"Why You Do Like That?" Weights, Martials and 'The Healthy'

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by SoKKlab, Apr 27, 2013.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Thursday 9th May 2013 (AM):

Gripper 250 lbs

x 5 and Hold Squeeze for 10 secs
    x 4 Repeat

My maximal strength has not returned yet. So I didn't bother trying to close the 350 lb gripper (I think I will only be able to do this fortnightly?).

Old-time Strongmen like Sandow, Saxon etc used a simple test to suss out whether their Maximal Strength (Maximum Force for a Peak Moment) had returned. A Crush Grip of some description.

If you think about it due to 'hyperirradiation' - the recruitment of maximum muscle in a maximum strength exertion - The grip factor is an efficient way to test your capacity to tap your max strength.

I take a 440 ml can of 'Nurishment/ Nutriment' (An enriched 'Ideal' Milk drink). And after consuming the contents...I crush it with a FINGERTIPS and THUMBS crush grip (both hands in a 'throttling' motion).

When my maximal strength is back to normal I can do this easily. If I fail to crush it flat as per normal I know I'm not strong enough to go back to the gym and exert maximum force.

And as my main thing is to tap or exert max strength. Essentially Progressive Resistance through some kind of step 'cycle' (sounds really sci-fi doesn't it?)...then I sometimes need to use my minimal commonsense to get some kind of balance.

Talking about commonsense - Rotator Cuff Bands:

90 Degree Elbow, Thumbs Up etc.

My back is still jipping me (Better than it has been - And my constant reminder as to what an idiot I am sometimes).

So then I did some basic:

Leg Swinging, Cobra stretches, Then 'Hockey Goalie' (great for Hip Flexors and Surrounds), Squat Stretches, Teacups (Rotator Cuffs won't let me go all the way with these).

Enjoying these 'mini-workouts' in the AM.

Then walked to the station bestest for my commute (1 and 1/2 miles).

Will check out the new gym this eve to see how busy it is at around 7 to 8ish.

2. SoKKlab

Friday 10th May 2013

Today saw me mostly working on my dropstep and shiftstep (old-style boxing). My mate who I sometimes train bareknuckle boxing with was running late sooo...

I did some padwork. How do you do padwork by yourself?

Well with a pair of focus mitts you can do at least 6 or 7 elbow strikes:

Sok Sab (Diagonal upwards elbow fro the Tha Kru - Muay Chiaya guard)
    Sok Tad (Horizontal 'hook' elbow - Making sure you get ellipitical shoulder rotation)

Sok Gnad or Hud (Rising Elbow)
    Sok Ti (Downwards 'Frontcrawl' Elbow)

Sok Tong (Downwards Elbow Smash - The bigger one is like pulling an old-style bogchain - The shorter one is like cranking a handle)

And the one I cannot remember the name of - essentially a forward strike with the 'L' of the elbow. A straight jut from a high guard.

Kneeing - The only knee you can do with focus mitts on is the rising 45 degree knee. Multiple sets of these. Sounds weird but you can get some good striking practice with heft by yourself.

Also punching practice (gotta take one focus mitt off for these) hooks, uppercuts, ohands, chopper, hammerfist, soft iron palm (wuuutaaah).

Squat stretch, hockey goalies, teacups etc. My mate couldn't make it. So good job I got on with it. About 35 minutes in total.

Looking forward to the gym weight sesh tomorrow.

3. SoKKlab

Saturday 11th May 2013

Today's gym session was messy but fun. And is part of the myriad reasons I like to lift etc hefty things and do all sort of manliness. Didn't seem like much done...But I really feel it now.

Bear in mind I'm not training to failure on either reps or sets. And so I could do more. But as I'm not a Bodybuilder there's no need.

Legs plus (normally I wouldn't do these 3 lifts together but needs must):

Squats (Working lighter and getting absolute best form as I can):

60 kgs x 10
    80 kgs x 9
    110 kgs x 7
    150 kgs x 6
    180 kgs x 4

I decided to stop at 5 sets. Sensibleness. My back was a tad twingey. And so I didn't want to go too heavy. But better than before. I'd put it at 77.5%...

