"Why You Do Like That?" Weights, Martials and 'The Healthy'

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by SoKKlab, Apr 27, 2013.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hi Harry
    Short answer:

I stopped doing it because the sheer reps and sets was killing me.

In that I was sore for a week afterwards. No matter how much foam rollering, stretching etc I did.

Since modified it to be the first 4 warmup sets (descending reppage increasing poundage 25, 35, 45, 55% of 1 rm for 8, 7, 6, 5)

Then 4 or 5 work sets for 3,2,2,2,2 at about 65% of 1rm

Add a rep to make a gain.

The back off is now - instead of the 6 mass sets and one pump set - Just three enjoyable and fun sets of jump squats with 25% of my 1 rm.

Good Luck

2. SoKKlab

Martial AND Self-Defence Dilemmas

So my dilemmas this year Martially speaking are:

Do I continue to do martial arts systems that only has about 25% use for 'self-defence'.

Or do I do a more combat-orientated system that whittles all down to the bare bones?

My needs (as based on my ongoing sussing out) are:

- Train as if a Blade is present at all times (don't want to get stabbed again)

Whilst I'm NOT in a jackarsed life, my main preoccup is stabbery.

- Techniques should be the same regardless of whether fist or blade etc is present

- Takes into account the effect of adrenaline on you and your ability under duress (Most martial arts techniques falls apart under the tremblies)

- Meaningful Resistance and Feedback in training beyond static drills

Years of Muay Thai, Boxing and MMA has meant I find it difficult to keep training IF I feel I'm learning an abstraction

- Should be able to capitalise on my existing skills (stop laughing at the back!)

Which are:

1) Hits like a train (ewww get you!)

2) Decent enough ability (ha!)

3) Reasonably quick learner (apart from when I'm being a thickey)

4) Understands Leverage Principles and can apply them ("I Must Break You!")

5) Understands quickly the Key Core Principles of a System (Experience)

The thing I really like about most of the Silat systems practiced by me past and present is the phenomenal principles behind them.

The thing I don't like is the way they train - Not enough Resistance.

Silat then is great IF I've got at least 5 years to become good at it (too slow for my liking).

So what fits the criteria I listed?:

- Train as if a Blade is present at all times (don't want to get stabbed again)

Main preoccup is stabbery.

Silat, Filipino Escrima-Arnis-Kalidoodads (but are they "realistic")

- Takes into account the effect of adrenaline on you and your ability under duress

Silat is mostly Gross Motor Skills in it's application. Just that learning it is effecting my ability to 'fight' (I'm getting worse not better).

Also trying to cross train something as pernickety about coiling, breathing and 'flow' is absolutely useless. Anything I bring from other sources doesn't 'gel' with the Silat.

Example> Muay 'ushh' breathing on techniques is a no-no for Silat (I get told off!)

Escrima/ Arnis/ Kali(fornia) supposedly and feasibly ticks these boxes. BUT! Having been stabbed (NOT a badge of honour) I can tell you they seem stuck in the fine motor or finer motor skills zone.

Also there's a lot of 'fantasy knifemaster' elements to some of these systems which is pure Disney.

- Techniques should be the same regardless of whether fist or blade

(Silat, Escrima, Some Thai Systems (Difficult to get meaningful quality instruction in the Thai stuff)

- Meaningful Resistance and Feedback in training beyond static drills

This nixs most systems of Silat.

It also calls into question most Filipino Systems - I'm not talking about stickfighting here. Or 'knife-fighting' (A fantasy).

But rather I need to check out whether:

A) That for example the Doce Pares 'Knife Defence' system isn't just Ju Jitsu by another name (looks like it). And how does that Doce Knife system fit with the other principles of that style of Escrima?

B) That Panantukan/ Pangemot is truly 'blade aware' - In that it's training as if a blade was present at all (or nearly all) times

- Should be able to capitalise on my existing skills (you can still stop laughing at the back!)

Panantukan-Pangemot would fit nicely with my existing skills (punch yr bleedin lights out whilst doing you!).

Plus always thought that Dumog was a more combat-orientated form of grappling (how much it crosses and mixs with Pan/ Pan I know not yet?).

So Martial Arts classes to check out through til Feb:

JKD:

Questions include why start with Jun Fan Kickboxing? - What does it offer skillwise? How long are you expected to do these modular elements (jun Fan kb, Muay Thai, Pantukan-Escrima, Combat Wrestling?

(The Panantukan-Escrima and the CSW are what I'm most interested in)

Doce Pares including their 'knife defence' systme and their pangemot-panutukan

Other Arnis

Other systems of Silat?

Continue with the system of Silat I'm doing (and just do more of it?)

Combat JuJitsu - Okay I got a soft spot for a bit of Jits. It's got some great answers to Common Assaults. Just that it's against blades work is an optimistic fantasy (from the systems so far encountered by moi)

I'm also looking at the more Combato-orientated Gross Motor Skills systems such as:

F.R.A.C.T
    Defendo
    Urban Combati
    The Approach (Eddie Quinn)
    Tactical Edge (excellent and could be closest to my needs?)

What do you think?

Anyone reading this no more about Panantukan for example than me? Key Principles?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. SoKKlab

Fool Can't Deadlift No More

Monday 6th Jan 2014

Well this idiot walks into a gym and...

He's spent so long doing rack pulls (Deadlifts for time-pressed/ lazy people) that he's forgotten how to deadlift from the deck.

No joke. Monday's sesh was awful and fun.

I'll come back to this at a slightly later date. I did though knock myself up a Science Fiction like Step Cycle to use for Deads.

And I will be Deadlifting each session (each 5 days approx) for 4 to 5 sets. And going up through this step cycle. For as much as 12 weeks - We'll see how that works out (and indeed how much of a good idea that is) when I head back towards 3 times bodyweight on the bar.

I'd also forgotten how much Sumos completely shred your legs.

:) Worra Numpty

4. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

haha - just wondering how our friends across the pond will translate that statement?! :Angel:

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Re: martials, have you thought about popping along to the Bob Breen Academy?

If it's anywhere near you then it could be worth a shot, I think he still runs a dedicated 'knife defence' class (or similar), also/alternatively if you like the guy's style and can afford it, a 1 hour private per week/fortnight/month and a willing training partner could have you sorted...
    Any of that any good?

Krav is conspicuous by it's absence from your list of considerations, from my limited exposure to the art it could have what you need - claims to be quick to learn and implement, often incorporates gross motor ('argh! block! push! Hulk Smash!') type techniques, and should include scenario sparring. Trick is to find a good one, as I have failed to do twice now (and yes, this might have coloured my opinion of the art). Hmph.

6. SoKKlab

Yes. I will be including 1) A Welsh-English guide and 2) a 'British-English' guide to go along with this log.

Worra (What a) Numpty (Person lacking commonsense and intelligence) As in they is Twp, Stupid, Loopy, Thick etc.

Och ! :)

7. SoKKlab

Martial and Self-Defence Dillemmas

Hi Harry
    I went to see classes there a few ties before. Pretty good.
    BUT! Bob Breen's academy is too pricey and too far away to be feasible.

I don't go to Hoxton much these days (Hmm perhaps I should get a job in an Ad Agency there all to facilitate my cunning plan of ramping up my martial arts studies? And then rule the world...Wahahahahahahha :). )

I could check out his 'knife defence' class as it may be decent enough. As long as it's based on adrenalised scenarios then at least it'll approach something reality-like.

The against blade work we do in Silat is excellent gross motor skills. Just that we don't do enough of it. And there's no real resistance in our training.

IF we trained both sides of the body equally. And there was a bit of resistance. Then I'd continue with it majorly. And train more often.

Certainly a similar system of Silat may work - Again resistance is the big issue.

Ideally (for my martial arts studies) I'm looking for something that shares similar sensibilities to the Silat...But that has a certain amount of resistance and feedback.

Hence my (again) considering Filipino Arnis-Panatukan-Dumog combination etc. I'm not so much interested in stick work as such. But more the ability to transition between empty hand and weapons with the same cues and tools.

I'm going to check out the Doce Pares classes at Willesden Junction in the next week or so. They run multiple classes per night. So it's money well spent IF I'm going to going that way at all (journey's commuting etc).

Each coupla years or so I seem to spend my life going through Willesden Junction. But not at the mo (didn't think I'd miss Willesden Junction so much!).

I'm not sure about the Doce Pares 'knife defence' as it looks like more jujitsu type stuff...But will need to make my own judgement as to whether it would be any assistance. Or whether it be suicidal.

Hulk Smash indeed - From what I saw the static against blade work (answers to hold ups etc) was alright.

But in KraMag the 'someone is trying to kill you' blade work is woeful - Just bad jujitsu. And that's saying something!

There's a dood that teaches Combat KraMag on my street (he denies he does though - utterly bizarre space cadet chat that was).

I'm differentiating between Marts and Self-Defence.

I want something that's approximate to my needs going forward for continuing martial study. Something more than "Hulk Smash kick im in the ead!". A pursuit for the hell of it.

And then I'm considering what straight down the line Self Defence I could do that may grant me opps to make cashflow etc (instructing).

Particularly if I decide to emigrate to somewhere where the women are whewwwww aye caramba!

So far:

The Approach (Eddie Quinn) - Excellent common-sense gross motor skills system

FRACT - Liked their sentiments, although so simple there's not a lot teaching you could do beyond 'Hulk Smash!

Defendo - Bill Underwood's British JuJitsu system. A lot of grappling but from a grounded commonsense reasonably blade aware striking point of view. looked great actually.

And I've got a soft spot for wrestling/ jits. So IF you can combine it with a combatives sensibility...I'm practically sold!

They only got one Rep in the UK though. Mostly they're based in Toronto, Canadia.

Marts wise I'm checking on JKD this weekend. Will plague the instructor with a 1000 questions!

Then go see:

Street Combat Arnis
    Combat JuJitsu

(Notice the use of the word 'Combat' - it must be tough 'Combat Pyjamas!'

coupla others.

I'll let you know what goes on - Off to lift some iron.

Cheers :)

8. SoKKlab

Okay so this last week has seen me back at it with renewed scuush

Monday 6th Jan 2014 was my first sesh for about 3 weeks. Felt great healing up and relaxing. Friday 9th January 2014 my second

Anyroad you may notice I mentioned a few posts back how I'd spent too long rack pulling. And hence my Deadlifts had suffered.

Basically my form has become pants! And that I would now do about 5 or so sets of Deadlifts each session for about the next 8 weeks (more sets and reps when it's actually Deadlift Day). To:

1) Get my form back and practice the technicalities of the Deadlift particularly

2) To start and go through a step-like cycle. The purpose of which is to start waaay below what I would normally lift. And come back up and through to a new plain of conciousness.

And so currently my training frequency is anything from once per 4 to 7 days depending on work and other obligations.

Please remember I'm NOT training to failure in any sets etc. Mostly I'm staying below 10 reps per set in the warmups (except where duly noted).

I'm now trying to keep my weight sessions to 1 hour max ideally 50 mins (followed by 25 mins of bagwork floor2ceiling ball etc)

I'm also doing a bit more in the Mass Range 8 to 6. As I'm looking to get my body to want to suck in calories like a drain right now. As I'm only a skinny bean at 100 kgs (220 lbs).

Deadlifts - From The Deck

Starting my cycle here:

120 kg x 10 (Snatch Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance)
    150 kg x 8 (ditto)
    180 kg x 6 (ditto - straps from here - Musyt work my strength endurance)
    200 kg x 5 (Normal hand and stance placement - Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 5 (ditto)

So that's my starting point. All ohand grip. Whether I do much with mixed grip we'll see. I'll mix sumos in there too. But the principle remains the same. Start by ending your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle and upper sets per session. Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Exciting huh?

Barbell Row (Pendlay for those who get confuzzled)

40 kgs x 10
    50 kg x 10
    60 kg x 8
    80 kg x 7
    100 kg x 6
    120 kg x 4

Strict form. When you grip the bar make sure you 'engage your lats etc first' (pull from your centre back and shoulder girdle - don't pull from your hands). I STILL must remember to shoot a clip about this as I keep chopsing about it.

I usually do Barbell Row first as a warmup for the T-Bar. The Barbell Row is a bit more technical. And I'm a stickler for form. So the lift is harder but the effect is lesser (wow huge mass maximum bangbang!) than the T-Bar Row.

T-Bar Row

80 kg x 10 (motorbike grip)
    95 kg x 8 (fists up grip)
    110 kg x 6 (motorbike grip)
    130 kg x 5 (fists up)
    140 kg x 5 (ditto)

Leg Press

360 kgs x 8
    410 kgs x 8
    470 kgs x 6
    540 kgs x 6
    600 kgs x 6

Push through your heels and centre foot IF you want to stop 'knee pressure'. Mine are high on the board with feet out wide (for a 55% ****, hams, hips to 45% quads ratio)

Single-Arm "Kettlebell Swing" (56 lb post office 'metal lock' weight)

Like doing these for the mobility etc.

x 8 per arm (swings from hips to parallel)

Bagwork, Floor 2 Ceiling Ball etc

100 pound or so bag. About 25 minutes of continuous bangbang. Fast hands as 3, 5, 7 punch combinations (7 per second).

Some elbows particularly diagonal upwards Sok Sab and juts. Sets of continuous roundhouses. Making sure it get goodly hip into it.

My roundhouses are getting better again. As I started to really break down the sequence again. 2 sets of 7 Kuching Roundhouses from the deck to cut the bag in two as a finisher (puff puff).

Stretch out and some Chocolate Milk (STILL no magical powers) and Chocolate Tiffin :hat:

Bwyd Da Mochyn

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  9. SoKKlab

In My Gripper

Monday 13th January 2014

My first grip sesh of the year. Must remember to log these in case you're interested in....Gripping?

Why? (Kung Fu Tele Series Grandmaster Says)

"Those who grip harder get a stronger hold on life grasshopper"

Just the crush grips. Nowt else. Sometimes I do a little on the upright plate-loaded gripster at the gym. And some occasional plate-wafting. When my feable brain remembers to do so.

But in the main it's crush gripping that wins out - Biggest bang for one's buck, what?

250 pound Gripper

x 5 per hand (curl grip elbow tucked in)
    x 6 (ditto with with 5 second static close)
    x 6 (curl grip and overhead close)
    x 5 (ditto and 5 second closes)

300 pound Gripper

x 3 (curl grip and ohead)
    x 3 (ditto)

Major Hyperirradiation on the 300 pounders. Meant I felt like I'd squatted a Rhino. Hence why I do my gripwork at least 2 days before any Deadlifts etc. Cos it takes it out of you. And you need to put it back see?

Exploding Death Star Hand Stretch and Isometric for the antagonists (woooo Sci-fi)

Hulk Smash...:hat:

10. SoKKlab

Wednesday 15th January 2014

Well...You may recall as to how my Deadlift form has become pants? And that I would now do about 5 or so sets of Deadlifts each session for about the next 8 weeks (more sets and reps when it's actually Deadlift Day)?

My purpose?

1) Get my form back and practice the technicalities of the Deadlift particularly

2) To start and go through a step-like cycle. The purpose of which is to start waaay below what I would normally lift. And come back up and through to a new plain of conciousness.

And so currently my training frequency is anything from once per 4 to 7 days depending on work and other obligations.

Please remember I'm NOT training to failure in any sets etc. Mostly I'm staying below 10 reps per set in the warmups (except where duly noted). No belts, chainmail nappies or other 'leet gear' was worn during the making of this production...

I'm now keeping my weight sessions to 1 hour max ideally 50 mins (followed by 25 mins of bagwork floor2ceiling ball etc). By the clock.

I'm also doing a bit more in the Mass Range 8 to 6. As I'm looking to get my body to want to suck in calories like a drain right now. As I'm only a skinny bean at 100 kgs (220 lbs) - Perhaps lighter! Strewth!

Armed only with a strong cup of black coffee - Percol Espresso...Nice!

Squats

Der First Back Squat session of the year (none for a month). Now doing Squats then doing Deadlifts is probably a really stupid idea...Thought I'd take a little easy for first Squat sesh?

70 kgs x 8 (pausation)
    100 kgs x 7 (pausation and fast pos)
    130 kgs x 5 (ditto)
    160 kgs x 4 (ditto)
    180 kgs x 2
    205 kgs x 2

That was knackering. The weights were easy enough. But the reppage was stressy. My back was surprisingly solid (89.999777%).

I really feel doing Zerchers has helped my Back Squat a lot. As I was dreading getting any twinges from the compression.

125 kg x 10 (Snatch Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance) Form awful
    155 kg x 8 (Sumos Double Ohand) Still Awful
    180 kg x 6 (ditto - straps from here - Must work my strength endurance) Yes awful
    200 kg x 5 (Normal hand and stance placement - Double Ohand) Finally twigged how to
    210 kgs x 5 (ditto) (purposely stopped at where the cycle says to) Gurned a lot here

All ohand grip. Add some mixed grip next week. rinciple remains the same. Start by ending your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets per session. Take it reasonably easy. Build slowly with consistency. Enjoy yourself and the process.

Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Still exciting, huh?

Hack Squat Calf Raise

Still awesome these. That 45 degree angle pumps your lower legs muchly.

140 lbs x 35
    200 lbs x 28
    240 lbs x 21

Much harder than doing upright calf raises (and I was doing them with triple the weight I'm using on the hack squat calf raises). So glad Bodybuilder Andy showed me these.

Bagwork (knackered). Fast hands, Roundhouses Kicks - better. Kuching Roundhouses 3 sets of 7 from the deck. Speedball 5 minutes to finish.

Hmmm Beef Mussaman

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Are you getting full closes with the 300lb gripper?

Have you had a chance to check this class oooot yet? If so, thoughts, etc?

Hmm, would continuing the Silat class AND doing some 'resistance and feedback' training with a willing partner outside the class be a realistic possibility?

I have been to one DP class (well three classes at the same club with the same leader) which I didn't like, not because of the techniques or drills, but there was no 'fighting attitude' in the drilling, even at the higher speeds (claimed 'intensity', it wasn't intense) - e.g. non active hand just drifting rather than in tight guard, flat feet with no forward/backward pressure, no movement outside of the defined/limited/sloppy/unnecessary drill footwork.

The worst part was when I recognised a two man drill we have in the kali system I do (within which I understand the reason for every movement), although it was a little different. When I asked the inevitable 'why' question, the answer was 'because that's the drill.' No evidence of independent thought! That's not the kind of martial scientist I want to spend very much time/effort/energy with...

Didn't like it at all, but maybe it was instructor specific rather than art specific, let me know what you think of the DP class near you ;)

This is something that I am re-reconsidering; for me the downsides are along the lines of 'being responsible for running a class and paying bills on the room rental', but has the advantage of (potential) cash flow, more training partners, the satisfaction of helping someone learn something new/improve a skill. Might have a chat to my regular training partner about this and see what he thinks, whether we can share teaching responsibilities etc.

For you, it seems like you a) know what you want to train, b) know enough of what to train, and how to train it, and c) seem aware enough to realise when the training needs adjusting (i.e. experimentation).
    I think if you can find the right time (of day/week), frequency, venue and main training partner (v useful for demos/explanations), you should seriously consider giving the teaching/SD club a pop and see how it goes. You can always change your mind later.

12. SoKKlab

Hi Harry
    Yes it's reasonably easy. On a good day when the sun's at the right angle I get full closes with the 350 lb gripper too. Although I don't attempt it too often as it takes it's toll on other hefty training (strong effect on your CNS).

Am also making sure I don't bring on any tendonitus either. That reared its ugly head a few times recently. Hence why I'm doing my closes with curl grip elbow tucked in at side and straight ohead now - No angled out elbow, less irritation.

Tis miles away so I need an excuse to be down that way. Not been to Hoxton for 2 years. Your prompt will nudge me to look at his website and see what's what.

NOTE TO SELF - Look at Bob Breen's website and suss out classes...

The prices are the thing that put me off years ago..."How Much?!" :cry: True that good instruction is worth paying for...

What System of KALI do you do again? Could you point me to their website?

Finding willing training partners is like hen's teeth. I was running a Muay/ Bareknuckle type group here until a couple of years ago. But it takes commitment on all's behalf. Particularly when weather's bad and we were training outside...

We'll see about finding others. Been missing the Silat that's for sure. We'll see what the JKD class is like. And a few other things nearby.

The SD-orientated hotlist is currently:

Defendo - Been in contact with them re seminars etc. They also teach R.A.T Seminars

Fract - Simple, practical, perhaps not 'enough'?

The Approach - Practical stuff, simple concepts to get across for pure SD

Tactical Edge - Excellent. Inhabits both the self-defence aspect and has an extended modular syllabus that allows for further martial study. Nearest class is 40 mile or so away. Org's based in Scotlandia.

The On-going Marts hotlist is:

JKD - (junfan kickbox, muay thai, panantukan/ arnis etc, combat sub wrestling)

Arnis (Tres Puntas? Street Combat Arnis etc)

Silat - My Usual plus others

Older Muay - Time to get some proper teaching credentials in Chaiya? Muay Korat etc? Also Krabi? Been in touch with the General about seminars etc.

Thanks. The only reason so far NOT gone ahead with any of this is because my circumstances are a tad fluid at the mo. So can't make any firm commitments for a coupla months.

