Will I get bloody nose in shotokan training

Discussion in 'Karate' started by madhushanka, Oct 28, 2014.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

A bloody nose I from a accident in practice is a "badge of honor"

A bloody nose from a deliberate intention is a "badge of dishonor"

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

This^^ At least, not until much higher levels of kumite. I've seen some pretty nasty injuries in that. I once stubbed my toe really bad...that's just because I didn't have proper sparring boots, though.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Gaps in the mats are always waiting for stray toes :)

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

My favourite one is to suddenly and inexplicably slide across the mats in such a way I do a sudden splits and fall over backwards. Happens far too often.

5. Moi

There's a 'video or it didn't happen' phrase knocking around here somewhere?

6. 47MartialMan

Post a video of it with a song :D

7. Moi

At the very least sound effects? <<see?

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Not gonna happen guys, not gonna happen :p

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

At our old gym, they'd put shoe moulding at the end of one row of mats in the MT/Boxing room. Toe would always find it :bang: Far worse than any bloody nose...

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

awww, drat. :( I heard sloths had good humour about themselves and their epic fails. :D

11. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Its actually Sloth's friends who have good humour about his epic fails.

But he did manage to reach one toe, at least :D

[​IMG]

12. 47MartialMan

Will I get bloody nose in shotokan training

If you don't, you are not training hard enough :)

13. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

No. You will look just as good going in as you are going out.

14. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

I walked into a punch from my son last night that might have been close to putting my teeth through my lip. We are both learning and maybe not so controlled as we might become. I winced and swore inwardly for a couple of minutes, but wriggled it out of my jaw and continued - I can still feel it a bit this morning, but it will pass. Since I have no intention of wearing a mouth guard at the moment the incident is down to me - accidents happen. However, as a middle aged lady what I am having to get used to is being dropped onto the mat - at my age, falling down is something that I try to avoid. I have to allow it to happen and in a controlled situation I shouldn't get hurt - esp. when working with the senior grades, but unless I let it happen they can't practise. I have discovered that it requires a certain amount of trust in someone else. This is a good learning process for me. To answer the OP, it wouldn't surprise me one day to get a bloodied nose in karate, but I think it will be an accident when it happens.

15. Moi

Not down to you, also your instructor. You should be wearing a gum shied and you are all negligent. I hope you make your son wear one

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

May I ask why you have no intention of wearing a gumshield?

17. Southpaw535

I've gotten so used to them being compulsory to spar I'm a bit worried there's places that don't make you use one.

18. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

I don't think we were intended to spar and contact each other. I find Gum shields rather awkward and for anything and tend to avoid using them if I can. Perhaps when I get into the full contact side of things they will be a good idea. However, at the moment it appears to be my choice and as such I am fully aware that I cannot hold anyone else responsible if I end up with my teeth through my lip at some point. The same goes for my son. Let's face it where do you draw the line? A gum shield will act in some way to protect your teeth and lips, but 3 inches higher and you could end up with a squashed nose and no-one is suggesting a boxing helmet and nose guard.

19. Southpaw535

Fair enough. For me wearing one is more about the number of times I've gashed my tongue when I didn't wear it, but that was from grappling. Its more the permanence of damage. My nose has been hit a few times but its fine. I have multiple chipped teeth however from random knees and am currently dealing with a fully cracked tooth from an accidental headbutt. Never broken my nose to compare it, but I know the cracked tooth is one of the most painful injuries I've had.

Either way, its not a great argument. I haven't sparred in karate to know, but my experience with striking is getting punched in the general teeth area is far more common than getting a clean hit on the nose. Saying a couple inches higher and its a nose hit so why bother is like saying there's no point wearing a bullet vest if you haven't got a helmet.

20. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Southpaw535 and everyone else, then I'll certainly take using one under good advice received. I already have a gob full of comestic dentistry due to an argument with my face a bicycle and a kerb-edge when I was at school, and yes, it would be rather pricey to replace. They are the most awkward things. If anyone has any suggestions of a type that is easy to wear I'd happily take note. I must admit when I was cursing last night I did run the thought 'would the ouch factor have been as bad if I'd been wearing a gum shield", but I did think that I'd just been unlucky.