Why shobu ippon kumite should require headgear--two videos

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mitlov, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

on the excessive padding note, i'm willing to bet that a few years from now people are going to have so much protection they'll be fighting with freaking condoms on.

2. Atre

Atre Valued Member

The hell kinda fencing was that?! Sabre kid taking the baseball bat approach to the sport/you?

Did you ever go to nationals?
    (Okay, I know it's a legal hit for epee and sabre. But it's rather a risky hit for epee)

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Thickness is a sign of poor armour, just packing as much cheap foam onto an area as possible. Good armour uses layers of thin shock dispersing material. The current prototype I'm working with has a thickness of 4mm which in its thickest parts (ribs and sternum) at 3 or 4 layers will prevent breaks from someone kicking a roundhouse or using their forearm full power.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Epee. It's definitely not polite, but it is legal, so it happens sometimes. Depending on how stiff their blade is, it may or may not suck a lot.

As long as you asked, yes. It's been a long time, but I remember traveling to Santa Fe, NM; Colorado Springs, CO; somewhere in Virginia, and somewhere in...Ohio? Iowa? The NM and CO trips may have been regionals instead of nationals. Can't remember for sure. But the midwest and Virginia were nationals. And yes, I got my butt kicked. I was a so-so competitor with a great coach and some extremely successful teammates (one who was offered a spot on the US Olympic team, but turned it down for a free-ride fencing scholarship to college instead...smart gal).

I'm presuming you fenced? Your turn now ;)