Standing OHP (Or as I'm calling it The OAP :hat:

40 kgs x 10
    50 kgs x 8
    60 kgs x 7
    75 kgs x 6
    90 kgs x 3

Concentrating on strict form. No back-bending or Flying Bench Presses!

Single Leg Leg Press - I decided on Single Leg at a time only. These are harder than doing half of a double-leg. Great for really Power 'Push' Kicks.

160 kgs x 10
    200 kgs x 8
    230 kgs x 8
    260 kgs x 6 (getting really tough here)
    280 kgs x 4 (seeing stars)

Single Leg Static Contraction - Press weight off the Locks. Keep Safeties on. Lower to a 20% bend and hold for 5 measly seconds - What could be easier?

360 kgs x 5 seconds (each leg) - CNS Frazzled

After doing wimpy Leg Presses ("can't you do something more manly like...curls" ;p) and a few bar hangs I decided to go into coaching mode.

Showed how to do a more efficient Front Squat to a guy I chatted to a few times before. Turns out he's doing a programme written by the guy who runs the gym I used to goto back in west Wales. More of a bodybuilding thing. And the coach is solid and has sculpted a few champions.

Roman Chair Hyperflex

100 lbs x 10 + 10 second static hold

5 minutes on the speedball, then floor-to-ceiling ball.

Then Bagwork - Roundhouses (I will get that 110 lb bag to the ceiling yet, 2/3rds of the way there)

Kuching Roundhouses from the floor, fast steamroller punches and motion - I don't wear any hand wraps etc so wrist and fist integrity is really important.

Some knees - Really shook the room with these. Max power!

Finally a nice surprise my mate Mark (who now does mostly Systema, really good boxer, jujitsuka too) came in at the end and we did a bit of upper body padwork including fist and arm blows.

Then some elbows whilst he tried to tag me back. Mostly hand and elbow combinations including Sok Tad (horizontal cutting elbow), Sok Ti (really big hit, Ti means 'hit' in Thai 'Front Crawl style) and Sok Sab (diagonal upwards elbow.

Plus a few old-style boxing 'jams' including the elbow-up salute (same as salakhaang or tad mala out of the thai systems, not a passive 'Talk on the telephone' stop but an aggressive forward drive for knockout and fist breaking).

And the 90 degree 'L' stop/ jam. Again forward solid stop/ destruction. And (my bestest) the Leverage Block. Which is a really strong stop against any Overhand punch. Great.

All these are really painful and potentially highly-destructive to the pad holder. Train with care.

Also working the double-arm 'Click Block' (ala D. Mendoza). Again a really aggressive forward driving hand-destroyer.

Worked the dropstep and shiftstep again on the bag and (unfortunately for Mark's arms) the pads - these add a lot of power to the basic punches.

Cheap Sweaty Fun.

Off to see a couple of other Marts classes this week.

4. SoKKlab

Firstly I didn't go to Silat last night. I'm going to need to define my purpose with regards to this practice.

I originally wanted to do Silat because it's 'blade aware'. So all motions are designed with a blade being present. So far so good.

But! I don't like the way we train. It's more gymnastics than fighting. And there's little meaningful resistance-feedback.

As my background is mostly in Muay Thai and other Thai Arts and Boxing with a bit of MMA etc mixed in...I'm used to training with at least some resistance.

I'm either going to accept it for what it is. Or grant it the elbow.

I'm looking for a quality Muay class to goto at the mo. One that teaches proper Mae Mai and Luk Mai (the major and minor 'tricks' - these show the main principles and concepts of Thai Martial Arts properly. Without which Muay Thai just becomes K1 style kickboxing)

My weights sesh on Saturday really fried me. So I only did some grip work and some stretching on Monday 13th May.

Gripper 250 lbs

x 3 with a static 5 second hold/close

Cobra and other Yoga like stretches
    Superman
    Squat Stetches
    Hockey Goalie
    Bridge (no press)

I managed to do a full bridge for the first time in at least 2 weeks. My back is about 79.7 % at present.