It's a matter of keeping my hand in with Marts at the mo. Until I'm clearer about what's going on with career (lol) etc.

Cheers :star:

13. SoKKlab

Dai Fatty!

You might remember I mentioned a few posts back how I'd spent too long rack pulling. And hence my Deadlifts had suffered, badly. My form had disintegrated - That's what you get for quick and easy...

So I said I would do about 5 sets of Deadlifts each session for the next 8 weeks (more sets and reps when it's actually Deadlift Day). As some kind of cycle, to:

And so currently my training frequency has gone Monday Friday Wednesday Monday so far (4 days, 5 days, all really scientific...)

Please remember I'm NOT training to failure in any sets etc. Mostly I'm staying below 10 reps per set in the warmups (except where duly noted).

I'm now keeping my weight sessions to 1 hour max ideally 50 mins (followed by 25 mins of bagwork floor2ceiling ball etc)

I'm also doing a bit more in the Mass Range 8 to 6. As I'm looking to get my body to want to suck in calories like a drain right now (so far this means I'm eating us out of house and home and waking up in the middle of the night and raiding the fridge!).

Full-fat cottage cheese (the old bodybuilding fallback) has become my friend. Weight still about 100 kgs (220 lbs).

2nd week of my cycle? Lost count already...

120 kg x 8 (Superslow - Snatch Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance)
    150 kg x 8 (Mixed Grip Normal Stance)
    180 kg x 8 (Double Ohand - straps from here - More strength endurance needed)
    200 kg x 5 (Normal hand and stance placement - Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 5 (ditto)

Form not great. Bit knackered (not enough sleep since years). Want my grip endurance to catch up with the rest of me. As I'm sick of needing to use straps from 180-200 kgs onwards. Will start to lower the reps next week. As reppage is too high.

We'll see how fast I heal up and recoup from a few weeks of doing this. I may need to slow down. Or change tack. Principle remains the same though. Start by ending your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets per session. Then raise the upper. Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...Exciting huh?

Barbell Row (Pendlay for those who get confuzzled)

40 kgs x 10
    65 kg x 6
    85 kg x 6
    105 kg x 5
    120 kg x 4

Strict form. When you grip the bar make sure you 'engage your lats etc first' (pull from your centre back and shoulder girdle - don't pull from your hands).

I see people jerking this lift and trying to 'explode!' it - You just end up looking like a knobjockey and hurting your back. The point is to do this smoothly and let your back do the work not your hips etc...

T-Bar Row

85 kg x 8 (motorbike grip)
    115 kg x 6 (motorbike grip)
    130 kg x 5 (fists up)
    140 kg x 5 (ditto)

"The Lamentation of Their Wimmin..."

Standing Hammer Curl Bar Ohead Press

You may remember I been getting shoulder joint problems? Part my fault. And part agitation from the standard barbell ohead press. So seeking other options I experiment.

Attached is a picture of the bar in question. Nice natural action to these presses. Palms face side of head.

Will do them again. Really hard because the bar shakes about as you press it. Which is 'challenging'.

20 kg x 20
    40 kg x 10
    60 kg x 6
    80 kg x 4

Shoulders felt fine afterwards.

B.O.DBell Shoulder Row

2 x 35 kg Dbs x 8 reps (ran out of time anyway)

Single-Arm "Kettlebell Swing" (56 lb post office 'metal lock' weight)

Like doing these for the mobility etc.

56 lbs x 8 per arm (swings from hips to parallel)
    x 6 (ditto)

100 pound or so bag. About 25 minutes of continuous bangbang. Fast hands as 3, 5, 7 punch combinations (7 per second).

Some elbows particularly diagonal upwards Sok Sab. Sets of continuous roundhouses. Making sure it get goodly hip into it.

My roundhouses are getting better again. As I started to really break down the sequence again. 2 sets of 7 Kuching Roundhouses from the deck to cut the bag in two as a finisher.

Stretch out and some Chocolate Milk (STILL no magical powers) and a Free protein choccy bar out of the stash of promo grub that gym owner gets sent (Nice :cool: )

Takum Big Care

Attached Files:

14. SoKKlab

Not As Good As You Think You Am

Friday 24th January 2014

Still 2nd week of my cycle? Not sleeping great at the mo (boo!). 100 Kgs (220 pounds, lower body fat now though)

Old Skool! Bodybuilding! Weights 1 hour. Why? Cos I Likes It.

Form? Are you kidding? Awful as promised. Note the sneaky Hook Grip and the use of Liquid Chalk.

120 kg x 6 (Superslow - Snatch Width Hook Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance)
    155 kg x 6 (Double Ohand Hook Grip Normal Stance - Chalk)
    185 kg x 4 (Sumo Double Ohand - straps from here - Damn you grip endurance)
    200 kg x 3 (Normal hand and stance placement - Straps Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 3 (ditto)

Gradually I'll get more efficient at the Deadlift again. What's missing now is 'flow'. Far too much jerk n shirk. Once I nail my form again then my action will be smoother. So no rush to lug anything weightier at present. As it's der form what done it.

Started lowering the reps now. As reppage was too high. Goal is to Deadlift each session (not gonna happen if you do too much reppage). Monday Friday Wednesday Monday etc.

I'm also looking to build my grip endurance. So I can hold heftier weights without resorting to straps - Part of me just wants heftier for the pure lift. But I'm fighting that by trying to keep only the top 2 sets those I add straps with. lad dee dah...

