Will I grow any taller?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boogz, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Thanks guys.

If I do grow any taller, I'll be sure to tell you guys

I really hope I do :(
    This sucks really bad.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Heh, dont mean to be a prick, but like BeWater said, if this is your biggest problem then you have no idea how lucky you are.

3. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Let's not give the dude false hopes, there is only one way to properly increase height and that's having the leg bones broken and lengthened which is costly, painful and takes ages.

4. briangl

briangl New Member

Interesting article here:
    http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/hypopit/gh.html

Here is a quote from it:

"In children and young adults, the most intense period of growth hormone release is shortly after the onset of deep sleep."

I did a google search on growth hormone, another source stated that men "can" continue growing until the age of 25, I think it said women can grow until the age of 22. Apparently proper sleep patterns can help; regularity and length of sleep.

I am at work and don't have time to read too deeply on the subject, but it looks like there is a lot of information online. Just be careful of information on websites trying to sell something.

5. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Well it means a lot to me to get that extra 2 inches.

It's personal so I'd rather not tell anyone about it. I have not told anyone.

But yeah...that is my worst trouble in life right now, so I guess I'm kind of lucky. But this really means something to me.

All I can do is hope.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Maverick-I see no reason that in 10-15 or so years, nanotechnology or biotech advancements will allow someone to "modify" their height by a few inches. I see no reason that hoping science can help him out is a false hope, it seems just as valid as most hopes. Science can do wonderful things, and it is constantly evolving.

7. acarpe

acarpe Valued Ember

Evolving everywhere..'cept Kansas :bang: :p

8. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

in my medical opinion
    more likely then not your done. since you havent grown in 3 years your growth plates have likely fused.

growth plates fuse in response to estrogen. when you get a spike in testosterone during puberty some is converted to estrogen and the growth plates are fused. being that you have thick facial hair you have probably got your test spike.

another quick formula that i have found to be fairly accurate.

(dads height) + (moms height= 5 inches)
    take this sum and divide by 2

if you are a girl subtract 5 inches

this is your base height. this can go plus or minus 2 inches depending on environmental factors. (nutrition, naps)

9. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Men can/do grow til 20s - but width wise.

Try 50 years. And then everyone will be able to grow taller, so what would the point be?

10. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Okay, but will my doctor know if my growth plates are fused?

I'd like to know for sure.

11. Maverick

Maverick New Member

You could get a wrist x-ray, but I don't think he'd need to.

12. scorpiousmac

scorpiousmac Valued Member

Haven't got a medical opinion on this but what I do Know is that I grew 2" between the ages of 20 and 23.Having said that all I had on my face at 16 was a very light bit of fluff.Thing is mate there ain't a lot you can do about your height so just chill out and let nature take her course :)

13. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

correct a wrist x ray would tell. if the plates are not fused you can still grow and there are drugs to make you grow taller if your plates are not fused. however since you are well within the range of normal...no doc worthy of a licence will do it.

how tall is mom?

14. Boogz

Boogz New Member

No doctor worthy of a licence will do it just because I have no problems?

And is it an x ray of the actual "wrist"?

And is it expensive?

15. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

1. yeah...no problems....your height is well within normal...if it ant broke dont fix it.

2. it can be an xray of any bone. but for some reason they ussually use the wrist.

3. extremly expensive and you better LOVE getting shots

16. nobelt

nobelt Valued Member

just out of random interest, are u referring purely to the treatment wen u say it is expensive and no docs will do it?

how hard/expensive is it to find out simply if the wrist bones are fused? and then take no action.

17. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Yeah, I wouldn't think it would be that expensive. But I don't know.

18. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

So boys are garuanteed to be shorter than their fathers? Are you sure you're not supposed to add something if you're a boy? If we follow your formula for a couple of generations, we're going to end up with 2 foot tall human beings.

19. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

oops its
    (dads hieght) + (moms hieght+5 inches)

then devide by 2

then subtract 5 inches if you are a girl.
    then plus or minus 2 inche

moms hieght is corrected by the adding of the five inches.

for example me

dad=5'11
    mom= 5'2

71+67=138

138/2=69

i am 5'10"
    so im plus 1 inch. mom was short so that hurt me....but she must have made me go to bed early and eat my spinach. :D

20. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

oops its
    (dads hieght) + (moms hieght+5 inches)

then devide by 2

then subtract 5 inches if you are a girl.
    then plus or minus 2 inche

moms hieght is corrected by the adding of the five inches.

for example me

dad=5'11
    mom= 5'2

71+67=138

138/2=69

i am 5'10"
    so im plus 1 inch. mom was short so that hurt me....but she must have made me go to bed early and eat my spinach. :D

on the other note

xrays are cheap...treatment is expensive...and you have to be a human pin cushion.

all in all dont worry about your hieght...its the way god made you...not everyone is cut out to be an NBA player. and if you end up real short you can always have a long career as a hollywood actor. (cruze, stalone, snipes, hoffman, ect.)