Will I get bloody nose in shotokan training

Discussion in 'Karate' started by madhushanka, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You are using boil and chew ones just now?

2. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Chadderz, yes, those are ones that I've got experience of - they have never been overly successful and I'm not convinced that I wouldn't drown in my own saliva or collapse through lack of breath after 5 mins hard work.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd try one not in the class for a while each day? You'll soon get used to it
    Accidents happen so better you're prepared

4. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

While this is only my second post on here, and as such have no credentials, I would also highly recommend wearing a gum shield...

you've already proven that accidents can happen, even if not full contact sparring. I've seen teeth through lips due to accidental hits in the mouth and no gumshield. I've seen it on the rugby pitch, and also in my limited martial arts experience. It's messy.

I don't get on with the cheaper boil-in-water-and-then-mould types. Go to your dentist and have one made that fits you properly. More expensive, but far more comfortable.

Please wear one, your kids too :)

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Opro do relatively cheap custom ones. Mine was around 50 quid I think and I'm perfectly happy with it

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Another vote here for the custom mouth guard - especially as you've already spent a lot of money on cosmetic dentistry.

7. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

What sort of money do custom mouth yards cost?

8. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey broken nose adds charicter, i havent had straight nose or finger for a long time, is also good reminder not to start fights.

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The one I got from my dentist cost me around £40 a couple of years ago.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't have one, but in another forum people were talking about a while ago.
    And the better prices here were around 200Euros. I'd prefer the £40 ;)

11. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

If you can get a shock Dr. its the way to go.

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Or one wishes to avoid spending a lot of money on cosmetic dentistry.

13. etali

etali New Member

I paid £30 for a custom mouthguard from a company called Gumz that sends out the mold in the post. You roll the two pieces of clay together, stick it in a tray, bite down on it for a few minutes and then wrap up the impression and post it back to them. A week later you get a custom-fit mouthguard in the post.

I opted for the clear one - you can pay extra to get fancy graphics in the design.

Before I bought the custom mouth guard I'd been spending £10 - £15 on boil and bites that were really uncomfortable - some of them were even giving me mouth ulcers because they had a rough seam on them.

The custom one fits great and is so comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it. I can talk properly, breathe easily and drink without it getting in the way. It's the best £30 I've spent on martial arts.

14. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Bodily injuries are ALWAYS a possibility in Martial Arts!!! My advice is accept this or perhaps move onto a more less physical activity? Like running?

15. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

3rd blody nose this month. Of course we prepping for fights in 3 weeks so we are going alot harder than normal. I like shock Dr mouth gaurds as well, but my teeth are already a loss now. I have thousands into keeping them too. :( my wife loves her custom guard. Believe me spend the money on one.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  16. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

Don't let sparring scare you. Taking a pop now and then is no big deal. Do protect your teeth and nads. Everything else will mend.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Not necessarily. Admittedly injuries like detached retinas are fairly rare even among full contact fighters, but I've seen people get their noses broken so many times they've had to stop boxing permanently

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but head guards come with clear plastic faceguards. They're popular on the point fighting circuit.

Attached Files:

19. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

When I was younger, I took TKD and our class would spar every Friday night. We fought medium / heavy contact. I saw people break toes and foot bones because of poor technique. I saw a bloody lip / nose now and then. I broke a floating rib once because I did something stupid and stepped into a kick.

Now days, I'm taking Karate. We wear head gear and only use light contact. I've injured my shoulder and ankle, but nothing serious. I did take a nice side kick to the ribs last time. Again, that was my fault. If you don't spar, your training is worthless. You'll never develop the timing and speed to defend yourself. Also, you'll always be afraid to engage which would paralyze you in the face of a threat. Put on your gear and spar. There is no substitute!

20. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Plus you get to look like a cool future cop.