Trick is then with Deadlifting each sesh is to NOT do too much set and reppage. So I recoup easy enough for the next sesh. Build the ability to rep out in the middle range. Resist the 'want to lamp it right now' mentality. Just a reasonably smooth transition.

Principle remains the same though. Start by ending your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs or 1 rep to the middle sets per session. Then raise the upper. Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

The 1 Rep Gain = Best Measure of Progress beyond just 'heftier'.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...As Exciting as the last time I wrote that huh?

Zercher Squats

The Mighty Zercher. What's not to like?

These are a lot easier now. Made progress without that much effort. A Duh! Moment...Adaptation is not necessarily about raw strength but also about better technique. I'm a lot more efficient at doing these now and so can handle more weight...

65 kgs x 8
    85 kgs x 7
    105 kgs x 6
    135 kgs x 5

200 kgs Zercher coming up by June 2014?

Leg Press

Take no notice. Only Wimps Leg Press. It's not a real lift. Nothing to see here...

A good 45 degree slanter this basic machine.

360 kgs x 8
    410 kgs x 8
    470 kgs x 6
    540 kgs x 6
    600 kgs x 6

Push through your heels and centre foot IF you want to stop 'knee pressure'. Mine are high on the board with feet out wide (for a 55% ****, hams, hips to 45% quads ratio)

Had a brief go on the softer 65 pound bag to start. Too much bosh not enough bish. And some speedball - keep that going until your shoulders feel like they're popping off.

Then 100 pound or so bag. About 25 minutes of continuous bangbang. Fast hands as 3, 5, 7 punch combinations (7 per second).

Some elbows particularly diagonal upwards Sok Sab and 'Hacksaws' - Grinding arm.

Sets of continuous roundhouses. Making sure it get goodly hip into it.

My roundhouses are getting better (more) - Although I ran out of puff and did what I could towards the end.

2 sets of 7 Kuching Roundhouses from the deck to cut the bag in two as a finisher. Some floor to ceiling ball just for the zing.

Stretch out and some Chocolate Milk (STILL no magical powers) and Chocolate Protein Bar (as long as it's chocolate I'm in)

Not much Martialling done this week - Nobody wants to come out to play - TRAINING PARTNER WANTED FOR OLD SKOOL MUAY ETC :)

15. SoKKlab

Bad Head Day

Wednesday 29th January 2014

3rd week week of cycle? Sleeping better - Thanks for asking. Bodyweight still around 100 Kgs (220 pounds, lower body fat).

Had a minging headache. And boo the freezing rain. As I work from home a lot I need to make sure I'm not in that 'hmm toastey inside' mindset. Made it the 2 mile walk in less than desirable conditions.

More Old Skool Bodypowerbuilding! Weights 1 hour max (to the clock). Why? Well it keeps me out of trouble...

Didn't feel up to much when I started. But as with a lot of time. The seshs you feel worst to start come out bestest in the end.

So remember at present I am deadlifting for 5 easy sets each time (only, unless it's 'back day') I lift weights (monday friday wednesday 4 days 5 days 5 days 4 days - sci-fi huh?).

Form still awful. Note again the sneaky Hook Grip and the use of Liquid Chalk. Reps are always kept under 10 for warmups. Work sets are generally 6 and below. Although you may see me sneak stealthily in and out of the mass range (8 to 6).

120 kg x 6 (Superslow - Snatch Width Hook Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance)
    160 kg x 5 (Double Ohand Hook Grip Normal Stance - Chalk)
    190 kg x 4 (Sumo Double Ohand - straps from here - Better grip endurance)
    205 kg x 3 (Normal hand and stance placement - Straps Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 3 (ditto)

Stopped there. Added a few more reps in the middle sets (progress). Stopping at 210 kgs at the mo. Yes I could lift a lot more. But I want to build my ability to hold the bar without using straps etc - Just my current mindset (subject to change).

Trick is NOT do too much set and reppage. So I recoup easy enough for the next sesh. Build the ability to rep out in the middle range. Resist the 'want to lamp it right now' mentality. Just a reasonably smooth transition.

Principle remains the same though. Start by ending your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs or 1 rep to the middle sets per session. Then raise the upper. Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

The 1 Rep Gain = Best Measure of Progress beyond just 'heftier'.

EG 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 at 150, 180, 200, 210 kgs becomes 6, 5, 4, 3 at 170, 190, 220, 240 kgs and so on...As Exciting as the last time I wrote that huh?

Good Mornings

A gym buddy B turned up and so we did some Goods. With a Barbell in Back Squat position (you can do a Good Morning in a Zercher Position too - But that's seriously hardcore).

Keep the bar tight to your traps. Refrain from letting it roll about. Go down to 90 degrees flat back smoothly. Fire back with your entire posterior chain as if some arsehat has jumped your back and you want to spear them on something sharp behind you.

Need to be respected Goods. Start much lighter than you think you should be doing. Keep it all tight. Do not slack for one second else you'll do yourself a mischief!

40 kgs x 10
    60 kgs x 8
    80 kgs x 6
    110 kgs x 5

Standing Hammer Curl Bar Ohead Press

You may remember I been getting shoulder joint problems? Part my fault. And part agitation from the standard barbell ohead press. So seeking other options I experiment.

Nice natural action to these presses. Palms face side of head.

Really hard because the bar shakes about as you press it (so your forearms get some grip action grip fans) Which is 'challenging'.

20 kg x 20
    40 kg x 10
    60 kg x 8
    80 kg x 6 (more reppage)

Shoulders feel excellent afterwards. As opposed to with a Oly BB where my shoulder joints feel like they are burning in hot oil.

