will it help with hockey

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by moose, Feb 23, 2003.

1. moose

moose New Member

iam currently playing ice hockey at a very high level. i am a goalie so i need quick reactions. will taking TKD help speed up my reactions and help keep me in shape over the next few months. can i replace my weight training with TKD?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2003
  2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I would say yes!

Can't see what value weights would have for you.

Anyone else?

Welcome to the forum btw.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Welcome!

I think you're either alert and have fast repsonses, or you don't. TKD might help hone them if you have them already. Take it up anyway, I'm sure you get hooked like the rest of us :)

Sarah

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

TKD can keep u in shape

TKD for increasing reactions??
    nope i guess...
    u need to do specific drills for improving reaction time n reflexes
    i m feeling bit lazy rite now...just hope if others post the drills for simple reflexes otherwise i'll do it later.
    -TkdWarrior-

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Absolutely. Movement is movement. Balance is balance. The specific details differ, but training in one will improve your general ability which will, in turn, improve your ability (and understanding) in the other.

Mike

6. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I'd say TKD would be very good for your conditioning/fitness, and balance. But you control the hockey stick with your arms, not your legs, so there could be better choices, as you don't make much use of your arms in TKD compared to other fighting arts.

A kickboxing style (American Kickboxing or Savate, but not Muay Thai) would also be worth considering, as these also include high kicks but are more hand oriented... (Muay Thai is a more effective fighting style, but focuses on low kicks, so wouldn't develop your balance as well).