Why People HAVE to Squat Differently

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by inthespirit, Jan 10, 2014.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Wasn’t sure whether to post it here or in the flexibility section, I think it probably applies equally to both pursuits.

Anyhow, some great info here:

http://themovementfix.com/the-best-kept-secret-why-people-have-to-squat-differently/#

2. Spenzores

Spenzores New Member

Cool post mate I always curse myself for my feet sticking out in squats especially weighted squats puts my mind at ease :)

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Anybody with healthy joints should be able squat below parallel. Anyone with healthy joints who can't squat below parallel has no place squatting heavy. Fix flexibility restrictions first, then squat heavy. Most people who argue against going deep use it as an excuse to ignore movement dysfunctions.

There's a joke about squat depth being like sex, but it's too rude to post here. :D

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I get that, but what do you reckon about the angle-of-foot bit?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Mine stick out 45-degrees and I can touch my **** to my heels and do oversplits, so as long as your knees stay pain free and you get deep, whatever works man :lifting:

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I can happily sit ass-too-grass without much trouble (I think) but my feet always turn out a little.
    It seems to me that foot angle varies from person to person (some are pigeon toed, some straight and some turned out a bit) so the angle when squatting should naturally vary too?

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

My feet have to be at a 45 degree angle, sometimes more depending on the width of my stance. I can't get into a deep squat without doing this as I'll end up rising up on my toes for balance. You always have to find what works for you in any movement, you just take the generic way of doing things and adapt it.

That said, a personalized "difference" from the generic way shouldn't look like a drastic adaptation that screams heresy due to being an entirely different exercise entirely.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Thanks. I've always thought the same, but was interested in your opinion.

9. GoodHeadkick

GoodHeadkick New Member

Interesting.

The hips are indeed one of those areas in human anatomy which can widely vary. As having broad versus narrow hips can make a world of difference. Personally coming from the narrow hip department and previously having a hernia squatting is not my favourite. Although I need to get back on board with that.

---> GoodHeadKick

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome to MAP GoodHeadKick.

Please do not keep posting advertising links as this violates MAP's Terms of Service and will result in you being banned.

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  11. FusionMMA

FusionMMA New Member

My feet always turn slightly out. I squat all the way down, have no problem getting there but always turn my feet out just a bit. I box squat too but they always point out.

12. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

You say it like it's a problem. Your feet are supposed to point out man.
    30 to 45 degrees is the most common.

13. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

two of the worlds bes O lifters squat with their feet turned out.