Bent.O.Dumbell Shoulder Row

2 x 35 kg Dbs x 10
    2 x 40 kgs x 8
    2 x 45 kgs x 5
    2 x 50 kgs x 5

Side Shoulder Dumbell Raise

2 x 15 kgs x 10
    2 x 20 kgs x 8
    2 x 25 kgs x 6

Grip Work - Crush Gripper

Took the 250 lb gripper with me for a nice day out.

For the fist integrity - Maybe a bit more Gripping on Saturday?

Had a brief go on the softer 65 pound bag to start. Bit kinder to the unmitted hands. And some speedball - keep that going until your shoulders feel like they're popping off.

Then 100 pound or so bag. About 25 minutes of continuous bangbang. Fast hands as 3, 5, 7 punch combinations (7 per second).

Some elbows particularly diagonal upwards Sok Sab and 'Hacksaws' - Grinding arm, Axe Knee etc.

Sets of continuous roundhouses. Making sure it get goodly hip into it.

My roundhouses are getting better still. I also did a combination roundhouse knee (halfway between the kick and the knee)

2 sets of 7 Kuching Roundhouses from the deck to cut the bag in two as a finisher. Some floor to ceiling ball just for the zing.

Stretch out and some Chocolate Milk (STILL no magical powers) and Chocolate Protein Bar...Hmmm Kung Po Chicken and Rice...

Not much Martialling done this week - Although depending what happens in the next couple of weeks the Thai Martial Arts Group may be back on (hot news!).

Also lined up a couple of Martial Seminars to go to for March.

16. SoKKlab

Krabi Krabongo...

Saturday 1st February 2014

Okay it was a dreek day. But no matter. My butty Dio came across from the west of Wales. Not seen him in a few years. So wanted to make the most of it. And he brought a few Thai sabres (daabs) with him.

We did some Krabi Krabong in a quiet corner of the park. Much to the dismay of dog walkers and mammy's and daddy's - Two mad Welshies started beating each other silly with swords.

They're real sharps. But worry not! We kept them secured in their scabbards. And wrapped those in some (we found out too thin) foam sheaths.

Krabi Krabong (Swords and Empty Hand)

Firstly we ran through basic positions. Parries, Cuts, Strikes, Stops and Blocks. With just the weapons. Then combined with hand and foot fighting.

As you probably know most weapons systems use similar positions (after all only so many angles). Krabi like all arts has styles usually aligned with temples or regions.

We did some basic parry and run 'em through drills. Some basic 'figure of 8' style parries and blocking. Trying to parry with the flat of the blade - Same principle as the Muay Chaiya "4 B's Parries" - ideally glancing the attack to the side and countering with thrusts.

Whilst Krabi does contain a lot of direct blade to blade work, there are a lot of subtleties.

But! Subtly was out the window really as we fell about on the mud a lot whilst sparring.

At one point Dio missed with a swithing cut to my head (still don't like me much...). I could claim magical ability here but I slipped and he missed. And I ran him perfectly through like a kebab - That's my Ling Lom kicking in :)

Afterwards we did a bit of weapons fighting from the ground against a standing opponent. And a bit of fighting on the ground with and without weapons.

A lot of folk don't know that some schools of Krabi Krabong possess their own empty hand work which is not muay (and can be quite different in intent and form although similar in look).

Others Krabi schools insist you learn an old style of muay first. As that'll teach you the basic principles of the Krabi they teach you.

We came back from the park looking a right state. Like a pair of 8 year olds.

At which point after a hearty meal to go off armed to the teeth around the north circular -

"Good Day Sir Can you tell me WHY your boot is filled with razor sharp swords?"

"Well Officer I was going to drop in on someone I hadn't seen in a while and...Oh no that's sounds a bit wrong..."
    :Angel:

17. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

:D Nothing gets you "those" kinda of looks like what appears to be a duel to the death in the park with swords (even if they are only alu trainers ociffer)

Re: parrying and blocking with the blade, I'm guessing it's similar to kali where you angle yourself away (if you can), and 'cut' your block so you make contact with the flat of the blade?

I asked my instructor whether it was better to block/parry with the flat or the edge (as with the edge is stronger (for a lower quality blade) but with the flat preserves your sharpness and promotes deflection over force on force), he said "which one is right? Yes".
    Good ol' cryptic for 'each has its time and place'...

Sounds fun though!

18. SoKKlab

Depends on the system of Krabi or Fan Daab - But yes. I was surprised years ago to realise there were styles and systems of both arts. And that some of were radically different.

We were trying to do a bit more fan daab (ish) technique. Most of the Krabi systems bang them sabres together like pots and pans - Hence the 'sparking' you see sometimes during bouts/ demos.

The Fan Daab (Single Sword Styles) so far encountered by me (and a lot of the Burmese Banshay systems too) tend to use higher-quality blades. Hence trying to parry with the flat of the blade.

Well actually the Burmese systems usually want to use the flat because they're so poor they daren't break their swords. I noticed though that the fan daab systems of northern thailand prefer flat of the blade parries - Only seen a few though.

I got to say my skills are somewhat lacking with little practice. Although my staff work (both Thai and Western is still okay). I did get a play with the Mae Sok (Big Elbows) too - These are Tonfa like 'batons' with blades at the business end.

I asked Prang, the guy I used to learn off years ago -

"Is it better to use the flat or the edge to parry?"

