Will a second form of karate be confusing.......

Discussion in 'Karate' started by KarateMum, Jan 25, 2015.

1. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Not for me!! but for my son.

My son has been learning Karate - Wado Ryu with me since the start of last September. His school is now going to offer after class Karate sessions, but it is a different form. He is already doing a lot of sessions and possibly doesn't need any more, but as a general principle would learning a different type of karate be counter-productive to the form he is learning now?

Many thanks

2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

There could be some confusion. If he's learning to do the same things in different ways, I have found that it can be a bit difficult to manage. Ask his wado sensei first though; they will have a better idea of what he can handle - or they might have strong ideas about the whole thing.

In the end I would say there's no harm in trying it out, and leaving it if your son thinks it's not working out.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's probably not a great idea. Different styles tend to do things a bit differently (which is why they're different styles) and keeping them right in your head head is tricky. I used to have trouble managing differences between schools in the same style.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think when it comes to mastering one form of karate it might give him trouble, but I've always been of the opinion that more practice and more diverse practice gives rise to a better fighter. I think that's an unpopular opinion that some folks might disagree with though.

5. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

It can be done, but usually stand up mixes with ground etc. in my case I do boxing and karate. And have no proble. For a very short while I did both tkd and karate. It was very difficult to keep them separate. With enough work it might be o.k. Diversity like raptor said is good.

Really if the same instructor is teaching both styles it worked for him/ he. What is their opinion?