Wing chun Advice

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by starbug, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Props to them for putting it out there but in all reality it just looked like bad, unfocused MMA.

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like how they pose like they do martial arts...waves hands around in a silat manner...stick hands out like a I do WC...but then basically just swing and brawl for a bit! And then back to the hand waving and the posing...and then brawl again!
    Brilliant. :)

4. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

This is one of my main pet peeves. People that claim they can fight with their art, move around in specific stances related to their art, but then when it comes to blows it turns into untrained boxing/wrestling when they realize none of what they know actually works when the person isn't standing there letting them do it.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like what the CLF guys do.
    Make a haymaker part of your training (they call it a chup choi or something) and so then when you do one in a proper fight you can still say you are doing CLF. :)

6. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

HAHA so cynical Smithy!! :)

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Guilty your honour.
    My own personal martial art employs substantial use of ducking the head and windmilling the arms. So if you see me doing that in sparring I am actually employing my training in full.

8. melb

melb Banned Banned

I just think this sort of thinking is way out there. So faced with a guy who knows how to punch your only option as a WC guy is to do a rugby tackle? If your WC is so restrictive, I'd recommend a new teacher..one that advocates sparring. It's only with sparring that you ingrain the defences that you'll need on the street and only through sparring that you'll come across the whole gambit of strikes that people can throw at you. Sorry for stating the obvious but how many people who do MA in general have a decent amount of sparring hours under their belt? Its like pilots, they measure it in hours spent flying. Same goes for MA. It doesnt matter so much what style you subscribe to, its the amount of hours you've spent sparring that matter...then you get into the spar with someone better than you, drag you up, spar with someone worse, drag you down..Sorry to keep harping on about it but the only reason styles such as muay thai and kickboxing are held in such high esteem isnt because they are technicaly so wonderful, its simply because sparring is a big part of their training process.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I disagree. I think they are held in such high regard because the exponents of those style have proven themselves time and time again in high-contact arenas at various levels of contact and protection. When the rubber meets the road, these guys always come out on top.

At the end of the day real Martial Artists don't give a crap about "technicaly so wonderful." I'm punching someone in the gob.

Wing Chun players are like the engineers of the Martial Arts world.

"I won't punch you in the gob unless it's technically perfect."

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

The implication here that all chunners are one way is kind of silly IMO. There are those of us who aren't total lunkheads :rolleyes:

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As has been observed by others that is the exception rather than the rule

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you're training in a system that routinely instills people with good fighting ability, it's bound to get more respect where there's a system where you can only point to a select few as a good example of those who can fight. It's not a style vs style issue at all, but rather effective vs ineffective training methods.

13. melb

melb Banned Banned

if you want to train large numbers of people how to fight then kickboxing would be my first choice. If, as an individual, you want a MA to train in for life (and able to incorporate other styles into it) then WC would be my choice. What you're saying Kuma is that style X is good because they spar, style Y is bad because they dont. What Im saying is that faced with 2 schools/teachers who have their students spar an equal amount, Id go for the WC.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

System choices are an individual thing, no doubt about that. If you can find a WC school that fits your needs as to what you require as a martial artist, then by all means stick with it. From the sounds of it that's a rare thing and you'll be lucky to have found it.

15. melb

melb Banned Banned

No Kuma I just think think youve got people who dont know anything...kb is the perfect style for those who have no idea..ie.hold your hands up and....
    WC on the other hand takes a lot longer...

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Your leaps of logic are bizarre to say the least.

So let's get this straight... you believe having a solid guard and protecting the head (eg. having your hands up in guard) is for people who 'know nothing'? Obviously that's just silly. But please break it down for us why having a guard is silly when in a fight...:rolleyes:

WC takes a lot longer for what? To make it effective? If that's the case your argument is as crap as your logic. You're essentially arguing 'form over function'... and old and funky chesnut. It's like saying... yes... have a crap guard... crap slappy punches... and a knock knee'd stance and you too will be able to defend yourself in __ insert number of decades here ___ . Brilliant. Just abso-freak-yo-mamma-brilliant!

ahahhahahahah... melb are you for real?!?!

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Says melb who by his own admission has not trained for two decades.

18. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I think what he means is that some things are more instantly applicable. For instance the guard in boxing or kickboxing can be used pretty easily to block some punches after just one lesson whereas the guard in Wing Chun requires proficiency in certain techniques to be effective.
    Or boxing punches. After one lesson the person you taught boxing to would be able to punch harder because assuming that both students would make the same number of errors the boxing punches lend themselves better to the use of brute strength.
    It doesn`t mean that one style is better but one style does lend itself better to use of brute strength. I think if you compared two students learning Wing Chun punching and CLF style strikes you`d see similar results.

That`s my personal opinion though and we`d have to conduct a scientific experiment to determine whether it would in fact be true. And it may be tainted by the fact that I grew up in a culture where boxing was the normal type of striking so I`ve had the opportunity to see it my whole life. So any study would also have to be cross cultural as that may be a mediating factor in the whole process.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

All fine and well except the boxing punch isn't about brute strength. If that was the case there'd be no end of bodybuilders and power lifters in boxing. Yet you don't see that at all... it's about timing, distance and speed. Not about brute strength. Have you ever actually boxed? This is the same type of stuff I hear normally from people who haven't actually boxed.

20. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I understand that. What I mean is when you're teaching a wing chun punch and a boxing punch because of the style of punching you can more easily make up for the deficit in technique by using brute strength. It's easier to throw a bad hook hard and make it work than throw a bad straight punch hard and make it work.
    I can teach someone to throw a hook that hurts in about 5 minutes even if it's done wrong. The same isn't, I think, as true of Wing Chun punching.