- His answer in 'cod kung fu series ingrish' was

"All is okay, just don't lose fingers!"

Twas. Am hoping to meet up with again in a few months. We'll see.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  19. SoKKlab

Grip Pulls and Presses

Sunday 2nd February 2014

Not done much grip work lately. And also neglected expander/ strand pulling. So a leisurely 40 minutes was spent 'exercising for health' whilst watching an Options Trading presentation (multitasking) :)

Pilates Band Warmup

The heftiest Pilates Band is 50 lb or so of resistance. So I double it up to make maybe 100 lb resistance. And that makes for a good warmup.

In which I did: Band Aparts, Shoulder Dislocations, Crucifix Pull and Press and Chest Expander - Continuously for 5 minutes.

Nice pump of the shoulders to begin.

Crush Grippers

Alternating Crush Gripping with Expander work

250 lb Crush Grip

x 5 (per arm natch)
    x 6 (with a 10 sec hold at closed)
    x 5 (ditto - working on my grip endurance more now)

300 lb Crush Grip

Bit wiped out from Saturday's Krabi in the park. Amazing how a couple of hours of slipping about in the mud whilst sword twizzling can knacker you.

Expander - Power Pushup

Still not managed to get hold of an Elastikon 5 (300 lb plus resistance?) expander yet. I could get the Elastikon 4 but don't know how much resistance that would be? Maybe 250 lbs?

Might treat myself to a Samson Expander (400 plus lb resistance?) instead.

Anyway am still using my trusty Power Pushup 2 (still going strong since 2005) - which has about 240 lbs of resistance. To do my current 'most bestest' exercise.

Diagonal Cross Press and Pulldown

Hold the strand in front of you at a diagonal angle. Your upper hand palm out. Lower hand palm down.

Breath in. Suck your guts in and keep tight whilst breathing.

Now start the motion by pressing up and back into a single arm shoulder press. And just after start the downward 'pulldown' which is actually a pressing motion too. Press down and back.

You end up doing a shoulder press and triceps pulldownpress at the same time. Really hard. I usually hold each rep for a few seconds in the expanded position. This really makes it like being strained through a mincer. But the benefit to my shoulders is excellent.

x 5 (because it's hard)

Whilst this is an 'all-body' exercise...If you want to work the middle head and inner head of your triceps more then twist your downward palm out more (little finger side turns out).

Punch Press

I like doing these as they (along with Zercher Squats) allow you to hold a really strong guard. So you can stop your arms getting smashed down by strikes to your arms etc.

But I need more resistance.

Bring a good bareknuckle boxing guard up. Both hands extend across your centreline (ala Figg, Mendoza etc).

Punch out lead hand. Whilst holding your rear tight and forward (which makes it much harder).

x 16 (per arm)

Some wall stretches to finish (particularly to stretch out my hinky shoulders). Great fun. And duly noted to self about doing this again sooner.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  20. SoKKlab

Cottage Cheese for the Win

Full-fat cottage cheese (the old bodybuilding fallback) has become my friend - Casein butty. Seems to satiate me of a night. Although I went a bit carb crazy this week. And my sleep has been terrible.

Weight still about 100 kgs (220 lbs).

This is what I did on Monday 3rd February 2014

How many weeks of Deadlifts each session? Lost count already...4?

Anyway yes 5 sets of deads at the start of each session - Purpose? To get better form and build better grip endurance.

125 kg x 8 (Superslow - Snatch Grip Double Ohand Normal Stance)
    155 kg x 8 (Mixed Grip Normal Stance)
    185 kg x 5 (Double Ohand - straps from here - More strength endurance needed)
    205 kg x 4 (Normal hand and stance placement - Double Ohand)
    210 kgs x 3 (ditto)

Knackered (not enough sleep since years). Grip endurance is slowly catching up with the rest of me. As I'm sick of needing to use straps from 180-200 kgs onwards. Not going beyond 210 kgs at the mo until my grip catches up.

Start by ending your sets well below your max. Build up by adding 5 kgs to the middle sets per session. Then raise the upper. Come down in reps as you start to lift heftier.

Barbell Row (NOT a Bent o Row)

45 kgs x 10
    65 kg x 6
    85 kg x 6
    105 kg x 5
    125 kg x 4

Strict form. When you grip the bar make sure you 'engage your lats etc first' (pull from your centre back and shoulder girdle - don't pull from your hands).

Do it smoothly and let your back do the work not your hips etc...

T-Bar Row

85 kg x 8 (motorbike grip)
    115 kg x 6 (motorbike grip)
    130 kg x 5 (fists up)
    140 kg x 5 (ditto)

The T-Bar Row is of course epic. Keep it all tight though, else...Twang.

Good Mornings

Again - Twice in a row. Keep the bar tight to your traps. Refrain from letting it roll about. Go down to 90 degrees flat back smoothly. Fire back with your entire posterior chain as if some arsehat has jumped your back and you want to spear them on something sharp behind you.

Keep it all tight. Do not slack for one second else you'll do yourself a mischief!

60 kgs x 8
    80 kgs x 6
    110 kgs x 5

Some elbows particularly diagonal upwards Sok Sab. Jumping Knees and Axe Knees. Sets of continuous roundhouses. Making sure it get goodly hip into it.

2 sets of 7 Kuching Roundhouses from the deck to cut the bag in two as a finisher.

Stretch out and some (mixed) chocolate and hazelnut (new!) Milk!

More training Friday - Some good sleep would be great...See ya

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014