why?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by tekkengod, Dec 27, 2004.

1. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Well it's not like nobody has ever died in a boxing ring, or from a direct result of boxing match... and that's with heavily padded gloves, in a controlled envirnment, with rules mind you.

What would you consider a 'Deadly Art' in your infinite wisdom? ... TKD :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  2. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

Now obviously you are a very immature & egotistical young man, have you ever stepped into a boxing ring? I have when I was in the army & I can tell you it is as scary if not scarier than any grading or competition I have taken part in. But of course you know better, stick with it kid!

3. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Of course he wouldn't- that's just silly!!!

That's why he does Tai-Chi
    :Angel: :D :p

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

First time I sparred with my old buddy (ex-middleweight pro boxer) he hit me with ONE body shot - and I thought I was gonna die. If he hadn't been wearing 16oz gloves - I may well have.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Hehehe, I've experianced something similar before as well! But by the sounds of it, not to the extent that you did!

A guy at our boxing club has been doing it for years; he's competed under amature rules for a few times and hits like a mule.

When I first started, i was very new to it all. So im there sparring with him and stuck at a distance (can't get in close because he's one heck of a reach!); so I decide to go for it, make a quick pray to god and try get into distance, but he hit me with a solid shot to the liver.

I just wanted to fall over in a pile lol; I'll never forget the way i felt the fist had come out the other side of me.

6. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

When I was around 20 after 2 years TKD training I went to train one night with my friend who was a Welsh amateur champion,I didn't know where the next punch was coming from!! & as I said earlier I stepped into the ring a few times while in the army, when fighting someone who was not boxing trained it was fun but when i was in with someone who had trained I knew it. Also many of my mates who ended up working on the door's had a boxing background & seemed to do well there which is the real test. Boxers have my respect.

7. YODA

The guy I mentioned above has worked the doors as long as I can remember. He has one very basic MO: Sidestep and hit to the body - one is usually enough. :eek:

8. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

but you could handle him now right?

9. YODA

Well - he is getting on a bit now and not in the shape he was. Same goes for the boxer LOL! He'd be a real handful thats for sure!

10. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

c'mon YODA, everyone knows you're a hell of a tough guy! :eek:

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Boxing SERIOULSY increases your punching power. That's why I train in it (not the rules however) with one of our boxer kungfu people here (the Golden Glove champ that is).

12. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Don't take this personally, but what I'm reading here is :

I've never sparred with a boxer. I neved did boxing.

I would read the same thing no matter who wrote it.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

boxing has one of the highest death rates in professional sports. even higher than skydiving.

14. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

as i siad early boxing is an effective art but i think someone who has trained in some sort of martil art or program (ie MMA, BJJ, or some hardcore Kung Fu training) could hold his or her own against a straight out boxer(no i am not sying it would be easy) just because of the amount of tools a MA practitoner has against the boxer. again if they stepped in a boxing ring it would be a diffrent story.

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It would be a different story if they were to step into a ring with boxing rules. Because of the nature of boxing, boxers train, spar and practise with the boxing ruleset.

16. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

yeah thats what im sayin.

17. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

I was doing a bare knuckle demo at a seminar and I got caught with a liver shot that send waves of pain through my body. I'll never forget how terrible it felt.

18. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i love doing that...