Will holding it for as long as I can Help?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kombatmaster777, May 24, 2008.

1. kombatmaster777

kombatmaster777 Valued Member

Whenever I'm doing pushups, pull ups, or any other
    kind of exercise I hit my max and freeze like everyone else
    would, but I'm wondering if it would be beneficial for
    me to hold it
    (whether it is halfway down in push up
    position or halfway up on pullups) or should I
    take a rest then try again.

2. Master Hakki

Master Hakki Valued Member

Yes, it would absolutly benefit your training by holding in each exercise.
    That is one of the principals in Isometrics.

Isometric is when you hold a dynamic exercise in a static position or pressing against an object that can't be moved. (please, correct me if I'm wrong)

I recommend that you look up for isometrics on the internet for more info.

Keep training:D

- HÃ¥kon

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If I were you I'd take a rest and then do another set. Isometrics are more generally used when you can't complete a whole movement or when you hit a 'plateau' in weight training.

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

this is correct.

I've had some good success from isometric holds on pullups with the bar pulled all the way to my collar bones.

I'm not sure about holding the top position in pushups - seems pretty easy to me.

5. Fillythebish

Fillythebish Valued Member

Heres a good one I do, its something I learnt from doing Pilates and Yoga.

1. Hold the pushup position a few inches from the ground for 8 seconds

2. Push with your arms to go up into an upside down V shape /\ with your arms and legs extended as much as possible and your bum up in the air, and head hanging down, hold for 8 seconds.

3. Come back down nose first into the first position, then push up into extended pushup position and lift your left leg and right arm so they are horizontal and in line with your flat back, hold for 8 seconds

4. swap arms and legs so now your right leg and left arm are horizontal and hold for 8 seconds.

5. go back to extended pushup position and now rotate your whole body, including your feet so they are stacked, and one arm is holding you up, and extend the top arm up into the air and hold for 8 seconds

6. Now do the same with the opposite side for 8 seconds, then go back to the first position and repeat until you cant do anymore.

Alternatively you can do the one arm and leg pushup holds on their own, by doing just steps 3 and 4 and just hold each one for as long as you can.

A few good ones I also do are holding pullups so my arms are at right angles, holding my body between two chairs with my legs out straight in front which realy works both the arms, shoulders and abs.

Try holding squats so your legs are at right angles for 60 seconds.