why?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by tekkengod, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Why not spend those extra days going to the gym and lifting some weights?

2. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Shouldn't a boxing trainer cover that? At least the weight lifting he needs.

Though I agree with Yukimushi. You should take a pick between the two, or drop TKD (I'd drop TKD :p). Cross-training full time with all those styles will probably burn you out real quick, and Mauy Thai does seem to cover a lot of boxing from what I've noticed.

3. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

...Not according to his profile (March, 1981... I believe that would make him 23).

None the less true Tai Chi practicioners are not to be taken lightly.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

have fun burning out from doing all that. boxing and muay thai in one day?

5. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking... doing all that for a few months would make many people forget about Martial Arts all together.

6. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

Well it sounds like you have had a little change of heart. Now i myself do not train at a boxing gym ( but i plan to later in my MA carrer). i remember i used to be just like you many years ago i thought oh boxing is a brudish sport and thier are so many ways i would deal with a boxer. well after educating myself by reading alot and talking with other people my thinking changed quite a bit. You see boxing does have very few techniques, but that is the beuty of it becuase it allows you to perfect those techniques to the T. Personally i think it is not that much of the technique that makes boxing affective but the training. constant sparring. It allows you to get very good with your hands. again with thia boxing it is really the training that does it. Now i myself would never want to go toe to toe with a boxer in a ring , but if we were on the street i would use other things such as kicks elbows knees, guntings, and fist breaks to try to even it up, basically i would not play his game. However against a thia boxer i would probably try to use my ground game. but most boxer's and thia boxer's do cross train in other arts. So plain and simply boxing and thia boxing are very good arts, but when coupled with some cross training thier great.

7. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

No I have not sparred with a Tai-Chi master.

Have you?

(I don't want to take this off topic and make it a "how effective is Tai-Chi compared to MMA?")
    :)

8. Florida Warlock

Florida Warlock Banned Banned

Boxing is really good for practicing punching speed and power, punching technique, and for footwork.
    But, boxing has more of a disadvantage than other martial arts because you can just leg sweep and they're dead. But, it can perfect your punching with enough training.

Everyone thinks they can throw a punch. Boxers actually can.

9. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

"You can just leg sweep and their dead".

What Leg sweep is that then??? :confused:

Is it as they placing weight on their front leg- wouldnt that require incredible timing or setup? Has this been done in a NHB event?

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

actually i've seen it happen. {not death} but pretty screwed. i saw it at the gym about a month ago, one threw a punch combo and started weaving and the other guy spent a few seconds tryting to successfully side step him and when he did he threw one of the punches out of the way {literally threw it, hard} and it put the guy off to his left side and BOOM one swift leg movement and his was on the ground.

11. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Some of the best all around fighters I have seen started or trained and fought as boxers. Boxing like kickingboxing (all forms) is a very good base “art” to build with.

12. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Not a master, but an experienced practicioner. Very difficult to hit...

13. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I was not referring to Semphoon.

I'd have to agree with Ikken and MarKaBa... Not giving your body and mind a rest for a few days a week will undoubtly burn you out.

I had experiance with this just a few months ago... it really isn't nice.

I remember being so tired that I just couldn't concentrate. I was always physically and mentally tired. I'd lost enthusiam and just couldn't motivate myself to head to the gym or class.

15. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Ok... he was the one I replied to though...

16. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

But Ikken, that would totally defeat the purpose of talking out of your ass! :cool:

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Come on guys - less dissing people and more discussing views & training methods. Although I feel your pain in tekkengod's case - such an easy target :Angel:

18. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

Boxing is a very deadly art, many martial artists underestimate boxing, I do not. I have known many good boxers & would like them with me if anything kicks off.

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

now i said i'm gonna give it a try but i've certainly never heard it reffered to as a "deadly art" thats going in the big book of quotes.
    and everybody, i'm pretty positive i'm gonna drop TKD to avoid the burn out.

20. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

silly question really...

it's like asking - what good is soccer, isn't it weak - when you could just tackle the guy grab the ball and run it to the goal. its a SPORT.