wich version of wich band

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by wcrane, May 16, 2015.

1. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Might be fun for debate when bored.
    A few examples:
    Van Halen - David Lee Roth or Sammy Hager
    Black Sabbath - Ozzy or Ronnie James Dio
    Rage Against the Machine or Audioslave ((same group - different singer)
    Creed or Alter Bridge(same group - different singer)

I'll take on Sabbath. Some might call it sacrelige(no pun intended) but I'll take the Dio albums( heaven & Hell, Mob Rules) over the earlier ones. I love Ozzy as much as the next 50 year old ex-pot smoker, and I love the albums, but stuck on a desert island with a choice, give me the Dio Albums.

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

For me, hard to say. First 5 sabbath albums with Ozzy are great. Dio Albums are great too (Dehumanizer maybe less than others). Ozzy as a solo artist had some great albums, as did Dio of course. Tony Iommi of Sabbath did too - a lot of the later Sabbath albums without Ozzy or Dio were really Iommi solo albums, and of course there was the actual solo Iommi album.

So basically Sabbath is sort of like the band Genesis where they are great with one singer, great with another singer, other members of the band are capable of leading their own successful projects as well.

As far as Van Halen, I like the Roth era best, but I like a lot of the stuff Hagar did outside of Van Halen.

So I'll add one to the mix - Deep Purple. Which version of the band is the best? I like Ian Gillian and Richie Blackmore of course, but I think Come Taste the Band is pretty great too - Tommy Bolin is so different from Blackmore, but also so great as well. It's really an entirely different sound at that point - as much Foghat and Johnny Winter as Deep Purple. I would have loved to have heard what Bolin could have done given a few more years or decades. Also I have to admit David Coverdale is great too.

It's interesting that both Ian Gillian and Glen Huges from Deep Purple were in Sabbath too as different points. They are both great singers.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Anything vs something with Dio always loses to Dio.....Ronnie = God

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:hail: Ozzy and Dio both excellent with Sabbath!

But Van Halen vs Van Hagar isn't even close. Van Halen was awesome! Van Hagar was bland and boring. I own all Van Halen albums, but not one single Van Hagar one.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Here is one..........

AC/DC - Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

And what about............

Jefferson Airplane or Jefferson Starship?

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  6. Hannibal

Johnson & Airplane

NWA...Cube or no Cube?

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Backstreet Boys were at their best with the release of Millenium in '99.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Sugababes went through quite a few members. Though the latest combination was the best I think.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Take That. ...Robbie or No Robbie?

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No Robbie, 2005-2009 era (Beautiful World and The Circus albums).

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Not a fan of the most recent line-up (they've been on histus since '11 I think).

The Heidi Range, Keisha Buchanan and Mutya Buena era was their best work.

12. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Good job n taking the idea and running with it guys. As for the AC/DC battle, I'll take the Bonn Scott version. How about Aerosmith on drugs( everything thru "nights in the rut" VS. Aerosmith sober(the MTV era and beyond). I'll go with the first( not promoting drug use, just saying the music was better.)

The Van Halen one is tough for me. There was some great songs from both era's there. I would call that one a draw.

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

What about the Beatles before Revolver and the Beatles after Revolver?

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Cube. Absolutely. I feel they lost a lot of the chemistry after he left and later recordings lacked something. There's some great songs after Cube, but they don't have the same "ooomph!".

I like Cube's early solo work (AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted is incredible) the other guys' stuff is quite hit 'n' miss.

Straight Outta Compton is one of the most menacing songs I have heard. Pure evil. I can't wait to see the NWA film.

What da ya say? Cube or not?

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

No Robbie, every single time.

Also, with Van Halen...David Lee Roth hands down over Sammy Hager.
    I'm torn on the Black Sabbath one though, I like them both.

Guns n' Roses or Velvet Revolver (seeing as Velvet Revolver is basically GnR minus Axel Rose)?

16. Bozza Bostik

Here's one.

Maiden - Di'anno or Dickinson? No contest for me, Di'anno. Dickinson (tee-hee) is a better singer in the technical sense, but I much prefer Di'anno's raw vocals and the band's rougher sound.

I mean this is just awesome rock 'n' roll.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCViwXz7zAM"]Iron Maiden - Prowler [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

This is tacky music for kids. A song about cavemen!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppwIZ0EnXg"]Iron Maiden - Quest For Fire - YouTube[/ame]

17. Bozza Bostik

GnR as long as I don't have to see Axel. Hearing his high pitched whine is ok, seeing the annoying way he moves about isn't.

As for RATM and Audioslave. Neither, Inside Out. ;)

18. Hannibal

No Cube - efiL4zaggiN...especially my favourite "Real --- dont die" is a VERY angry album!

19. Hannibal

Dickinson all the way for me....they are essentially two different bands IMO. 7Th Son is a masterpiece

20. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I'll just remind everyone of Blaze Bailey ............................