Today Wednesday 15th May 2013

Rotator Cuff Bands (Shoulders feel pretty good at the mo)
    Thumbs Up
    45 degree

Flat footed Mountain Climbers (still my choicest)
    x 30 (fast) 30 secs rest
    x 25 (faster) 30 secs rest
    x 25 (knackered)

Farmer Burns Breathing ex - Been doing this to get rid of the beginnings of a Powerlifting Belly. Really great Core Ex

Harimau - Front Drop from Horse into a Spiderman style push up with one leg cocked (pee on a lamppost style) and the kick back and up and push away from the ground fast.

x 7 each side (30 secs rest)
    x 6 (coupla minutes rest)
    x 6 and hold the bottom position on both sides for 25 secs each

Some Cable Resistance with the Powerpushup:

Including 3 sets of

Side Shoulder Press, Chest Expander Press, Punch Press

Simple short and useful training took 25 mins max

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

where abouts in london are you?

6. SoKKlab

Harrow. So anywhere this end and across to NW10 etc is fine for me.

Why? You got some secret sauce?

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Now imagine MAP is a dating site community . . . . . .

:eek: :p

8. SoKKlab

Oh gosh. That's not something I want in my mind you numpty!

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Baby oil is a MUST if you guys work out together. You can rub each-other down so when you work out, you can really see the emphasis on the mind-muscle connection during stiff legged deadlifts and bent over rows . . . .

Ok, I'll stop trolling your training log now :p

10. SoKKlab

Saturday 18th May 2013
    Saw me in the gym from 2pmish to 4pm. Legs plus session.

Thorough warmup in each time now. More thorougher than I used to. A good 10 minutes shoulder dislocating, deep knee bending, squat stretching, leg flickyflacking and teacupping.

I stop from going beyond 10 reps a set. I find higher than 10 produces excess lactic acid. So purposefully I don't do that.

My rotator cuffs were griefing me on the first couple of sets of

Squats:

Always full atg. No straps, belts, chain mail panties, adult babygrows etc. Lots of pauses and retightening. Some slow, some quicker. Concentrating on really strict form. And proper breath control - Keeping the core tight and squeezing grip guts ****.

Twanging my back has allowed me to reassess what I was doing. And why. And me to start a new cycle of dropping the weight down and coming back up and through past lift totals.

60 kg x 10
    100 kg x 9
    130 kg x 8
    150 kg x 6
    180 kg x 4
    185 kg x 3

My back was at 80 %. Felt pretty good throughout. 6 sets was enough though.

Good Mornings:

40 kg x 10
    60 kg x 9
    80 kg x 7

Strewth! That'll do! Didn't feel the need to do any heftier Good Mornings. And want to make sure my back feels the benefit and not the strain...

I wanted to do some Deads. But! All the barbells had occupiers (again!). And I didn't want to hog the squat rack for any longer :Angel:

Bench Press:

Okay a couple of years since I last Benched. I just wanted to see if I felt I could get any benefit out of it? More powerlifting style than BB style.

BP

60 kg x 10
    80 kg x 9
    100 kg x 8
    130 kg x 5
    150 kg x 3
    180 kg x 2

My form was awful. I didn't go any higher poundage as I had no spotter. The jury is still out on whether Benching does any good for me as a martialist? I really prefer weighted dips, clap push ups and using my powerpush up. But we'll see. It's all experimentation towards reaching specific goals anyway.

After all that exertion I thought I'd get a nice sit down...

Seated Calf Raise:

30 kg x 30 plus a Deep 20 second stretch at the bottom and a hold of about 15 seconds.

40 kg x 20 and repeat the stretch and hold

80 kg x 25 plus repeat stretch and hold

Experimenting with stress on my lower legs. Really this is the only time I use more Bodybuilding parameters. The heel stretch with all the weight on it seems to work a treat. Okay the motion is an isolation. But it really helps with lower leg stability.

