Why would you wrap a punching bag in ducttape?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Chr9is, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

Hi, my TKD instructor had 2 punching bags in the dojo, one of which was covered completly in a layer of duct tape. What exactly is the reason for this? I can't see any benefits except perhaps less padding and a rougher striking surface.

2. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

a longer life on the thing, so u won't rip it or tear it or slaughter it within a few months

3. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

basically that, you'll also notice that some bags have tape only around the middle part, for the same reason, to increase life

4. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

hahahaha its probably the only thing holding it in one piece!!!

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

people use duct tape when they want to hold something together.

maybe the bag is damaged and he's trying to hold it together.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yep, seen this in a few 'sweat and sawdust' boxing gyms. Heavy bags ain't exactly cheap and you want to get all the life out of them that you can.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Very true. Boxing gyms don't neccessarily spin big bucks. Dojo's or any training place for that matter... so it usually is very much a matter of longevity.

One of the gym we often train with still has these coated canvas bags... they have to be the first prototype of a heavy bag ever invented. If you don't nail them with a roundhouse just right... they just clear the hair and the skin right off your shins. :cry:

8. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

I have one of those!

my dad bought it years ago when he used to train in MT. Its outer surface is like sand paper...I used it for an hour and my knuckles and shins were red,raw and slightly bloody...I now wear gloves...

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've still got a small canvas bag, that'll take the skin off your elbows! :D

10. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Dojang :D

11. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

-_- *DOJANG I have an excuse, i haven't taken TKD lessons for 4 years. Though i do still train diligently.