why?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by tekkengod, Dec 27, 2004.

1. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Well do it then. Although a boxing gym may not be up to the TKD McDojo you train in where you can get a BB in 18months.
    :p

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

boxing+grappling is one of the most common combinations in mma, actually. so obviously it does work. if you feel the need to talk out your ass, do some homework first.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hang on. You're formulating your opinion based on two of your mates sparring?! And how long have either one of them boxed?

4. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

You say yourself that your friend was reluctant to make contact. Besides...its the practitioner thats effective, not the style.

Also, just because someone is a boxer, doesn't mean they can't block a leg kick or grapple. All it means is that they have been trained in boxing, which happend to include effective training practices such as full contact sparring and cardio workout.

Personally, a well trained boxer is the last person I'd want to fight with.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Of course they lose alot; they get taken to the ground and beat there simply because they've no ground experiance; But 99.9% of pro MMA'ist who compete use boxing techniques making it the most widely used striking art when it comes to MMA.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

in reguards to merkaba- jujitsu-1st dan. TKD-yellow belt. and a little Tai-Chi.
    in reguards to semphoon.- i did 3 years at a hard core jujitsu school in leavenworth KS. only reason i'm in the TKD mcdojo is cause i joined with a friend and cause its the only thing close by.

7. semphoon

Man, those TKD guys must not know what hit them when you take their asses down to the ground. Oh wait... :p

And as for those Tai-Chi guys....no takedown defence, terrible ground game, no combinations....I could go on for ages. :p :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yeah, i know, cant take em down, its "not allowed" so i've had to adapt quite abit considering that they've taken away 95% of my tools. and this point sparring thing just burns me to the core. the pinnicale of an arts usefulness is the ability to apply them from any position in any situation {within reason of course} and he isn't letting us exploit that possibilty to better ourselves

10. semphoon

OK, so you did Tai-Chi.

Why? For self-defence?

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i liked the katas, the movements were fluid, i thought that if i could incorperate the deception in the movements into my takedowns i'd have a leg up, also to improve my concentration and relieve a little stress.

12. semphoon

What? How is that gonna save yall ass on da streetz? :D

Yeah, well see how fluid they are when you get taken down to the ground....or in the clinch?

You would have been better drilling your takedowns with resisting opponents in an alive environment.

These are all criticisms that could be levied against Tai-Chi.

I SAY THEM IN JEST. I understand that you did not do Tai-Chi for self-defence or to participate in MMA. Please understand that about other MAs.

I find it funny when MMA guys (of which I am one) come and say "what good is that when you are on your back?" People do MAs for different reasons not just to be an "ultimate" fighter.

You like the flowing movements of Tai-Chi? Good.

And for the record boxing is one of the most effective striking arts (along with thai) that MMA fighters use to fill that 1/3 of the MMA pie.

Must ... resist... the urge... :p :love:

13. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Kata's? KATA'S?!?!?! Tai Chi doesnt have KATA'S!! ARGH!! :bang: :bang:

Forms, young man, Forms. Say it with me, "Forms".

14. GCS15

GCS15 New Member

Sematics

Downsized or sacked

Collateral damage or unarmed and untrained civillians killed trained well armed military personell

Pointless post. Say it with me pointless.

15. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Uh... something tells me you've never sparred with a Tai-Chi master.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

For the record, that's just one of several reasons why nobody agrees with you.

Stuart

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Of course he hasn't, He is only 14.

I completely agree with you TekkenGod; pit a boxer against a grappler (in an mma compition) and the chances of him winning are slim.

But if you claim yourself to be a MMA guy; I get confused as to why you can not understand that MMA is about taking effective techniques from other arts, and using them for yourself... to make you a much more rounded fighter.

In MMA, it is important to have a good understanding and set of techniques to cover the 3 distances of combat (those being striking, clinch and grappling).

Most MMA's have such arts as Thai boxing or Greco Roman for clinch work, and Brazilian Jujitsu, Jujitsu or Judo for their ground game. And what do they do for their striking? Boxing or Thai boxing; 2 striking arts which are host to very direct techniques designed on hurting the other guy before he hurts you.

What your doing is your dismissing the usefulness of boxing, simply because you claim to have defeated a boxer (who trains for soley for boxing compititions) with a takedown, grappling or a leg kick.

You've got to realise that the boxer undoubtly trains for boxing fights, meaning he has no need to learn grappling, and clinch.

It might not apply to a Martial artist who enters MMA compititions; but it sure as hell applies to a boxer entering a boxing compitition who has to follow the rules of boxing.

I make the assumption that when you train for a Tae Kwon Do compitition ( a stand up compitition); you train hard at your ground game in preperation for the compitition? :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

oh yes, of course i spend hours perfecting arm triangles and kneebars for that TKD comp. :D
    ok, point made, thankyou all. ANNOUNCEMENT, yes, i found a boxing gym about 10 mins from my TKD dojo and a Muay Thai place about 2 miles form my house. so i'm gonna do all three, (considering dropping the TKD classes}
    so there you have it, i'm off to the boxing gym on the 1st. boxing will be saturday and sunday. TKD monday.wendsday. friday. and Muay Thai will be sunday. tuesday thursday. lots of work to do. and hopefully i'll learn alot and maybe my views will change. we'll see.

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

If you are currently doing Muay Thai; is there much of a point in doing Boxing? After all, Muay Thai has adapted boxing techniques to coincide with the use of kicks...

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

just for a little extra training and to give me something to do on the off days