Why not?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by bodyshot, Nov 18, 2014.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Ok some Im fresh off of a ten page thread that was all about what is and isnt MMA, it seemsthat the rest of the world believes that mma only means those systems created in response to the ufc, Im going to try and agree with that since they gave my art a name, they say its Hybrid, ok I can go with that it sounds cool to me and they even showed some respect to the Hybrid systems so Im ok, but if there is a clear distinction why dont we have a hybrid forum, a plave for hybrid martial artists to post?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Because labelling such arts would be impossible.

We have JKD, MMA and there is an argument that others arts have hybrid systems, such as Eskrima.

Kung Fu is a many and varied thing and ultimately I would bet your art already falls into one of the categories we already have, even if you do have a multi style system.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well the term MMA has evolved to the point in popular culture that its something derived via the UFC/Pride/Vale Tudo explosion.

However, as above, JKD, Pancration is MMA before it was "MMA".
    Its a very broad term.

4. bodyshot

Thanks for the reply.

5. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

We can't leave out eclectic styles! ;) they need their own forum. In fact it should be like the ninja one. Sorry had to go there. Lol much respect ninjutsu folk. :)

6. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

But that's the issue, isn't it? I mean even ninjutsu could be considered an eclectic art with the 9 schools/ryu. So it would seem to me that the idea of a question for eclectic matters would be so broad as to fit into General Martial Arts Discussion, so akin to a parent style as to fit into that style's forum here on MAP or so niche (in terms of the art and the expected conversation that said art would generate) as to fit into Other Styles.

Oh, and what Simon said.

Of course, with the smilies you could well just be joshing, but I thought I'd put my two cents in on the matter.

7. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Yup. That is a more clear way of saying what I said. Lol

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Meh, I'm still annoyed that our MMA forum is called "MMA/submission fighting".

9. bodyshot

Me too.

10. Simon

We could change it.

What would you prefer?

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Chadderz' Kingdom

:Angel:

12. bodyshot

I would just like one called Hybrid martial arts/HMA

13. Simon

That isn't going to work for reasons already given.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You would have to demonstrate that it would generate enough content to warrant the effort AND that said content wasn't equally at home elsewhere.

15. John Titchen

I always assumed Hybrid or new stuff that wouldn't identify as being MMA, FMA, CMA or JMA would tend to go in Other styles or WMA.

16. Pretty In Pink

If "Chadderz Kingdom" isn't available.....

Just MMA or Mixed Martial Arts. I personally wouldn't mind merging BJJ with Submission Wrestling. I just think it makes more sense.

What do you think? :)

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Nah, the catch and pro-wrestlers (hannibal, just hannibal) will get their undies knotted.

18. John Titchen

Sadly, as much as I respect and appreciate BJJ, the term is forever linked in my mind with this sketch. I'm never 'not' going to think of it.The word 'submission' added in just makes it worse.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpceOOk2zog"]Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Sketch - YouTube[/ame]

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Special friendships are formed between another man's legs.

20. Pretty In Pink

Submission Wrestling covers no-gi, ADCC and Metamoris. I don't see why Submission Wrestling isn't a good name that covers all? Ask him I guess :)

I've never seen that sketch before, haha!

So that's a no to "submission wrestling"?