Will MA hinder muscle growth when weight training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SHAD0W, Oct 30, 2012.

1. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Valued Member

Hi guys, not sure if this is posted in the right place but I'm sure the mods will move it. Anyways - my question.

If your attacked during MA training or sparring in an area you were previously weight training, will the damage done hinder muscle growth?

For example, Sunday I was training chest and biceps at the gym, doing some pretty strenuous bench press and bicep curls. Monday I wake up and it aches like crazy in all the right places. Later in the day I go to ninjutsu class and my sparring partner ends up kneeling on my bicep with his left and my chest with his right as he punches me in the face. It hurt x100 more than it would have had I not been to the gym. I was wondering if hurting my already tired muscles like that would have any effect on their growth?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it depends if there's additional damage done.
    Just kneeling on a muscle that already has DOMS will probably make no difference (it'll just hurt!).
    But taking a full thigh kick after doing leg work will just give the muscle additional damage to repair and may hamper the strength building that may have resulted as additional resources get re-routed to deal with that.
    Probably not something to really worry about though.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

OH NO YOUR GONNA DIE!
    everyday is curl and bench day, you did it wrong! then you wont feel the pain!

but seriously.
    most research i can find seems to indicate that if there was bruising or a contusion is had to be severe to have any affect.
    if its severe or repetitive then you need to worry.
    in BJJ placing the point of your knee on someones bicep is a bicep slice and does this. its easy to bruise.

This explains severity of bruising and what you'll feel. if its a minor bruise then there wont be much strength loss.
    http://www.physio-pedia.com/index.php?title=Quadricpes_Muscle_Contusion
    check this out too.
    http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/bruise-contusion.php
    you basically need to massage, stretch and straighten out the fascia if its not too severe