Why not?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by bodyshot, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

catch and pro wrestling arent about the sub, the aim is the pin, the sub is a by-product.

but i dont really see the need to change MMA and Sub fighting to anything else. no-gi, ADCC and Metamoris are competitions that take in a variety of styles that are based on fighting to the sub (ideally).

separating out to 2 forums just seems like a minor annoyance because MMA can end in a knockout too (or a boring points decision).

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So it makes more sense to put grappling arts that go for submission or pin in with knockouts rather than grappling arts that have no pin?

I wouldn't mind if the Submission fighting was taken away, as it doesn't really make sense.

You could ideally have a whole wrestling forum, covering Catch, Pro, Greco, Freestyle and folkstyle subforums.

But yeah, basically the Submission fighting part is sort of annoying and confusing. (like what is submission fighting anyway?)

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the sub fighting thing is probably from when MAP first started.

I would actually be very much for a wrestling sub forum and I'm sure a few other people would be interested too (we have a number of wrestlers on here).there are other folk styles like kushti, pehlwani, mongolian wrestling and chinese wrestling too that im sure MAP folks have loads of videos and stuff to talk about.

4. Pretty In Pink

Me too! Just anywhere except the MMA forum. :p

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What madness hath bodyshot wrought?!

After a recent (and one of my last) lesson in BJJ, I described it to a coworker as "combative spooning."

I'm not anticipating that description is going to take off.

6. Pretty In Pink

I just tell people I'm really good at hugging.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think we should split MMA into its own section and grappling disciplines into theirs.....

We could call it "Catch all forum"

*drops the Mike*

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Or "The Shooting gallery"

I am here all week...try the veal

9. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Yea I noticed myself, I got pretty loose this week.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Some good ideas here.

The team will discuss it.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

*hands the mike back*

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Aegis has agreed that we can add a wrestling forum.

So MMA/ submission fighting will become MMA, and they'll be a new wrestling forum.

Hopefully I can get this done today.

13. Pretty In Pink

Woohoo! :)

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Wouldn't hybrid martial arts technically be mixed martial arts any way? After all that's all mixed martial arts is. A hybrid of several different arts fused together to form an overall package with a purpose. MMA in itself as a sport isn't restricted to specific martial arts. Just some work better than others under the rule set associated with it.

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i invented an art today called HWH, it involves furious anger and a decent hammer

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yeah, you know the bit in the ToS about not posting bad language or content inappropriate for younger users of MAP?

Guess how many times that clip breaks the rules :D

You need to avoid any form of profanity in posts as you've had repeated warnings now; next time it'll have to be time on the naughty step. Just keep it polite eh? :)

Mitch

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

The problem is trying to label for either distinctive or prejudice. The fact be known, all martial arts are derived from other arts previous. It is about "evolution of the current era"

In some instances for modern times, "evolution of the current era" becomes "marketing trend/ploy of the current era"