - JKD also boasts some of the most myopic and logically flawed individuals I have met...which considering what Bruce wanted to achieve is even more laughable.

Follow the money seems to be the rule sadly....especially where Bruce's Legacy is concerned

3. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

agree

sadly this is not just a today thing, but has been going on for hundreds of years, even before jkd came along, like in wing chun traditions the rule has always been the same, if you want to learn the deeper secrets of wing chun it is very expensive to learn, has been even back before grandmaster yip man, always has kung fu been passed in secret with old saying "knowledge is to be sold not told" so unfortunately yes it is all about the money, also follow the fame of yip man and bruce lee because that is where the money is, everyone is trying to exploit and make a name for themselves

in regard to what simon says, can only chuckle because again it is like walking into a church where the preacher look at you and say "no no no you are doing it all wrong" after reading the bible where jesus say "everything is clean to those who are have faith", it is the same thing always in jkd, everyone have their own way and everyone think their way is the right way, everyone quick to criticise, everyone quick to argue about it or try and correct others who are different from themselves, but like hannibal say it is not worth arguing over, bruce say "give up even the notion of what is or isn't jkd" from the book tao of jeet kune do 1975 edition

my concept of jkd is what i learn and practice, not just from one man's perspective on jkd, but from many people and how or what they are teaching as jkd, so i don't just take knowledge from one of bruce lee's original students, i try to learn from as many of them as i can and then develop my own jkd from there using what i learned, which i have trained with many of sijo's original students include taky kimura who is higher rank in jkd than guru dan inosanto, but have also trained with dan inosanto and some of his students in jkd, also with daniel lee and ted wong who are both train with bruce lee and dan inosanto for several year, also richard bustillo and jerry poteet, allen joe and some 2nd generation practitioners of jkd like lamar davis jr., david gallaher, paul lewis, jeff santella and others, even 3rd generation practitioners of jkd like wayne king jr., jay kollar, gary levenson, and some 1st generation original students of bruce lee before the jkd-era, like jesse glover

what does all this mean? nothing really, it is just highlite some of the people who influence my jkd training, but not all of them have the same jkd, some are not even call it jkd, some more focus on jkd boxing, some more focus on jkd kicking, some more focus on jkd grappling, some more focus on wing chun, some more focus on eskrima, some more focus on gun training, but all are share a lineage stem from sijo bruce lee..... so just because my jkd is different from yours, does that make it all wrong? how would you feel if you went to an instructor who gave you lessons in mma, and then some random guy on the internet who you never meet say "you have mma all wrong" that would make you kind of chuckle wouldn't it? imagine how ackward that would make you feel, so no disrespect intended, i know you are knowledgable jkd guy but please dont dog my tea before you taste it is all am saying, i am jkd guy too just my jkd is different from yours

4. Hannibal

No he does not. No one holds higher rank than Guro Dan

He holds NO rank in JKD; If people go to Taky wanting JKD he sends them to Dan

Taky is SENIOR to Dan only in terms of "time in" - and that is why Bruce siad they should always respect him as such.

5. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Apparently that has changed in the last few years.
    I remember he used to say he wasnt teaching JKD but now his website says that they do.

6. Fujian Animal

taky hold rank 5 in jkd, dan hold rank 3 in jkd, issued before sijo lee abandoned the ranking system in jkd, have seen both certificates and both are jkd certificates, and yes taky kimura tell students that dan inosanto is a better instructor than he is, but taky kimura also very humble, and taky kimura jkd is different from dan inosanto jkd, so to learn from both is probably best for developing your own jkd

7. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I have become fond of the WNG method.

8. Hannibal

You are mistaken

Taky holds 5th rank in JUN FAN GUNG FU - he was not and is not JKD certified.

9. Fujian Animal

if you are correct then i apologise, could almost swear though what i saw was jkd certificate, but even i make mistake sometimes

sijo lee did keep taky kimura updated on jkd training in seattle from los angeles, however, so he did have jkd training by bruce lee up until the time lee passed away, taky's gung fu was very different from jesse glover's gung fu

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  10. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

Not that I really care either way, but if we're going to re-hash pointless discussions from the early 1990's then we may as well be specific:

- Daniel Inosanto received a certificate from Bruce Lee on February 9th 1967 issuing him with a "3rd Rank from the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute".
    - Taky Kimura received a certificate from Bruce Lee on November 1st 1967 issuing him with a "5th Rank from the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute".

Neither certificate specifies the name of an art, because the name of the art changed so much that they got fed up of changing all of the stationary.

Taky is Dan's senior, and Dan has always acknowledged this. The two men share a great deal of love and respect and always have done through all the political BS, so what exactly is the point of this discussion?

11. Hannibal

Points of clarity and accuracy only - nothing more.

In fact what you put was pretty much said as much above and the whole coversation is pretty congenial by JKD standards :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  12. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

Nope. You said this, and it's not true. It is neither accuracy nor clarity.

No big deal.

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's nice for us outsiders to see a bit of history and background.

14. Hannibal

I was only going off what Taky had said - and in fairness I didn't explictly state it as being connected to the previous poster stating "Taky is Senior to Dan in JKD"

Taky always said he didn't practice or teach JKD, and he always deferred to Dan on that. Dan similarly always defers to Taky as being his senior

But as you said, it isn't really a big issue as the two scholls have never had anything but an amicable relationship

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Doesn't Dan have a letter from Bruce stating that he is the only person certified to teach JKD?

It isn't important, but it's just something my JKD instructor said to me once.

16. Hannibal

Dan holds three certificates if my memory serves - "Jun Fan Gung Fu", "Tao of Chinese Gung Fu" and "Jeet Kune Do"

The "Tao" one is oft contested, but has actually been seen by many others.

17. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

Okee dokee, all good.

Simon, that relates to instructions from Bruce Lee that Guro Inosanto is the only person authorised to issue rank in Jeet Kune Do, but woh let's not open that can of worms. :)

18. Hannibal

Awwwww...spoilsport!

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

you say all this, then wonder why people say over and over on every thread you take part in you are wrong:confused::confused::confused:

20. Fujian Animal

guru dan inosanto has very, very, VERY fast hands, this i know from personal experience, he knows so much and can blend so well using different methods and styles together, but he speaks so fast as if he expect you to absorb everything he has to show you in a very short time

sifu taky kimura is not as fast, but he is also much older, very knowledgable and patient with students, very good instructor, different method than dan inosanto but not so much so that i would call it a different style, to me they are both jkd guys from the same tree, just two different branches producing different colored flowers and leaves, both taky's gung fu and dan's gung fu fit together and blend well, not difficult for any jkd practitioner to absorb, but neither is it hard for jkd guys to absorb jesse glover's gung fu either, all of sijo lee's students offered a little bit of the process

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.