Ab Stack Crunch:

140 kg x 14 plus 14 second hold
    160 kg x 12 plus 10 sec hold

Not done those for ages. Maxed out the booster. So need to start adding dumbells to the stack if I want to go as hefty I was before.

Some bagwork - near continuous roundhouses, some Kuching rdhouses from the floor, steamroller style punching, some knee. Floor-to-ceiling ball bit of ducking and shucking. Speedball. Squat stretches etc to finish.

Great fun.

Sunday dug ditches and sorted out my friend's mam's garden. Good recouping.

11. SoKKlab

Chocolate Milk for the Win

Tuesday 21st May 2013

So last week I had a strop and didn't go to Silat. I felt really peeved at myself for that...So now I decided to 'give myself over to the process'. And enjoy it for what it is.

This involves treating it differently to MMA, Muay Thai etc. And just going along for the ride and seeing where it takes me.

And so last night's sessions was exhausting and fun. And today I can't walk very well. Why? Well firstly the conditioning was as always - heavy.

We did loads of up-down-side-to-side continuous squatting type motions. All moving from Besam (a side-to-side low and getting lower stance).

Into Kuching ('Cat') which is a kicking, sweeping, dropping motion. And then 'kicking through' just above the ground in and out of Tuklao (bit like the beginning phase of a Turkish Get Up).

15 minutes of that combined with doing a 'helicopter-style' roundhouses - going up and over in a circle - from the Kuching and my hips and shoulders were protesting something chronic.

And then we did some resisted isometric-isotonic type movements.

The first being a leg wrestle standing facing each other on one leg.

Grapevine (from outside in) each other's leg and pull it whilst your partner resists (I really feel it now today). And they say Hamstring Curls are no use!

Then you stand in a horsestance. They jump on you. Their front leg's shin across your thigh. Their rear leg wrapped around you trunk squeezing. Idea being they hold themselves up whilst squeezing with their legs. Much harder than it sounds.

Then you lie on your back in a 'turtle' - Your head is up. Your heels are touching, feet spread. Knees and elbows touching in a 'crunch' style motion. Arms crossed in front of your face.

Your partner gets on top of you and you hold them up. For 30 seconds. Again sounds really easy doesn't it? Try it for yourself!

Then we did Blade vs Blade work. Starting from a simple like-for-like stab cut stab combination.

Downwards Icepick stab to the centreline with your right hand. Slap their lead right shoulder with your left to move them into cut with your right (across throat). Then step back into an 'L' step and downward stab with an overhand ice pick stab.

And we built from there. Took me ages to suss out that when intercepting the next bit - a straight stab to the neck and face - that the 'teacup' parry (lifting the incoming arm with your palm) was followed by a 'roof block with the knife arm - and NOT an intercepting cut.

So a gunting (destruction) followed by a cut to the wrist and then a powerslash to the bicep.

After that we combined this sequence with a garuda (eagle arm - like a wrestling clothesline/ swinging arm) and pivoting around the lead leg and a beset (front to back sweep).

At the end of the class we repeated a 5 count sequence of Bladework.

Using one breath for the entire 5 count. For 10 minutes. This became absolutely hypnotic. And the focus built intensity. So much so that I didn't want to stop.

Great fun.

This week and through the next couple I'll be checking out some local Muay Thai classes and other martial arts groups.

Training only one Silat class per week I find it difficult - even when I practice at home - to remember what I'm doing sometimes.

And so I'm looking to train in something else that'll not interfere - Or not compromise too much - my 'flow' (laughs at self for even suggesting he has 'flow').

I'll do a bit of stretching etc this eve and thursday. And I'm really looking forward to going to the gym this coming Saturday. As I'm planning on doing some really heavy Deadlifts. Even if I have to fight tooth and nail to get a barbell!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  12. SoKKlab

Minimal Grip Maximal Lip

Wednesday 22nd May 2013

If you pay any attention to my witterings you'll see me occasionally mention the old time strongmen like Saxon, Sandow, Inch and Goerner? And how they had a great way of seeing whether their maximal strength had fully returned?

The finger tip crush grip (Tigerclaw!).

I use this as a gauge of whether my maximal strength has returned. Try it. It's a really great indicator.

