Why you should hydrate and eat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ero-Sennin, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot of people who work out, or are even active all day seem to look past the fact that they need to hydrate, especially in hot climates. It cannot be stressed enough that your body needs water to function. So, I am going to share my story of when I did not hydrate enough, worked way too hard, and neglected the basic needs for your body to function, in attempt to help you to remember to bring that water bottle to work, and keep refilling it.

Alright, the story starts this past summer, in Florida, where it is extremely hot! I was hanging sheetrock for eight hours a day and then going to the weight room at school to workout for football. I wasn't getting the proper nutrition, and definately not getting enough water for the type of work I was doing. If any of you have hung sheetrock before, you know how hard it is. Now, imagine hanging an entire house, about 250 12 foot sheets a day on a crew that kicks ass. The day started off just fine, but I had the new guy working with me and I had to carry him and get most of the work done myself. I started sweating like a madman, I even shorted out the power tools five or six times because of it. Although I could see I was sweating a pool of sweat, I still did not drink enough water. ( Yes, I'm stupid ). Now, here's where the fun stuff happens.

I started getting really weak, feeling hot and heavy and I was having a hard time moving my body. After about an hour of this I couldn't lift my power tools up to put a screw in the board, and was almost collapsing from exaustion, but I still felt I could work you know, being the dumbass that I was : D. So we took a break for lunch and my stone hearted boss told me I would be ok, to drink some water, and stay there for the afternoon with some of the guys whilst he went and did some other work with the other guys. So we went to lunch and I felt horrible. I drank about a gallon of liquid and some chips.

When we started to work again I couldn't get up, my legs were cramping up too much. I had to stay sitting. Then I started feeling violently ill, and started slinging my head around like a wild animal because of the pain coursing through my body. Then I threw up a puddle, yes, a puddle of puke. Now, one would have liked to move away from a puddle of vile smelling vomit, but you can't, not when you're entire body, all at one time just decides to start cramping up. I was in excruciating pain for at least two hours, smelling my own vomit, and unable to move because my body was one big knot of cramping muscles. Also, if that wasn't bad enough, my body was squeezing out the water it did not have like a towel being rung. So I was hot, sweating, in excruciating pain due to the cramping ( we're talking about those types of cramps where you want to cut of you're leg and are crying because they are so bad . . . . but I didn't cry : D, lol. ) and had to smell my own vomit before I could muster up the strength to put a piece of sheetrock over it. For two hours this went on, I tell you now, I was praying to god to take my life right then and there because well, it sucked, really bad.

Now, I know that it is around winter time and most people don't have to worry about the heat, but stuff that is along the same lines as this story can happen to you if you are dehydrated and don't have enough nutrients within your body. So eat! Drink! And eat and drink some more! Trust me, this is an experience you do NOT want to have.

2. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Heat exhaustion/heat stroke is very dangerous. Something you have to be more aware of in Florida than in most other states. You probably should've called an ambulance once you reaced the "excruciating pain and vomiting part";). Anyways..

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Too many martial arts places will go through a 2 hour plus lesson without one drink!!!

Another old school training method...

4. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

i fell under that catagory 3 times a week last year

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

When I started at the gym I trained in the same way, I was used to training without water :rolleyes:

But now I have loads to drink when there for a couple of hours and feel better for it. Must be getting better results to!

6. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

yeah, i spend half the day in the bathroom urinating now :D

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

My colleagues think I have a bladder problem, only problem with drinking pint after pint of water :eek:

8. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

In boxing, in the majority of brain damage caused by collisions to the head, lack of water is one of the biggest factors. I take a bottle of water with me when I train, my brain is one of my favourite bits of me.

9. Desired Effect

Desired Effect New Member

it is said that you shouldn't gulp down your water, you should sip in small amounts every so often giving the body a chance to absorb what it needs, if you drink to fast the body just wants to get it back out again quick, i had that problem of going to loo too many times, and that morning one where you just wanna stay in bed but its herting your bladder.

10. Nah, I'm not too keen on my brain ;)

Seriously, folks, the guy summed it up when he said "So eat! Drink! And eat and drink some more!" :)

11. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

what about duck hunt norm?

12. I always have a bottle of water at my side when I'm shooting t3h duck5! :)

13. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

lol :D

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Agreed, very overated IMO

Theres enough forums like this that prove its not needed ;)

** edit my 4,000 th'd post and as always packed with valuable knowlege and info! :D **

15. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I live in a cool place, I am a small person (roughly 120 pounds,) and I do not sweat a lot. I only drink 2-3 liters of water a day. Is this enough?

16. JokerFMJ

JokerFMJ Valued Member

I used to not sweat a lot at all, even living in Phoenix, AZ. Everyone else would be pouring and I might have a light shine of sweat on my skin. So I upped my water intake and started sweating more... I noticed I felt better than I was before I upped the water intake.

So if you don't sweat a lot, I say you need to drink more water.

17. Giver

Giver New Member

Oh wow...that's an awesome story. That makes me want to go drink a bunch of water. Very nice. I'll definitely try to stay hydrated more.

18. You sayin' I'm tihck? :rolleyes:

19. Jukai

Jukai New Member

Drink lots of water, yes--but also it is better to drink room temperature water. Your body spends too much energy warming up the water for proper absorption when you drink ice water. Your body hence sends blood flow to your intestines and your brain/muscles get deprived!

Cyndi

20. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

^LOL. No.