Will dumbbells actually reduce speed?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dragon619, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

We have better methods of doing pretty much everything he did.

2. dragon619

dragon619 Valued Member

Can you teach me?

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Depends, what did you have in mind?

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

He seriously injured his back due to improper training, for one.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

He was small as hell for two.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Just because our heroes did something doesn't make it right for us, or even necessarily a good idea for anyone.

Take Mas Oyama. A pretty muscular guy and a powerful fighter by all accounts.

[​IMG]

One of the workouts he used to do was to bench press a barbell loaded to his body weight. Not a big deal, right? Well, when you consider he would do hundreds of reps with it, it seems a tad excessive doesn't it? There's better ways that we know of now, so there's really no point in repeating said exercise.

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

missed this, great point, plus they lift a hell of a lot of weights.

another point is that shot putters/discus athletes are making a very similar motion to many MA strikes, in a very explosive, fast and powerful way, and guess what; they lift a lot of weights too.

dunno bout you guys but i'd think twice before going toe to toe with ricky bruch...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6EVqSMczXE&feature=related"]The life of Ricky Bruch - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  8. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Important point

All good answers so far yet Ill add one point. If you are going to lift weights and train in martial arts be sure to start a stretching regiment. Stretch before and after lifting weight including upper body stretching and lower body stretching.

9. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

I disagree. Recent studies have shown that stretching before working out will make you slower and weaker, as it has a tendency to cause the muscles to tense rather than relax. In addition, studies have also suggested that people who do not stretch before working out are in no way more likely to be injured than someone who does.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is true for passive stretching, not dynamic stretching though.

11. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

That is total rubbish as well nothing wrong with doing the bench press it is probably one of the best chest developers can't believe people still believe this rubbish. You tell Mike Tyson, Mohammed Ali, Randy couture that the bench press is no good you will get laughed out of the room Tyson was probably one of fastest and most powerful heavyweights there will ever be. And that pic of of Oyama I think most would agree he looks good and i doubt that even 1% of the people who use this forum look like that.
    People who taut lifting weights Is no good and there are better ways now either have a crap body or there living in a state of denial because there to lazy to get themselves in the gym. Trust me i am a bodybuilder/ strength trainer and i have been lifting a long time now.

12. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish just about everyone who has commented on this thread is talking it. Nothing wrong with the way Bruce lee conditioned himself he found what worked for him.

Correct stretching before lifting has no benefit any type that is can't believe how badly informed people are. What you do people is when you do say dumbbell benchpress you start very light do them seated on a bench with the back fixed to just before 90 degrees so you don't do your back in or start cheating. Then first set say 20+ reps so you warm the muscle joint tendons ligaments up that's the whole idea try to think of it as your warming the joint up getting it ready for oncoming punishment. I Like to do a couple at high reps you should start to feel blood heading for your shoulders and nice warm feeling inside (I think that's just me) then you go 16, 12,8, 12, and 16. Like an inverted pyramid pyramid up the weights then down the weight I like to go slightly heavy 8 to 6 reps reps. Don't think about the weight think about the reps leave your ego outside the gym the lower the reps your mainly building strength, university studies have recently found that 12 reps is perfect for building size. But padawans you find what works for you go heavy some days and lighter the next keep the muscle guessing.

Mistake No. One = Getting carried away with how much weight your lifting only lift weights heavy enough so your no sacrificing form.

Think about the reps that's the secret not the weights a bodybuilder along time ago told me that he was in his fifties and he had the body of a 30 year old. And yes he was drug free.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  13. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Now take a deep breath, count to ten, go back and re-read the OP, and realize that what you just posted above has sweet fudge all to do with what this thread was originally about. :rolleyes:

14. dragon619

dragon619 Valued Member

If there are better training methods that has almost everything that bruce lee did, then why is it that there are no people as strong as bruce lee????

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Dude, butt-worshipping Bruce Lee is so last century. :p

16. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

will lifting weights reduce speed no it wont reduce speed how can me posting about lifting weights be nothing to do with the title

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
  17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Many, many people were stronger - and are stronger - than Bruce

18. Hannibal

Because you are posting like a complete asshat

19. Katsu

Katsu Banned Banned

the lad mentioned he wanted information on dumbbell exercises in his first post you want to go and read the title and his first post take it slow and sound out all the big words your not sure about

20. Hannibal

I can see you lasting a really long time around here with that approach

Look, we all have different experiences to bring to the table - which is good. Coming on here and saying " you are all clueless idiots" is not so good

Try working on the medium and the message shines through - posturing like you are makes you look like a standard issue troll