I take a 400ml 'dog food style' can of 'Nurishment' (an 'ideal' milk type drink)...Just thought you won't know what 'Ideal Milk' is (probably a Welsh thing as it was the brand of condensed milk most popular amongst us lot).

Anyway throttle crush the empty can with your fingers and thumbs (both hands). Normally crushing it flat is no problem. If my maximal strength isn't there, then I can only 2/3rds crush it. As like now.

This means I'm not fully strength-mended. And so not tried to crush the 350lb gripper since a few weeks ago.

But! The 250lb gripper is an easier close than before.

Gripper 250lbs

x 4 (with a static hold/ fully crushed for 5 secs)
    x 3 (ditto)

Squat stretch, hockey goalie (great for your C band), cobra, superman (checking if my back is okay), bridging

Silat practice from Besam. Getting the Gelek (twisting) of the waist right whilst alternating diagonal elbows.

5 minute 'beat the tar out of' drill:

Got a friend to try to beat the tar out of me with focus mitts on. Working on maintaining a Silat structure whilst getting hammered. Works most of the time. Although I do end up doing more Muay Chiaya than anything else.

So will be getting a Captains O Crush 3 (288 lbs), 3.5 (322lbs) and a 4 (368lbs) in June. I already possess 250lb and 350lb Crush Grips. But Ironmind's is the standard so let's get some of them...

My goal is to be able to close the Captains O Crush Number 4 Gripper (the max) by Sat March 15th 2014. Allegedly only 60 something folk did this so far. And you get a nice certificate. I'll doa UChube

I figure I'll need to build up slowly to this. As training really hefty grip work tends to wreck you. And works all your muskles really hard.

Legs still wrecked from Tuesday night's Silat as I type this on Thursday AM.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  13. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Hi SoKKlab,

I always enjoy your log (TRAINING log, that is!), and it sounds like you're an absolute beast ((size + strength + grip) x Silat), good efforts with your lifting, cardio and grip work.

Don't worry too much about striving for flow within your Silat, it'll come with time, and it's almost impossible to 'force' it as relaxation is one of the keys.
    Also, your Silat club sounds great - conditioning, partner drills, and resistance... If only you could train there more often! Is it that there is only one class per week, or are you only able to make it to one of the classes each week?

As for other martial arts to supplement Silat, Muay Thai is always a good bet, although if you can find a good freestyle wrestling club you might find that a good crossover with Silat entries/takedowns (or do both MT and wrestling if you can!).

Personally, I found that MT and wrestling not only really helped my Kali empty hand (obviously), but massively improved my positioning and structure when clinching/struggling with a weapon. It's not that those elements aren't within Kali (or Silat), but that training them in an environment that isolates those elements within a combat sport framework really helped develop those attributes of my overall game.

If you spot all the MA buzzwords, then you win a prize...

Cheers,
    Harry

14. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Those Nurishment tins are solid. Pretty sure I can stand on an empty one without making a dent in it

15. SoKKlab

To put it into some perspective...Up until recently my Dad could crush one with one hand...Swings sledgehammers a lot.

And he''s 80 and recently had a heart attack!

Oh and my Auntie Mavis can still snap cooking apples with a turn of her wrists...And she's 82!

Don't mess with Welsh Pensioners...

Honestly Princess the fingertip grip crush is a great way of monitoring your strength. Try it out.

I remember my Grandad was a metalworker. And it was one of their ways to use and build their grip strength. That and anvil lifting.

How's your lifting and training going? You've not updated your log for a while. Hope all's going great.

16. SoKKlab

Hi Harry
    Thanks for your kind comments. Lol Beastly maybe. But not quite a beast yet! I reduced my size throughout the last coupla years. As it was getting ridiculous. In 2010 I was an XXXXL...And found it difficult to scratch my...errr...back.

Now I keep the reps and sets down and also the training frequency. And mostly look for muscle density ('Myofibrillar' Sarcomere not Sarcoplasm: Dense muscle fibres and not fluid plus capillaries). And more in the way of 'functional strength'.

