will it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cavallin, Apr 23, 2006.

1. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

omg im posting in H&F, hi!

i have an Instructor's course, in 2 weeks (6&7th May)
    i will be tested on various things including Bleep Test, flexibility and exercises. i'm happy with mosts things, apart that i could be better at push ups and endurance.
    i can reach about level 11 on the bleep test, and can do 10 decent push ups, 20 ok ones.

i was wondering if doing anything extra will change anything in just 2 weeks (iv barely just found out what the course will entail)
    i once took up jogging, and only after 3 runs it noticeably improved. (i suffer from asthma which is triggered by running)

so could you tell me whether it wont change a damn thing if i train extra, or if it will help, what you think i should do.

i train in TKD tuesdays and fridays for 2hrs (quite good workouts)

thanks for your help!

ps: and tricept dips which i SUCK at!!!!!

2. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Welcome to health and fitness :D

Do you do any other training, or just TKD?

3. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

at the moment just TKD (im VERY busy) i have a gym membership too if that helps! oh and remember im a girl :)

4. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Just train for whatever you need to be able to do, if you need to be able to do push ups then do 5 sets of push ups throughout the day, if you need to be able to do a bep test then go on a 3 mile rurn, if you need to be able to do dips then do 5 sets of dips throughout the day ect.

Edit: I'd start now as you only have 2 weeks, but don't worry if you fail misserably, your only a girl after all. ;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  5. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

5 sets of how many?
    so just do 5 sets of (10? 20?) push ups everyday
    go running everyday? (dont i need a day of rest in between :D lol)
    if im going round the block how can i tell what 3 miles looks like?

6. Roual

Just re-read your original post. When you say endurance, I'm assuming you mean aerobic fitness (i.e. the ability to run a damn log way and not pass out / throw up after 3 minutes :D )

Personally, if you can bear it, I'd recommend some interval training, maybe burpee's or squats.

And with a picture like that, how could we forget you're a girl (shouldn't that be woman?) :rolleyes:

Dammit, forgot to ask... I haven't seen a bleep test since I was in middle school (about 10 years) so is level 11 good? I know it's sort of sprint type stuff, but thats about it.

7. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

1. Until failure and spreas them out throughout the day.
    2. every day is fine for 3 miles, Thai boxers in thailand often run 6 miles a day on top of 7 hours training.
    3. It normally takes me just under 20 mins to run 3 miles so if you can run for 25 min and assuming that your avatar is you that should be about right.

8. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

Isn't a beep test where the beeps slowly get faster? If it is how would interval training help there are no rest periods it's a continuos exercise so you should train continuosly (sp?).

9. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

you'd be surprised :rolleyes:
    what is interval training? we do loads of burpees and squats at TKD, i can handle them, i know it's confusing, but it's running im poor at because it's precisely what triggers my asthma.

so how many push ups everyday? how spaced out?
    same with tricept dips?
    how often should i go running? how can i tell how much distance iv ran?

they will also test our flexibility. is it ok to stretch everyday, so long as i stretch somthing different?

sorry but im a complete newbie in these areas.

10. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

You can stretch the same muscle group every day as long as there not sore from the day before, see my other post for all the other awnsers. Same goes for all non weighted push ups/dips any other exercise. Also remember to warm up properly before you stretch and raise your body temp. it stops you injuring yourself and let's you stretch further.

11. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

what if im at work 9-4?

lol. yes it's me BUT i have asthma. i get out of breath AS SOON AS i hit the tarmac. but i just keep going anyway and get past the hard stage then generally i can stumble along for some time :D

yes the bleep test gets faster and faster.

12. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

I'm at school from 7am-3pm then on tuesdays i work 7pm 9pm as well and i manage to get plenty of training in. if you get back at 4 that gives you at least 6 hours to do 4 sets of push ups/dips/whatever the hell else you want assuming you do one set in the morning.

13. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

ok thats definately possible, i was just wondering how spaced out they should be.

woohoo this is gona be fun!

thank you for your help.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hi ya Cavallin,
    One thing I'm not clear on from your post is whether your being tested for aerobic fitness or anaerobic fitness on part of the test.

If you're going for aerobic fitness - then jogging is fine. Jogging up to 6 miles a day is going to improve your aerobic capacity. But it's going to do diddly squat for your anaerobic capacity.

Most competition martial artists need to be more concerned with anaerobic rather than aerobic capacity.

Why?

Because for the majority of competitive MA's you will be starting and stopping your heart rate will be going up and down as will your breathing rate. Think about it... no one boxes for an entire round continuously. They size each other up - trade blows and then back off.

This is why most boxers and MT fighters usually train anaerobically. They break it down into the half the round (usually 3 min.) is all out or fast paced - and the second half of the round is slower - not stopped - still putting in effort but not an all out effort. This effectively mimics what happens during the course of a round in a real fight.

Most fighters should shoot for a break that is roughly 70% anaerobic capacity and 30% capacity.

A good way to achieve this is something like High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Wind sprints, Tabatta squats etc. are all great ways to condition yourself anaerobically.

Hope that is some help and not just confusing. :)

15. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

its not confusing, just that i wrote exactly whay im going to be tested on:

a bleep test therefore i need to get my running good, seen as its running?

1 minute of:

push ups
    tricep dips
    squat thrusts }which i can cope with
    sit ups } which i can cope with
    running up and down pitch then jumping to clap partners high hands}which i can cope with

(im not doing any fighting)

16. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

She training for a beep not a fight so HIIT won't be a great deal of help even if it does carry through to aerobic activity it's not as effective as just training aerobically.

17. Roual

Push-ups and dips are all well and good, but how about chin-ups?

Maybe I'm looking at this from too much of a general view point. For pushups and dips, there's the Pavel method, which is basically do half your maximum number of reps spread throughout the day, everyday. So if you can manage 20 pushups, do 10 every chance you get throughout the day, if you work in an office, everytime you get up to get a drink, or stretch your legs, drop and do 10 pushups.

As for the stretching, remember, dynamic stretching before a workout, then static or isometric stretching after... I'm assuming you know the difference between the different types of stretching :)

Interval training is basically doing short bursts of high intensity work with short rests. A tabata style interval training thingy would be something like burpee's as fast as you can for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, go for 20, rest for 10 for a total of 8 sets of work and rest. This basically gives you a 4 minute workout that'll probably leave you laying in a pool of your own sweat :D

18. Roual

Ah, but, if she gets to a high level in the bleep test (bleep or beep?) then she'll be sprinting between two points and, I believe, sprinting is classed as anaerobic exercise. I can see your point though, if the majority of the training is aerobic, then aerobic training will probably be enough.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

err.. sorry so this bleep test is to test for aerobic capacity?
    Do you need to continuously run or are you doing sprints and then taking a break and then sprinting again?

Sorry maybe I'm confusing the issue... lol.... I've never heard of the Bleep test.:p

20. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

what are chin ups? i just want to do my best at the instructors course for now :D dont tell me chin up are when you lift yourself on a bar cos i cant do one.
    lol i work in a primary school, so i dont think the kids will give me much respect if i start doing push ups in the playground lol but fun idea. il just have to do it b4 and after work, i dont really work long hours so thats ok

yes i do :) woohoo im not entirely ignorant

sounds like our prelims :cry: