wich version of wich band

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by wcrane, May 16, 2015.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I never knew you cared :cool:

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I was a rather camp fifteen year old in '99, so I'll take that as a compliment.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Admitting you're from Brum is like admitting you dated your first cousins.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Bassai

You forgot Musical Youth, Judas Priest and the greatest pop band ever:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3W6yf6c-FA"]Duran Duran - Rio - YouTube[/ame]

Stoke has hardly done anything, but the greatest rock legend ever was born there so I think Stoke wins the competition.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZSAWxwVw5A"]Motorhead - "The Chase Is Better Than The Catch" | Official Audio - YouTube[/ame]

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You're close but not quite , that would be in the deepest Black Country.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Definitely with. I can't even think what the guitar work on King For a Day is like.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Difficult question
    A) Appetite for Destruction is one of the most perfect rock albums of all time, which overshadows the fact that much of Use Your Illusion was pretty poor.
    B) the VR albums seem really badly mixed to me, so the vocals don't come through enough.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

:topic:

In Jackson, Mississippi one time teaching a seminar and at the end, one of the parents asked how England got away with rounding up all the "black people" (he used another, far more offensive word) into one spot.

Confused, I asked him what he meant.

Said he's heard the UK had a black country along with an English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish one. (He thought only English people lived in England, Scots in Scotland, etc.)

9. Ben Gash CLF

Again difficult. Hagar undeniably has a less dynamic voice than Roth, but I actually prefer a lot of the guitar work on the Van Hagar albums. The songs lost a bit of energy but I don't know if that's because of Hagar or because they were transitioning into a mainstream "stadium" act (remember Poundcake was 13 years after Ain't Talkin Bout Love).

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Nightwish - pre or post Tarja Turunen?

11. Bozza Bostik

Post.

Nightwish with Tarja were bloody awful, Nightwish after were bearable....for 5 seconds, when I am driving along flicking through the radio channels because I have left my CDs at home.

But I really hate operatic vocals in rock / metal.

Edit: Didn't know they are on their third singer.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ronnie Radke in Escape the Fate. The new guy is crap.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Post. While I like a bit of symphonic metal old Nightwish were OTT.

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Pink Floyd - Barrett or Gilmour?

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

W/ Tarja hands down.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Nightwish with Annette, I loved some of the songs they churned out and I loved the change in direction they took.

I also hated Tarja's awful diction and drama queen style moments.

But holy hell, the epic ballads...Nightwish with Tarja (even though I didn't like Tarja that much) got me in the feels every time.

I mean...come on!:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plkM5iQ6BvY"]Nightwish - 02 Planet Hell (End of An Era) Live - YouTube[/ame]

Booo this man! BOOOOOOO!

:p

Yup, a lass called Floor Jansen. I can't remember why Annette left the band, but Floor took up the lead.

Honestly, I find them boring to listen to now. Rather than enjoying the tune, I'm sitting there waiting for the song to be over so I can say I've listened to the song:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY"]NIGHTWISH - Élan (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube[/ame]

===========

What about Genesis: Pre or Post Phil Collins lead?

16. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Gilmour no contest. Barrett was interesting, but not in the same league, same ballpark, not really playing the same sport even. Of course I rate Gilmour as one of the GOAT on guitar, so I'm biased

17. Bozza Bostik

I find Nightwish all very contrived though.

But can you blame Jansen for how NW have developed? Or do you find the singer so boring that it just kills everything else about the band? IIRR, and I could be very wrong here, there is one or two of the other members who are basically "Nightwish"...everyone else is just there to play their parts and don't really contribute to the writing etc.

Wooooow....off on a tangent!

It's kinda like Henry Rollins (maybe you know him) in Black Flag. He is often accused of ruining one of the most important and best punk bands from the US. Although I don't like the guy, I don't think it's a fair comment; the founding member and guitarist (Greg Ginn) was basically the man behind the band and made all the decisions regarding the songs and the direction they took - He was a bit of a control freak. Henry Garfield....I mean Rollins....was the new guy in the band so took the blame as people believe it was his influence that caused the band to go from raging nihilistic punk to very, very poor Sabbath clones.

I guess new singers will always take the blame for any chances in sound a band take after they join.

The reason for the change of Nightwish singer is all on Wiki.

Might as well...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  18. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Have we mentioned the Doobie Brothers yet? The original line-up vs. The Michael McDonald years. I believe there was an album or two that had McDonald with Johnson and simmons, but once Tom Johnson left the Doobies essentially became McDonalds back-up band. They made some good music still, it was just different. I like the original best, Listen to the music, Long train runnin'.