Yes you're right. It's just practice that'll allow me to get better. I tend to demand too much of myself. Felt a bit of a breakthrough this week.

Really I just need to be like an actor. Just remember your lines and try not to bump into the furniture!

Yes it is a 'good un'. It took me a while to get my head around the way we train. The conditioning is challenging. But now I'm starting to feel how it 'scuushes' your motion. How it helps you do Silat better.

My background is mostly in Muay Thai (since 1990) and Old-Style Boxing (Bare-Knuckle with wrestling component).And some MMA etc. So I'm used to training with a lot more resistance and feedback. And doing a lot of padwork etc.

We do some padwork in Silat. But it's mostly 'conditioning-style' pads without much 'get hit back' (which is a real must to keep you grounded I feel).

There's only one Silat class a week.

I could go train in another style of Silat near me. I did train there for a while before. But the confusion would be too much.

Hence me thinking about what art will fit with our system of Silat (which is a mix of Cikalong, Harimau, Buaya, Kuching, Cimande etc).

The 'problem' I guess is that all the grappling systems near me whilst great fun and good training - BJJ, Submission Wrestling - contain zero tactical awareness.

And the reason I started doing Silat to begin with was because it's a natural extension to my training in Thai Martial Arts (Muay Thai, Muay Chiaya, Ling Lom etc). And to be training in something 'blade aware'.

So I'm reluctant to train in something that's 'diametrically opposed' - Mostly because of the 'you fight as you train' idea.

The only things that puts me off starting back in Muay Thai again is A) The ringsport is not 'blade aware' so I don't really want to get into 'bad habits' when it comes to clinchwork.

As in Tactical clinch compared to 'Sport' clinch. As the Muay Chiaya teachers say 'Clinch as last resort only and only to change position'...

I hear you. And it's a definite consideration.

Most of the Muay around me is excellent but totally Ring Rules focused (not what I want). Or mutated K1-style kickboxing.

I'm sure you know this already...And just for the choir...In order for something to be authentic Muay Thai they must teach the Mae Mai and the Luk Mai (Major and Minor 'Tricks'). These are bedrock of Thai Martial Arts. And contain the Key Core Concepts and Principles.

My other alternate is I start running a Thai Martial Arts Training Group again. I'm seriously considering this. As a lot of folk training in Muay Thai actually want to learn concepts from Ling Lom, Muay Chiaya, Muay Korat etc (old style Muay, sometimes called 'Muay Boran' = Boran means 'home' or 'old')

Hohum. I shall keep on keeping on. And the solution will pop into my feeble brain...

Nah I'm rubbish at puzzles :)

17. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm on a deload week, not that I lift a lot :) Monday was Squat day so did 5 x 5 at 65kg then singles upto 87.5kg. Today was my missed Wednesday Overhead Press/Deadlift day, which I did after Judo, with 3 x 10 at 30kg then singles upto 42.5kg. Both not easy but not to failure, I could have done more. Deadlift for triple at 105kg keeping double overhand grip, which was pleased with. Wide Snatch style Shrugs with 60kg

Been upping my number of (slightly wide, pronated) Pullups with 22 tonight (5/5/4/4/4) after Judo and Overhead Press. My shoulders are feeling I did some work today. I had a frustrating Newaza session as the doors were open and the mat too cold for Randori, I got a foot cramp at the end of my last pair up, fairly embarrassing, and couldn't give a proper contest, which you can't really afford when facing a blackbelt, or even someone your grade who you usually can pummel into the mat.

18. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Bro that is a totally brutal routine, wow, I thought I spent a lot of time training, I think your overdoing it unless you really want to compete or your a cop, that's my opnion.

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

he's still making gains and is damn strong.
    he's been training for a few years and can handle the work load...
    what's your training schedule like?

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, I've just started following your log as I am curious about your silat experience....all very interesting.

But, where did you learn the old Thai arts (Ling Lom, Muay Chiaya, Muay Korat)?

I'd love to have a look at some of those systems or krabi krabong but there's nothing like that in the country as far as I know.