Why so many high grades

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Lord Bathmat, Mar 2, 2010.

1. BakbakanFighter

BakbakanFighter Valued Member

I am guessing you wont be there then

I am not entirely sure that a machine gun is legal. But if you want to go down that route, I will bring my RPG too

2. Lord Bathmat

Lord Bathmat Valued Member

No I won't be there because i will be in the US triaining with the dog brothers and hopefully competing at there meetings

3. BakbakanFighter

Oh good, I train with them in the UK. If you let me know who you are, we can "play" at the next UK sparring day.

They are a great bunch of guys, although they do fall into the "outside of the PI" category that you seem to put all us "crap" instructors into...

4. Lord Bathmat

I will take back what I said concerning all FMA outside the philipine is crap because it is not. I apologise for that. I was feeling rather ****ed off when i wrote that and unfortunately i took it out on this board. But I what i won't apologise for is that alot of FMA outside the philipines isn't very good (also alot of martial arts in general aren't very good) and to say as somebody have said that money doesn't count isn't true. For example if you look at the Sayoc group they charge quite alot of money to hold seminars.

I will like to wholeheartly apologise to suggest that all FMA outside the philipines is crap because it isn't.

Regards

LB

5. BakbakanFighter

LB,

I cant speak for everyone, but personally and from Bakbakan UK, apology accepted.

We all get wound up, but I would suggest that you chose your words more carefully in future as there are a lot of people outside the PI who love this art. We aim to promote it, represent it and pass on our teachings with great respect. We are passionate and in a lot of cases teach for free in order to keep the art alive. A great example of this is the Annual FMA Festival in June, many of the great FMA instructors from the UK will be teaching there, and not being paid either....

6. Lord Bathmat

Bakbakan,

Thank you for your apology.

I also love the art as i believe that it is one of the most practical system of Self Defense available. But what upsets me is the politics that is involved in the FMA and the skill level of some of the UK instructors which i have seen and then these people act as if they are anything special.

There needs to be more humilty in the FMA and also people (myself included) need to realise there is always someone better than you around the corner.

LB

7. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

LB

Strange apology here. You apologise for saying that the FMA outside of the PI is 'crap' but continue to say that a lot of it 'isn't good.' Aren't you just returning to your original statement but in a slightly less offensive way?

In many martial arts, a lot of top quality instructors have left their homeland to teach overseas. This includes Japan, Korea, China, Thailand and of course, the Philippines.

In the UK, examples that spring to mind include Tatsuo Suzuki (Wado Ryu Karate), Masters Toddy and Sken (Thai Boxing), Ki Ha Rhee (Tae Kwon Do)...etc etc etc the list is long and these people are most certainly not 'crap' (read as not good).

Be sincere in the apology and it may be more gratefully received.

Gumagalang

Peter

8. Lord Bathmat

Peter,

No I am not returning to my original statement. There is alot of Martials arts in the world that is not very good eg Go-Kan Ryu Karate, Choi Kwang Do, etc etc.

When I was alot younger I used to in awe of all these martial arts but as i have got older I have realised that they are no good. The UFC and other MMA tournaments have proven to me (maybe not to you) that western arts such as boxing and wrestling are far more effective thn alot of the eastern arts. Why are they more effective because these western arts spar alot so the individual practioners know what works.

The arts that I like are FMA, Thai Boxing, BJJ, Judo, Boxing, wrestling.

You mentioned TaeKwonDo. Personally for a self defense system I don't like it. But for beauty and high flashy kicks it's superb but how many fights end with a flashy high kick (hardly any).

Concerning Masters Toddy and Sken I think they are superb and they have trained some great fighters.

Don't get me wrong they are probably the other person that is extremely flexible that is able to use Taekwondo but i believe for the average man on the street then no I don't accept it will work for them.

I tend to share similar views to the majority of people that post on Bullshido.

Regards

LB

9. Janno

Janno Valued Member

The irony being that the politics are often started by someone who speaks like he's an authority on the subject, but actually has sweet FA in the knowledge and experience. Couple this with the relative anonymity of internet communications, and you have a perfect source for rumour-spreading and sh*t-talking. ie. politics.

With regards my own life, there is actually some validity in what you say - there was once an individual whom i looked up to and trusted enough to choose as my friend and instructor, and the further he got in his career, the more lazy, two-faced, and ignorant he became. His tall tales about his past, his poor performance, and his constant slandering of other groups created such a poisonous atmosphere that he was eventually rejected by his students, his own organisation, and even the organisation he hopped over to afterwards. I'm sure this has happened before, and will continue to happen in the future, hence there will always be a constant turnover of crap FMA instructors who are motivated only by money and attention. They don't last long though.

