Wide Grip Chin Ups vs. Bent Over Barbell Rows

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jujy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Jujy

Jujy New Member

Guys,
    if you had to incorporate either the chin ups or the barbell rows in your back workouts and could only choose one, which one would you choose and why? Thanks!!

2. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Pull-ups with weight, simply because I like pull-ups more :D Why can't you use both?

3. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Row if you want to grow. But use both for best results.

4. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Assuming the person who asked me this is a newb to lifting. I'd start him off with rows since most newbs can barely manage a pullup

5. gornex

gornex Valued Member

I prefer pull ups

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Chins because I think that people should be proficient in these if they are at all interested in weight training. I also think that the form is much easier. Rows can be pretty dangerous when trying to get a good intensity as beginners often have awful lower back strength and cannot keep good posture.

7. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

Wide grip pull\chin ups any day of the week.

8. Jujy

Jujy New Member

Thanks guys!!

9. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Have to agree with this. Pullups must be a cornerstone of any work out plan. Unless injury prevents. Rows are great but too often I see the worst form being used. Very few people in my gym actually pull their scapula together and get that 'squeeze". There really is no way to mess up a pullup!

10. cxw

cxw Valued Member

A lot of newbs have done very little physically for a long time.

If Jujy has been doing MA for a while, then assuming his training is half decent he can probably managed pullups.

Can't partials be used for newbs who can't do full pull ups?

I assume when you get people doing pull ups you start with palms facing (I call these chin ups, and palms away pull ups).

Anyhow, Jujy do both, but generally do one on workout a and the other on workout b.