will it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cavallin, Apr 23, 2006.

1. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

its a maximum progressive test. so you start jogging slowly and you have to reach the other side of the pitch at the beep.
    it gets faster every level, and there are 10 shuttles for every level.

so im doing 110 shuttle, getting faster and faster at each level.

so its almost like a mix of both!

2. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

You start off at the wall of a room then you hear a beep and you have to reach the other wall before the next beep, the beep slowly gets faster and faster, so you start off at a walk then you end up sprinting from wall to wall.

Edit: What she said^^

3. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Lift yourself pull-up style on a bar but with the hands facing away. The harder version of a pull-up.

4. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i cant even do one pull up!!!!! and my doorway cant have a pole in it. and im too heavy for the shower curtain :D

5. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Chin-ups are where you grab hold of a bar above you with your palms facing you, and pull yourself up until your chin is about level with the bar. I'd recommend working on them anyway, even if you don't need them for this test. You can work them in the same routine as pushups or dips as they use different muscles (well, they mainly use different muscles anyway).

Even better, get a couple of the little sprogs to sit on your back as you do them :D

6. Roual

Sorry mate, wrong way round, chins are with palms facing you, and pull ups are with palms facing away. Which is harder is a matter of perspective (and muscles :) )

7. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I did look on a site before posting, and it showed the chin-up as palms away.

Link.

On second look though, it also shows pull-up as hands facing away. :confused:

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

What does that have anything to do with it?

9. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

just incase people think "10 push ups? man you suck!" or something.

10. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Well no offence but 10 push ups is the max you can do without collapsing you do suck if your over the age of 15 i think you should at least be able to do 20ish, regardless of your sex. It dosent take much to do a few press ups each night.

11. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i take it you mean if you're training? i know a lot of people who cannot do push ups??
    i can do 20 ish tbh, im just being modest. thats just how i am, it's more lack of confidance than modesty even.

anyway i know it doesnt take much to do a few PU every night i never said it did. they were not a priority until now anyway.

and well, i guess i took offence! :rolleyes:

12. Roual

If I remember correctly, you have to do pushups for 1 minute, yeah?

How about some tabata style pushups, pushups with feet raised, one arm pushups (I'm guessing you're not quite there with these yet :) ), hindu pushups, divebomber pushups, etc. Basically, don't just train pushups. Train other types of pushups as well as conventional ones.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'd agree with doing interval work, and I've done the same test Cavallin's gopt to do :)

Remember, it's not how many press-ups you can do in one go, it's how many you can do in a minute. Assuming you can't keep going solidly for a minute, you'll end up doing them in bursts with a short breather. Exactly like intervals.

The same applies to all the other bodyweight exercises.

Remember that you will be asessed on flexibility too, so make sure you stretch after your runs; I always feel tighter after running so it's worth loosening off so you wont lose marks on the stretch test.

As for the bleep test, I'd do 400m sprints followed by a short rest. It's something I picked up from r Minott and from a website (I'll look for the link, it's a T nation one I think). The bleep test is incredibly easy for the first few levels, it's only as it picks up pace that it gets harder, and that's when the sprints will help.

Don't worry too much though, I don't think it's a pass/fail thing, more that they're baselining all instructors. Of course, it would raise eyebrows if the results were too terrible, but I would think you'll be fine. You must be in pretty good shape after grading so recently?

Mitch

Edit: the link for 400m sprint training.here's

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  14. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

First off, welcome to the little slice of heaven that is the H&F area. :Angel:

Secondly, guys, you're forgetting that she only has 2 weeks until her goal date. Tabatas, while usually an effective training method, are very good at causing soreness which can take some time to adapt to and recover from. So, those wouldn't be ideal for this situation.

Thirdly,
    We tend not to care about particulars like that. In the gym, there are no genders, only trainees. (wow, how zen that sounds.) :cool:

Fourthly, based on what you've recognized as your immediate priorities:
    I'd agree with whoever suggested training the push-ups and dips several times through the day. Say, once before work, once after work, and once before bed. 1 set of each exercise, for 8-10 reps each time (every set should feel quite easy), done 4 or 5 days a week. It's less than ideal, but it should work.

And you have an official invitation to come back in 2 weeks to sort out the rest of your training. We'll have you knocking off pull-ups like it's no one's business (if you want to). ;)

Best of luck. Any questions, please follow up.

15. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

yay im defo coming back in two weeks :) i need a good sorting out :D

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Mitch

17. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

One last thing if its however many you can do in a minute i'd suggest that if you can do 30 in a burst try doing 1 push up every 2 seconds if you keep going till the ned it makes you look better ;) ,

18. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

You know, somewhere in China, theres an 11 year old girl that lifts more than the strongest guy in your gym. Think about it ;).

19. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

thank you harhar, that's exactly the kind of motivation i want.
    especially when im going to write this:

i've done some tricep dips, on my bed, it's the perfect height and is made of round metal bars. the trouble is, my wrists hurt just after doing two sets one this morning and one when i got back from work! pathetic little wrists of mine grrrr

what can i do?? i mean, shall i try them on something else?

20. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

If it hurts your wrist musles then just keep going you will be able to do it eventually, if it is because the bed is digging into your wrists or something try wrapping a pillow or something soft around the bar.