In conclusion, the deciding factor in what dictates an individual who is crap has absolutely nothing to do with where they are based. Qualities such as the commitment to their training, their actual hands-on experience (watching FMA vids on Youtube and reading internet forums doesn't count), and their ability to communicate with their students and peers are far more important. I would also say that a person's professionalism, integrity and accountability go a long way too.

On that last note, LB, it's all well and good name-dropping the Dog Brothers and Bullshido, but unless you're willing to post up who you are and what your actual experience is, you'll always come across as some wannabe hard-man who thinks he knows it all, but does a U-turn when he's called out.

10. BakbakanFighter

Er... Have I missed something? I wasnt apologising. Merely graciously accepting your apology. As for there always being someone better than you / me being around the corner, I know that, that is why I always go and find them. Its how I get better!

11. BakbakanFighter

LB,

I am confused, you say that you believe Western arts are more effective than Eastern arts, then say "The arts that I like are FMA, Thai Boxing, BJJ, Judo, Boxing, wrestling".

We I hate to say this but FMA, Thai, Judo are pure Eastern. BJJ comes from JJ which is also Eastern. So 4 out of your 6 preferred arts are Eastern and yet you think they are not as effective... lol

When you say that MMA has proven to you that it is more effective, have you actually had an MMA fight? Or are you talking from the couch perspective??

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Someone rang?

Which Dog Brother will you be training with or do you mean you'll be training with Guro Marc Denny in Dog Brothers Martial Arts? You don't have to go all the way to the US to train with a DB (or in DBMA), though Guro Denny is awesome and if you have the opportunity take it.

I can set you up with DBs/DBMA to train with in Aberdeen, Glasgow, Wigan, Bristol, Birmingham, London or Brighton. If you want to come along to our quarterly UK sparring days drop me a PM and I'll talk you through how we do it.

Colin 'C-Point Dog' Stewart
    GL DBMA

13. Lord Bathmat

Janno,

I will never post my name on any messageboard as i haven't clue who some of the people on this board are.

Secondly Janno concerning politics i totally have to disagree with you. For if you look at Doce Pares there are two main schools? Why when in the early 1980's there was only one.

<<In conclusion, the deciding factor in what dictates an individual who is crap has absolutely nothing to do with where they are based. Qualities such as the commitment to their training, their actual hands-on experience (watching FMA vids on Youtube and reading internet forums doesn't count), and their ability to communicate with their students and peers are far more important. I would also say that a person's professionalism, integrity and accountability go a long way too.>>

That is why i apologised and i retract all that I have said.

LB

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  14. Peter Lewis

Nice advert! :rolleyes:

15. Peter Lewis

LOL Nice way to cushion the blow! Sofa so good. :woo:

16. Lord Bathmat

Bakbakan,

I apologise I made a total error there. I suffer from dyslexia so sometimes what i see is not what has been written.

Concerning Western Martial arts I should have been more accurate. What I should have said is that I respect arts that spar properly eg Boxing, Thai Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, BJJ because they are proven arts.

When I was younger I used to think that the western arts of Boxing, Wrestling and eastern arts of Judo & FMA were crap and all the fancy stuff was the best but as i have grown up I have realised that the opposite is true.

Concerning MMA I have never had a fight but oneday I would like to. When I said it has been proven to me it is effective i mean by watching it on UFC, Cage Rage etc etc. There is still a difference between MMA and actual fighting but in MMA like in boxing, judo, Thai Boxing etc etc, you spar full contact therefore you will be more likely to be able to take a hit than somebody that does a non-contact Martial Art.

LB

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  17. Peter Lewis

LB

Time to throw in the towel. This thread has become worthless crap. You are not in a position to criticise anyone or anything because you can't even speak from a position of your true identiry. I have always felt that pseudonyms should be banned from all forums because of people like you letting out hot air from a position of perceived safety.

18. Lord Bathmat

Peter,

That is your opinion and you are free to it.

Don't worry I will not be posting ever again on this message board.

Enjoy your training.

LB

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Fair point. After all, one of the Sayoc family could actually be on here. And then you'd actually have to accept some accountability for your complaints. If you've got issue with how much he charges, you do have the means to address him directly and openly.

Stuart

20. BakbakanFighter

Enough of all this pillow talk ! Lmao