Winded/stitch whilst practicing jumping kicks.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SpikeD, Sep 11, 2008.

1. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Whenever i practice jumping kicks i get seriously winded and develop a stitch, always on the right hand side. It does not matter whether i do them as a first set of kick drills or last and i almost never (unless its a beasting) get a stitch practicing standard kicks.
    I remember reading something many moons ago that runners tend to get a stitch because of exhaling as they are placing their right foot down and this compresses the liver or something along those lines. Could this be a similar thing do you think? I have tried to exhale before jumping, before i kick, as i kick and after i kick (obviously not all in one jump lol) but i still get winded.
    Does anyone have any insights? No one else in the class seems to suffer any where near as much if at all.
    SpikeD

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

No one has any advice?

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Perhaps you read about the cause of a "stitch" here:

What causes a "Stitch" while running?

Seems to contain your words at least. Any way, when ever I have a stitch, from running or training, I usually do 2 things:
    1. I slow down. Don't stop, just ease off your intensity until the pain eases.
    2. Because I have slowed down, I slow my breathing and concentrate on my technique. Yes, I concentrate my posture and foot placement if I am running. I assume you can do the same thing when doing kicks.

Have you tried just doing the jumping and not the kicks? If so, do you still get the same stitch? If not, try and let us know what happens.